Veliparib Clinical Trial Results

Hi All:

I'm on my 2nd recurrence and doing the Phase II Velaparib Trial for Persistent Ovarian Cancer for patients that are BRAC1/2 positive. The results have been amazing! I am wondering if anyone has participated in any of the trials on Velaparib (Phase 1 or 2) and how are you doing.

Thanks for your comments!!

Julie

22 replies. Join the discussion

Julie I am so excited for you! I love the fact you came back to share with us. God bless and may it continue to be amazing!

Marty

I'm just hoping that the results continue to be good so that it gets approved and more of us can have access.

Thank you!

Julie

Julie, it's really nice to hear from you. Thanks for letting us know that you are 2 doing well. I am BRCA 2+ and am interested in PARP trials.

Julie, I see that you live in Buellton. Which trial are you on?

Hi Rozetta:

I'm with the Stanford Cancer Clinic. I drive every 4 weeks to get my follow-up check-up and get my pills. If it were IV it would be challenging.

How are you doing?

Julie

I just started the Extended Release Veliparib Phase 1 trial in Salt Lake City. Since it's only been a couple of weeks, I don't know the results yet but have great hope! I've been on chemo continuously for recurrence for more than a year without good results, and am BRCA 2+ so I hope to be in the percentage that does well with this drug. I also hope that it is approved soon so that more people can benefit from it.

Hi Julie,
Which Veliparib trial are you on - there are several.
Are you taking Veliparib only or with other drugs.
I was on the phase 1 trial with Gemzar/Carbo/Veliparib for 13 months for my first recurrence. I am BRCA2+.
I had 6 cycles of all three drugs and then Veliparib only from July 2012 to April 2013, when CA 125 and CT scan showed disease progression. CA 125 and enlarged lymph gland is still in the normal range but higher/larger than previous tests so they took me off the trial.
I had hoped to stay on the Veliparib forever but obviously not to be. But it gave me almost a year without chemo which is a very good thing. Since disease progression is very slow now, I have time to research other options as I'm looking for a viable non-chemo option right now.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.
Hopefully, your experience will be longer lasting.

I'm using veliparib as a single agent. I'm using it through the compassionate use program from Abbot. For me it has been an amazing year. I went from hardly being able to get out of bed to leading a pretty much normal life again. My ca-125 is down to 53 when it had been in the 1500s. I had a CT scan on Monday and I have a blood draw tomorrow. I'm not anxious because I'm feeling great, aside from a lovely summer cold. Hope things go well for you.

I'm also on veliparib as a single agent. The CA125 went down like a rock and I'm feeling normal once more. Hope it does last and that good results continue. Are you BRAC+?

Keep us all posted of your progress!

Hi dhammond100:

Do you know the dosage on the extended release? I'm doing 400mg (4 capsules) twice a day. I heard that most of the others in my group had issues with nausea and the dosage had to be lowered to 200mg twice per day. I'm able to tolerate the 400mg by taking omeprazole (Pepsid AC) 40 mg every morning with the AM dosage as well as making sure I have them with a full stomach (breakfast & dinner).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi susie555:

The trial I'm is a Phase II that uses Veliparib as the only agent for treating patients with persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer who are BRAC1/2+.

This might not be a cure but it is giving me more time without the ugly side effects of all the other chemo agents that are out there. Hopefully this will be an added alternative for us and it will receive a speedy approval.

Julie, if you read my profile it will update you. Just finished 6th cycle of carbo/gemzar for second recurrence. I'll have a scan in two weeks and go from there. Astrazeneca is going to have a phase 3 trial of olaparib, as maintenance, and I am praying that there will be a trial in SoCal.

Rozetta:

I truly hope that they have something available in SoCal........ PARPis seem to work really well for some of us. Hope it works for you!!

Rozetta - they must have one in SoCal. That's where I live and my gyn onc mentioned it to me.

Selene, can you PM me any info? The one that I saw was chemo with the PARP. It may have been at USC. Since, I finished chemo, I am hoping for a maintenance trial. AstraZeneca, reported that they are going to begin phase 3 trials of Olaparib for maintenance. I will get some info from my onc when I see him in two weeks. He attended the ASCO conference and AstraZeneca presented the results of their phase II trials.

Julie-- The extended release capsules are only in the first week of the study. I was given one on Monday and then one on Wednesday and was hospitalized for 18 hours so they could take blood frequently. I am now on the regular capsules, 200 mg twice daily. I hope they will work even though it is the lower dosage. I think the extended release capsules were also the lower dosage.

Wow, I'm so excited to hear this good news. I looked for a PARP inhibitor trial after second recurrence but am on conventional tx with carbo/Doxil. This gives me a lot of hope for the future though.

Thank you for posting this. We need to hear this kind of news. You have made my day.

susie555, i do the Budwig protocol of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese everyday and it really makes me feel better. You may also want to check on Dendritic cells, i have had 4 rounds in Austria. My MD is Ralf Kleef in Vienna. He has many treatments not availale in the US but he does not have PARP as I have asked. I am leaving for Vienna in 2 weeks for 3 weeks of treatment.

dhammond100:

They are still looking at the dosing and 200mg twice a day should not give you any nausea and should be much better for your liver which should keep you on it longer. Let us know how it goes!! I'm praying for you!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders