What Dr. Oz Said About An Alkaline Diet & Cancer

An audience member today asked the question about the effect of an alkaline diet and if it fights cancer.

Dr. Oz said if he had cancer, he would go on a high alkaline diet. He said there is no clear proof that it's true...no real studies have been done to prove it...but he said that cancer cells have been shown to grow in an acidic environment.

This is what I've learned:

PH numbers below 7 are acidic...7-14 are alkaline. Our blood must always remain around 7.3 to 7.4 so that it can continue to transport oxygen. Our bodies have a buffer system which when our system is overloaded with acidity, the alkaline reserves are utilized to buffer the acids. But when this buffering system is overloaded and our reserves are depleted, the excess acids are dumped into our tissues. As more and more acids accumulate, our tissues begin to deteriorate. Then the acid wastes begin to "rust" our veins and arteries and destroy our cell walls....that's when "it will interrupt all cellular activities and functions, from the beating of your heart to the neural firing of your brain. Over-acidification interferes with life itself, leading to all sickness and disease"...Dr. Robert Young in "Sick & Tired".

In Keiichi Morishita's book "Hidden Truth of Cancer" many of the cells increase in acidity and die while others adapt and become abnormal cells or malignant cells and do not correspond with brain functions or our DNA memory code. Therefore, malignant cells grow indefinitely and without order. This is cancer.

Here are some excellent alkaline-forming foods:
most raw vegs & fruits, lima beans, olive oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, stevia, green tea, most herbs, sprouted grains.

Acid forming foods are: sodas, coffee, chocolate, aspartame, meats, oysters, fish, eggs, chicken, pasteurized milk, processed grains, sugar, peanut butter, beans & pastas.

I thought you would like to know what I've learned and put into practice in my own life. I am truly hoping this is something that is helping me to live longer...what can it hurt?

Blessings and hugs!!!

9 replies. Join the discussion

How does one find out what one's PH level is?

You can test it using pH (litmus paper) which comes in a roll, and you can get it at health food stores or drug stores. It costs about $12 for a roll...it's in a little box.

A saliva test gives you a rough guide. The best time is 1st thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. And it should read between 7.0 and 7.4.

The best test is with urine testing. Just dip the strip in a urine sample first thing in the morning (but you should empty your bladder a little first), and it should read around 6.8.

That's it!! Happy testing :)

Blessings and hugs!!

thank you for the info! I am off to do more research on this - I find it is a very interesting concept, and if nothing else it shows how bad those "bad" foods are for you, even without having experienced cancer. Wish I had caught the episode!

I was soooo good with the foods to avoid until I saw coffee!!!!! That could be a deal breaker! I will try to up the good foods and try to cut back on the coffee----but I will NEVER give up the coffee. I will drink it on my death bed! Thank you for the great information. I hope my daughter didn't see the show orl she will be holding a coffee intervention soon!

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating or drinking stuff from the acid forming list, the trick is to overall keep things on the alkaline side or at least balance.

My mom (in Germany) gave me a book years ago about the alkaline diet, it's not very strict but it puts you on the right track and basically it comes down to just eating right, avoiding the bad stuff (and we all know what it is!).

I will get those testing strips, curious now...

KSD - I laughed when I saw your comment on coffee because that was almost the deal breaker for me too!!! lol I found a bunch of sites on this protocol though and it says about 80% of your diet should be alkaline each day. I think I would fill the other 20% with coffee!!

You girls are so funny! I am quite conscious of trying to keep my system alkaline and yet I still drink a cup of decaf coffee...not every day...but when I want one, I do! I try to drink white tea or green tea if I don't have the white tea every day in its place. The one thing that concerned me was my cottage cheese/flaxseed that I eat every morning on the Budwig diet to fight cancer cells because the cottage cheese is so acidic...BUT the flaxseed is alkaline. Here's how it breaks down:
Alkaline is in the plus....acidic is minus:

Cottage cheese is -17.3
Flax seed is +1.3
Flaxseed oil is +3.5

BUT my salad I eat every day is this:
Fresh Spinach is +13.5
Celery +13.5
Tomatoes +13.6
Olive oil +1.0

That kinda takes it over the top for alkaline!!

Remember, ladies, that beef is -34.5!!!!

Here's an easy basic chart for alkaline/acidic foods:

www.balance-ph-diet.com/acid_alkaline_food_chart.html

Thanks for all the information. Here is another sight not about alkaline diet, but the importance of nutrition in fighting cancer: http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Beating_Cancer_With_Nutrition.shtml

I was reading this while having my morning cup and read coffee just as I swallowed! I'm trying to improve my diet but I think I'll keep a cup of coffee as my treat for each day. :)

Thank you for sharing this.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders