Veliparib clinical trial first results

I just received the results from my first ct scan and labwork after starting this trial taking 400 mg veliparib twice daily. While the scan was considered "stable" my CA125 decreased from 538 to 166 in only 3 weeks and 3 days! I couldn't be happier. My last chemo (gemzar) stopped working and I started this trial as a last ditch effort to buy some time from jumping into another aggressive chemo regiment. I never ever dreamed that it would be so effective all by itself. In addition, my quality of life has been better than ever - I just pray that it continues to work!!!!

25 replies. Join the discussion

What wonderful news......so happy for you. Keep up the great results.
Anne

Hi SRE1402,

I am only taking veliparib. There is no other chemo involved. Veliparib is taken orally (4 pills in morning, 4 pills in evening). I started this trial just 2 months ago so this is my first ct scan during the trial. At first there were some minimal side effects but they have really disappeared. I have so appreciated the break from infusions and regular neulasta shots. I am doing this trial out of Stanford but there are many locations throughout the country. NCT01540565 Phase 2. Hope this helps,

Cindy

That's great news! Hope the downward trend in your CA-125 continues.

My oncologist talked to me about this trial. I am bRCA pos, but I don't qualify since my scans don't show signs of measurable disease (greater than 1cm). Rather than wait for that to happen, I am starting lipodox on Monday. I've heard great things about the trial though.

Just gave myself a big high five out of excitement from reading the good news!!!!!

May that ca125 fade away for you.I can imagine your joy!

I mean't to ask............

Is this trial for women with the Brac gene only?

Ibazz1,

Yes, I am BRAC1+ and have been desperately trying to get into a parp trial for over 2 years - this is the first time I have succeeded.

Cindy

I am so excited to hear that. I just started veliparib on Friday and this gives me some hope. Can't wait to hear more from you!!

Great news Cindy. I'm very excited for you.

As I've mentioned, I'm also taking Veliparib in combination with Carbo/Gemzar. I had my 6th and last chemo cycle last Friday and will now be on Veliparib only. My CA 125 is now down to 9 (from 517) but we don't really know if it's the Veliparib or chemo or both that's doing it. Will be getting a CT scan in a couple of weeks.

I'm also BRCA+ and like you will hope that Veliparib keeps me in remission (or at least stable disease) for a long time. I'm taking a slightly higher dose (420 mg daily) than you but I also know women who took only 30mg.

Please continue to share your experience.

Infroglady,
Please let us know about your progress too on Veliparib.

Here's hoping that it works for all of us. Certainly a better option than chemo.

Hi Susie555,

Just to clarify dosage - I am taking 400 mg twice a day - for a total of 800 mg daily. But remember - this is without any additional chemo. I pray that it will keep you in remission. I am just so excited about this drug - definitely has greatly exceeded my expectations!

Cindy

Is there any evidence that the PARP inhibitors are effective in patients who are not BRCA positive?

What fantastic news. I asked my oncologist about this trial and there are not any in ontario. I was also told that even though I have an elevated CA 125 ( 266, was 349 1 month ago) with no visible cancer on my CT that I would not be eligible. I am a BRCA 1 also. I wish we could get it now before we get to the point of tumours growing. Why not what can it hurt and can only help.

The way my oncologist explained it to me is that it works for BRCA positive people because we already have one gene mutation that the cancer cells can't use to replicate themselves. When you take the parp inhibitor it stops the backup way that cancer is using to replicate itself. Then the cancer, in theory, has no way of replicating itself and the cancer dies. That's why it won't work for people who aren't BRCA postivie.

PARP inhibitors have also been shown to have some effect in women with 'BRCA-like' tumors, but their strongest effect has been in women with BRCA mutations. So clinical trials are focusing on this group. In the future this class of drugs may be more widely used (there are differences in effectiveness among different PARP inhibitors, too.) Ifrogladly has explained the how they work very well.

Cindy,
Thanks for clarifying that your dose is really 800 mg daily. That's huge compared to the 30 mg that they started with on my trial. Is your trial phase 1 or 2?

And Cindy, I'm thrilled that Veliparib is working on its own. Certainly much better than chemo. I am hoping that it continues to be so effective for you.

Andrea,
I did some waiting before I started treatment, not because I was waiting for my tumors to be big enough for measurable disease, but rather because I wanted to spend some time figuring out what was the best tx for me at the time. As it turned out, a slot opened in a PARP inhibitor trial so the timing was fortuitous.

FYI, my trial does not exclude BRCA negative women and doesn't require measurable disease. I have found that phase 1 trials are less strict in their eligibility.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am happy to hear about the velaparib trial by itself. I am brca 1 and am just trying to figure out my treatment for my 3rd recurrence. My ca 125 is climbing, although it just doubled up to 94 so there is not much doubt with my oncologist. Next week is my scan and then I will meet with an oncologist at nyu (who my reg. oncologist recommended) because he is more knowledgeable about what trials are out there. I live in NJ and I was looking into one in Boston with olaparib. After reading
your post Cindy I did some checking and the phase two trial with just the velaparib is being done in ny as well. Hence, That has just moved up to the top of my personal list. I am also aware that once you do one of the parp inhibitors it excludes doing the other so I am looking at all the viabilities. My onc. wants me to stay away from carbo for now so what is out there is more limiting.

Hopefully we will reach a decision by the end of the month and then I will just have to get accepted in to the trial.

By the way, you mentioned some side effects in the beginning, what were they.

Thanks,

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I'm so glad this info has helped your decision making. I can totally relate. I was receiving treatment for my 2nd recurrence (gemzar only) and it stopped working. I had to quit the chemo entirely to qualify for this trial and my CA125 was really escalating fast. My local oncologist did not feel that I had the time to wait for the trial, but I desperately wanted to give this a try. When I first started taking the pills, I would have an immediate case of diarrhea within the hour. Also a lot of gas, stomach churning, mild pain and mild nausea that would persist throughout the day. I never ever felt like vomiting (never took any meds at all for it) and it also did not affect my appetite. In no time at all (a couple weeks) I really noticed the side effects diminishing. I also was more tired and had less energy (but nowhere near the degree you experience with chemo). At this point, I hardly notice any side effects at all. Sometimes there is an ever so slight feeling in my head that is hard to describe but it is extremely mild and easy to ignore. I just can't believe that something that is so easy to tolerate is so effective!

I'm in the same trial and getting similar results. I'm pretty happy. My last ct scan showed either decreasing sized tumors or at least stable (no change) and no new tumors. My CA125 has also dropped back into normal range (it's not really the best marker for me but it started at 127).

I will agree that it does have some mild side effects at least after your body gets used to it, but hey if it keeps working like it is, I'm completely happy living with that. Here's hoping it keeps on working for both of us!

Verbana,

How long have you been on this trial.

Cathu

Been in the trial since May, I'm on my 3rd month long cycle with the drug. So the results are pretty quick.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders