What is the best way to drink prep for ct scan?

I have to go monday and get my ct scan done. And i was wondering how to drink the prep for that, I attempted to last time and made me sick. Just thought i would see what others do or if i am stuck trying to drink it down. This will determine if i am all done with chemo or not. Wish me luck!!

47 replies. Join the discussion

l have to drink some white liguid the night before....then on the day l have to drink two bottles of white liguid.....one tastes like aniseed the other like orange over one hour. lt's not tooooooo bad!!! but my goodness it acts like a laxative and about one hour after l can't get off the loo. l have to hang around in the hospital for ages as l can't chance trying to go home in case of having an incontinent accident. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'd never had any trouble with the liquid, but mine has always been clear.

Last time I had scans I had a CT with and without contrast and 2 MRIS for shoulder and arm pain. Later than night I vomited, which I'd never done before. I wondered whether anyone has ever done that and figured it was either from the stress of trying to be Wonder Woman doing back-to-back MRIs without any kind of calming med or from the contrast. Any opinions?

Hi,

I had another scan last week and on the way home I crapped my pants over and over again. Usually I make it home okay, but have to be near a toilet. It was so uncomfortable because it's over an hour home from the hospital. I told my doctor and she said next time she will tell the scan people what happened to me and I can drink less of it.

Terri

I was fortunate to not vomit from drinking it although it did make me somewhat nauseaus. I did the guzzle method....just hurry and drink and get it down.

I have had quite a few ct scans some of the "drinks " have sorbitol in them. Many people get the "runs" from sorbitol I barely made it the 2miles home.

When I went for one to see why I was vomiting a week after my surgery I think I was only able to get about a third of it down and that was ok so don't worry if u can't get it all down.

I know its a very hard thing to do but try to imajine the lovley white stuff is helping to get rid of your cancer, a straw sounds good, so go for it embrace it.
I promise i have not lost my mind i have tryed this with my own CT scan.

I can cope with the white stuff but i hate the dye injected in to me. I have a question for any one, when the dye goes in you taste it and feel warm as far down as y our groin, why don't you feel it down your legs?

love to you all
Crolly x

You dont Crolly, thats a good question. I always feel like I got to pee really bad. I think it tastes like a stale pina colada lol it really does,
The only thing i cant take is for 2 days I get severe gas, its really bad for me. Ive taken to wearing a depend ive never had an accident , and its about 2 miles for me to get home from the place, but I play it safe then sorry.
Do any of you do that just to be safe wear a depend?
Sometimes I feel embarrassed to do it.

I am on a trial that requires a CT with triple contrast ( oral, IV and rectal) every 6 weeks. I have my next one scheduled for Tuesday.

For me, cold definitely is better than warm; straw is better than without a straw. I do worry as each scan I seem to get nausea faster and faster on drinking the smoothie. I never know how much diarrhea is from the stuff I drink of the rectal...probably both. Berry seems the best of the choices.

I would love to try the clear stuff and depending on how Tuesday's goes, may ask for the next time.

I know I am not really adding anything new to the discussion but just glad to finally feel good enough to post ( has been a bad month).

Teri

Hi Khema

What I do is bring two lollipops and everytime I take A drink of the prep I immediately suck on the lollipop for a few minutes, really helps a lot.

good luck

what I found interesting in this discussion is the variety of drinks that we all take for the CT! I assumed there was just the chalky white stuff (2 bottles an hour apart, right before the scan) but now I find out there is a berry flavor, a clear option, putting flavor in it, etc. Wow. Who knew???
Jeanie

Yuck............ I know I'm late responding to this however, IF their is a decent way to swallow then I feel I'm the luckiest of all. My hospital gives me a cup with just a "shot" of the nasty (about 2 oz) and I DOWN it. Follow with 2 bottles of water and the CT is done in 1 hour. Seems much easier than trying to drink this stuff mixed in with anything.
I go for results of mine today, looking forward to a clear scan! Hope yours goes well too :-)

COLD, COLD COLD there is no other way adn a straw is best. It seems to help bypass the tongue and taste buds. Once in awhile I mix the flavors- I had banana and berry one time. Still tasted yuky but I was a little more adventuresome! I can never seem to finish that last bottle (Im always given 2- I think its standard) anyway, one and a half bottles has always been enough to give good pictures for me. I have told the techs that I cant finish and they say its not a worry.
Blech! Thats all i can say. Good luck!

Melissa

they just give me on bottle of some milky stuff. I just drink it down as fast as I can while reading a book. It's gone before I know it.

Yuck. I have never had to drink the milky stuff.

I had my CT today. I know I will never choose to drink orange flavored Crystal Light ever, ever, ever.

Hi kmeha,
I assume you're in the United States? Here in the UK we do a really great thing which really helps -what we do is drink it over a whole hour! I take a wee paper cup of it every ten minutes, which isn't very hard to handle at all. That means you get it all drunk, but it doesn't overwhelm your stomach and your tongue recovers during the ten minute break!!! : )
You can also munch a sweet or chew some gum during the ten minutes.

I would ask your CT nurse (I'm sure she'll be accommodating-I find them usually really kind and gentle!) if you can have the orange flavour - the blackberry one in the hospital across town makes me sick... In the orange flavour you can't hardly taste the Barium!

Otherwise I would suggest that when you arrive at the CT Suite, you ask to speak to the radiographer - ask them if you can avoid the barium drink and just have the injection for the scan - sometimes they will be happy to just do the one instead of both. I know the injection is very tough on the system too - but it avoids the real belly-aches...

Apart from that, I really think you should pester your oncologist to refer you for an MRI scan instead of a CT. The results are actually MUCH clearer and more effective and you don't need any barium drinks/injections AT ALL. It's magnetic imaging and it's pretty un-scary - you just need a pair of headphones to block out the whacking-thumping sound of the magnets and just keep your eyes tight-closed to avoid feeling clostrophobic (they usually last 40 minutes or so).

I wish you luck, just tell people how awful you feel and I am sure they will do all they can to accommodate you - I find doctors/radiographers/nurses become incredibly tender and helpful for cancer patients because they know how gruelling the entire treatment/disease is on the body and mind.

Yes, I find that I pee GREEN for 48 hours afterward and feel VERY light-headed and sickly for a long period after the CT and it really gives you a big knock during chemo too...

Let us know how well they accommodate you - if you need to, just phone your onc to discuss your fears, or even the chemo nurse on your ward...

xoxoxox
Erin

My ct scan place also let's me bring in two bottles of Snapple to put the stuff in. I use the diet type so I don't get sugar shakey. It is so easy to drink - a massive improvement. Definately ask about doing it. And take two different flavors with you to keep it interesting.

Ok, I agree with all. Whatever I drank was horrid. They suggested Hershey's syrup. Tried that but also kind of lame. The more you put in the more you had to drink. Then I tried just lemon koolaid, the powder. Not as bad. But then I was in hospital and being half drugged up. brought me a tall glass of cold water and told me to drink it, I did and it then 30 minutes later another glass of cold water. Then I asked.....what is this for and why the water. She said we are going to do a CT Scan and it is iodine in the water instead of the other stuff. SO, now I specifically ask for the iodine. I have to go to a different place to get it and I can even mix it with OJ. It comes in three small, about 1-2 inches tall little jars. The liquid is clear. It does have a little twang to it but much easier. That I can handle. Ask the place where you have the scan done. It's worth it.
I have the primary peritoneal carcinoma.
Good Luck to all........

There is another solution called Volumin that you can request for a scan. It has a very mild taste (similar to herbal tea) and is easy to get down. I have had so many scans that I just can't drink the normal solution now without getting sick. My understanding is that the Volumin is more expensive and that is why it is not offered. But my experience has been that if you ask for it, they will provide it. Good luck.

I must be really strange. I really never had a problem with drinking the stuff. I drink it really cold and with a straw and suck it right down. I just don't even think about it.

I drink it cold and with a straw and I make sure to shake it often, to keep it well mixed.

Good luck!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders