Degenerative Disc Disease

Hi I am new to this board so just wanted to pop in and ask others about what they use for the cronic pain dealing with this disease. I was 21 when first diagnosed I am now 54. I am taking Gabapentin,( 30 years on this ) Amitriptiline and Arthrotec. When my last exray was taken the techc. came back and asked me if I had been in a sky-diving accident. The discs L4 - L5 are so compressed. I have bone spurs rubbing on the nerve sheaths hence the Gabapentine for nerve pain. Just wanted to hear from others who have been dealing with this and how have you managed your pain. I want to come off all the meds and have cut back on the Gabapentine but cant seem to cut back any further. Thanks

10 replies. Join the discussion

I also have degenerative disc disease same place. Stretching does help walking a lot! Also yoga. Walking is the best. If you also have a compression surgery may be the answer. I had two and although I got no relief it helps a lot of people. Just make sure you have the very best surgeon you can! Very important. Of course surgery is a last resort! Also try acupunture. Heard a lot of good things about it! I hope you find relief and that something can help you! Good luck and God Bless!

Thanks for the reply I have some yoga on my lap top so I will do that, I have heard good things about it. I do walk alot and I do stretching before I do anything else in the morning. I have been told years ago that they do not do surgery on this so have just tried to figure it out on my own. I will not !!!! take anymore drugs than I have to so I can function during the day. Take care :-)

I don't know how bad your bone spurs are, but any new exercise needs to be carefully monitored because of the way the excess bone restricts movement.

A rule of thumb, if it hurts when you do it, not just a tight feeling, then stop. Tissues rubbing against those bone spurs or bone on bone sets up an inflammatory response which can be very painful. If any disc material is extruded you'll be asking for pain relief right away.

Those of us with damaged spines really need to be cautious. Nothing wrong with strengthening and lengthening the muscles associated with the pelvis, hamstrings and those all along the abdomen.

Check out Foundation Training.

I am currently going to water therapy. My favorite exercise they have me doing is water traction. I put weights on my ankles and then using a water flotation float in the deep end for 10 min. It feels so wonderfull. I have DDD fibromyalgia and a neurological disorder that causes tumors on my nerve roots. I have 2 on my spinal cord. I have also had a lumbar fusion and also a cervical fusion. Shelly

Shelly I have not heard of water therapy but will look into what they have at our pool. I also need to shed about 10 lbs and I know it will help. I am looseing but its so slow. Yes I have been told to be careful about what types of excersises I do because of the bone spurs and I really dont want more pain but I know I have to keep moving. I do walk alot for my job. I find by the end of my day I am a pretty sore girl. I ache so bad somedays I dont want to move. Last week I was walking and I felt like something shifted and it HURT, went away so did not do anything about it. Oh dear I did not want to come off as a cry baby. Sorry. Just so tired of this.

Oh yes I do water arobics too! Love it! The weight thing sounds good! I do agree doc says try it if it hurts quit and even if it doesn't don't overdo! I sure know when I do!

I'd love to go to water to exercise but the chemicals in the water tend to bother me. I have several sensitivities to chemicals. The water traction mentioned sounds like it would be gentle enough to feel good.

I was thinking of trying one of those water bed massages. You don't actually lay in water, but on it. Anyone tried those? There's one spa not too far away that has one.

Strengthening core muscles can support the low back better, but this needs to be done under supervision of a skilled PT. If you are in a lot of pain, and surgical intervention is not likely to be helpful, then a chronic pain protocol similar to what you are on can help.

Other drugs that can be helpful are a low dose fentanyl patch, cymbalta, to actually stop or reduce pain directly as opposed to working on inflammation, or in conjunction with that.

Wow so much great information thankyou. My doctor has not recomemded anything else for the pain as a matter of fact she said there was not anything else that she knew of. Is there such a thing as someone who specializes in pain management?? Does anyone know if cymbalta is available in Canada?? The fentanyl patch sounds like it might work and I may be able to come off so many drugs. Have a great weekend!!

yes I believe cymbalta is widely available in Canada by Rx

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders