What's good to eat for breakfast in an anti-cancer diet?

I'm the one who recently initiated the discussion on the value of avoiding sugars when fighting cancer. I mentioned eating whole- and multi-grain, no-sugar-added cereals for breakfast, and a few people cautioned me against even eating those, as processed carbohydrates can quickly turn to sugar in the body. If we also should avoid dairy as much as possible and not eat too much fruit, I'm wondering what those of you who try to follow a cancer-preventing diet enjoy eating for breakfast? Recently I've been eating organic, multi-grain cereals with almond milk mixed with a small amount of soy milk, and some berries or other fruit added. But maybe this isn't a healthy breakfast. Just am curious and would love any advice. I really love to enjoy my meals! So definitely want to love my future breakfasts.

33 replies. Join the discussion

I try to follow an anti-cancer diet and usually eat what you are eating for breakfast, often followed by a glass of fresh-made carrot/ celery juice (with ginger and lemon in it which both seem to fight ovca). Yes... by all means, enjoy that cereal and almond/ soy milk and feel good about it! Kudos!

Deborah

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I also regularly have fresh-made juices now with carrot, celery and ginger!

Don't want to drive you crazy, but from what I gather--and my reading on this subject goes back a few years--the jury is still out on soy for women with breast and ovarian cancer. Some people swear that it prevents breast cancer, but my impression from my reading is that there were no studies that gave a definitive answer, and there was some question about eating or drinking large amounts. Soy has phyotestrogens, which are plant estrogens, and although they are weak, I don't know if frequent intake of soy is a good idea.

I do know of a dietitian who herself had breast cancer (ER+) and she swears by soy. In case you are interested, here is her web site: http://www.cancerrd.com/

I ordered her book A Dietitian's Cancer Story after my diagnosis, and I thought it was worthwhile.

There is so much information "out there" on why x, y, or z food is the greatest thing since sliced bread or else likely to kill you tomorrow. It is hard sometimes to know how much is science-based and how much is pure hype.

I love to love my meals too.

I like steel cut oats cooked with a little bit of organic high fiber cereal mixed into the pot at the end of cooking. It has a "low glycemic index" in the low 40's. I add almonds and either a tiny bit of homemade jam or a little fruit. I have heard that people make the steel cut oats the night before by putting the oats and boiled water into a thermos so it is ready cooked when they wake up.

If you ever are making pancakes, use mostly or all whole grain flour, add some oat bran or wheat germ to the batter, and when serving it top it with almond butter with a little bit of jam mixed in, or add fruit to the pancakes. A banana added into the batter makes it sweet enough too.

There are probably delicious muffin recipes online that use wholegrains, fibers, brans etc. using applesauce instead of egg as a binder and using rice, hemp, or almond milk.

I am also trying to think of ways to get my veggies in the morning, other than juicing... maybe sweetpotato - cinammon pancakes with spinach or kale mixed in? Butternut squash with brown rice in broth?

I agree with you about soy: from what I've read, those with breast, ovarian and/or prostate cancer should probably avoid soy (though I know some recommend it). Because of my fears about soy, I only add about a tablespoon each day to my almond milk. Hopefully that small amount won't harm me! The almond milk just tastes so watery without the soy, and the soy milk is rich and delicious. I did read that for soy to help one prevent cancer (for those who believe it does), one must eat soy morning, noon and night -- about three meals per day (tofu, miso, etc.). This makes me think that if I just have a tablespoon daily of soy milk, while avoiding tofu, etc., I may be OK. But do let me know if you have read things that make you believe that even a very small amount of soy could be dangerous. Thanks! (p.s. Many vitamins also use soy, such as most forms of vitamin E. Don't know if this is something we should worry about?)

Yum to emeraldview -- what delicious-sounding ideas!

No, I have read nothing about small amounts of soy. Because I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago and did a lot of my reading on all kinds of cancer-related topics over the next few years, my knowledge on most of them is not necessarily up to date. I asked an oncologist once, and she didn't seem to think there was an issue. If I remember what she said, it was something like, there is no evidence that eating soy is going to make a difference. Of course, all that means is that no definitive studies have been done.

I worried about a lot of foods for awhile, and still do. Here are the kinds of conversations I have with myself: Milk? Too may hormones. Buy organic milk? There may be other problems with milk besides the hormones. Oophorectomy can lead to bone loss, so we need calcium. What to do? Bones from salmon. But only buy Alaska wild salmon because the other salmon has a lot of unhealthy crud in it. Drink regular coffee? But coffee is bad for your bones. Drink decaf? Some of the decaffeinating methods use carcinogenic chemicals. Soy or no soy? Soy is great//soy has phytoestrogens and that's bad for cancer. Need sunscreen? Brand X is really great//Brand X has ingredients with estrogenic effects, according to the Environmental Working Group. Etc., etc., etc.

Sometimes I get sick of thinking about this stuff.

From my understanding, I should avoid Soy becaue I have an estrogen positive ovca. I rarely use any soy products because of that. I've read that soy is very good for menopause because of it's estrogen properties. It deserves more consideration for you I think. All you ladies are making me hungry with the great recipe ideas.
Peace

From the other side. I eat raisin bran because it contains 25% magnesium that I was low in. I also love the Jamaican breakfast with old fashioned oatmeal, fresh ground nutmeg from Jamaica and a little sweetened condense milk in a can. Been going to Jamaica for 25 yrs and I wonder how many ladies get ovca?? Once a week I have a couple of poached eggs.

Marty

There isn't any real evidence that any of this makes any difference to cancer. There is a thread here that may interest you by the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance which examines the scientific papers cited by Dr. Oz in his recent diet recommendations for ovarian cancer. They examine the scientific basis for the claims and find that most of them don't stand up to scrutiny. The best evidence seemed to be for tomatoes and even that wasn't very strong.

There are people on this site who did not change their diet at all and have had very long remissions. There are some who adhered strictly to an anti-cancer diet and who recurred immediately.

I understand that we want to do anything possible to help ourselves, and diet is something we can modify. I try to eat a lot of organic fresh fruits and vegetables, but I don't think it's worth having daily agita over this. There's no evidence that it's necessary.

Some things that seem to have more of a well-founded effect on recurrence are exercise and daily aspirin (at least for recurrences of breast cancer).

I totally agreee with Jurate. We can drive ourselves crazy.

I agree that diet might not be what it's hyped up to be, but it sure doesn't hurt to start the day on a healthy note. I've tried to limit my sugar intake also, so for breakfast I eat Trader Joes Shredded Wheat - no sugar in it whatsoever, a tablespoon of ground flaxmeal, some blueberries and almond milk.

Gloria

I have to avoid soy as well, I have an estrogen positive cancer. Granulosa Cell Tumor. My 2 doctors both told me to avoid soy and any estrogen product. I can't avoid all soy, like in a lot of products, but I do avoid soy milk and soy yogurt. I also am pre-diabetic and was told to cut out a lot of carbs or I will end up diabetic like my sister and dad. So I am having a hard time eating a lot of foods. I stick to chicken, turkey as protein and eat fruits and green vegetables. A tablespoon of peanut butter with a few crackers that I can have. I eat rye bread as I am allergic to wheat. etc, etc. Since being diagnosed in 2007 my health has gone hill. I tried to work out and everytime either my back goes out or my arm starts to kill me. I have diagnosed with spinal stenosis in my lower back. I see the doctor tomorrow for that. Wish me luck and off course prayers. You lovely ladies have been an inspiration to me.

Trisha

Diet has been discussed extensively over previous months which may explain the mediocre response to your previous post (also this post is shared with public which may put some members off replying). I've been an advocate of good diet and the use of selective supplements and believe that these have prolonged my life. Also I believe the things to avoid are more important then the things we do eat so avoid, non-organic meat, dairy, water in plastic bottles, sugar, white flour..... As regards soya I believe the research that advised against soya was based on the use of soy supplements not soy foods. Please anyone reading this correct me if I'm wrong but that is my understanding. Plus my Onc does not believe my Ovca to be estrogen dependent so I have the occasional soy cappuccino.

The books I found helpful when choosing what to include in my diet were ‘Foods that Fight Cancer’ by Richard Beliveau and ‘Anti Cancer a New Way of Life’ by Dr David Servan-Schrieber, both are well researched. Based on these books my breakfast is usually a veg juice or a berry smoothie made with rice milk. I buy organic most of the time but research shows it is more beneficial to eat non-organic then to not eat fruit and veg because it's not organic.

It's interesting that a successful drop in my CA125 occurred when I was overseas having an amazing time, paying no attention to diet, alcohol consumption, meditation etc and receiving no conventional treatment. So maybe the state of mind is more important then the correct food.......... Based on this thought, I would continue to enjoy your breakfast and not be over concerned as it sounds like you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.

All the best

Chris

Thanks, Chris, for your excellent and delicious advice, and next time I will know not to check the "public" box -- I thought that just meant sharing with our site's members!

About soy - the only form of soy that is "healthy" is whole and FERMENTED soy like natto, tempeh, etc... NOT soy milk and all other processed soy foods, not even tofu. Soy milk is highly processed and has no resemblance at all with the way it was traditionally made and I don't consider it a healthy food at all - cancer or not. A good book to read is:
"The Whole Soy Story" by Kaayla Daniels

Also, 80% of soy produced in this country is GMO. Another reason to stay away from it.

If you must eat grains for breakfast, the best is probably to cook the whole grains like cut oats, maybe in almond milk instead of water, that would make it creamy without the need of soy milk. Another great breakfast is quinoa - prepared like oatmeal, add a banana (rich in potassium) and/or organic blueberries or any other berries and a little palm sugar or Stevia. You can also add a few almonds or other nuts to it. (grind them in a coffee grinder). Quinoa is the only "grain" (technically it is a seed), that has all the amino-acids and is therefore a better source of protein.

I personally eat two slices of crusty whole-grain bread (made in a brick-oven at a local bakery with minimal ingredients, not the grocery store type bread), with a slice of cheese made from raw milk (pasture-fed), a banana and a couple Brazil nuts every morning.

For a protein rich , carb-free diet, why not make an omelette from free-range, organic eggs, you can mix in all kinds of vegetables (onions, garlic, broccoli are delicious in an omeltte, so are mushrooms), spices like turmeric and black pepper, herbs like oregano, thyme.... use your imagination, you can make it a different meal each day! I love an omelette fried in virgin coconut oil, but olive oil is also great.

Try to get away from the concept of eating cereals for breakfast, there are so many other delicious alternatives.

My breakfast consists of nonfat organic yogurt lightly sweetened with agave plus flax seed oil and additional fresh berries. I stir in a packet of Immunocal to boost protein. Think Budwig-light.

Lalani~ I have the same thing but without flaxseed! I also have a banana or papaya.

My breakfast is a smoothie, 1/2 cup almond milk,unsweetened, 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt(lots more protein),about a cup of frozen fresh fruit and 1/4 cup frozen blueberries. Then i have a Vitatop muffin--9grams fiber, low fat, 4 grams protein,low sodium,calcium,whole grain, 15 vitamins and minerals. vitatops are found in freezer section of store or order on line, vitalicious.com. I got started on this breakfast while going to WeightWatchers and think it follows an anticancer diet pretty well.

I'm curious about avoiding dairy since the dietician at the cancer center recommended smoothies with Greek Yogurt, whey protein, and fruit as a good way to take in a lot of protein. I finished chemo in February but am still trying to get muscle back. What are the reasons for avoiding dairy?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders