Urine smells bad

My urine smells terrible since my first treatment. Will this go away?

14 replies. Join the discussion

I've found foods can make my urine smell different ie: garlic, onions, and broccoli. Is it clear slightly yellow? Make sure it isn't cloudy or dark colored, it could be an infection.

Marty

Did you just have a cisplatin chemo? Certain chemos make urine smell like a chemical factory. Gets better as days pass.

I had Carbo and tried Taxol. I don't know what cisplatin is. But it does smell like chemicals.

I had another thought on smelly urine. When I'm on chemo it raises my blood sugars and I am not diabetic. Urine can have an odor when blood sugars rise too.

Marty

I'd also suggest to make sure you're drinking lots and lots of fluids -- at least two quarts a day is what my chemo nurses advised, every day.

That's the part I'm having a hard time with. I hate water. Lived on Pepsi.

I find cranberry juice tastes great post chemo, also ginger tea ( using dried leaves from health store, not flavoured tea bags). The ginger tea really helps nausea too.

I'll try it!

Mine did too. Chemicals and not enough fluid. Try drinking the above mentioned ideas or if you like the "bubbles" of Pepsi, drink club soda. You get the carbonation without all the rest of the junk.

I am a diet pepsi addict also. I try to drink an equal amount of something else between each one. For my sweettooth strong crystallight, applejuice, v8 vfusion. I have actually weaned down to only 1-2/day with more of the others including water.

My oncologist is anti-artificial sweetener, especially aspartame. He's managed to get Nutra Sweet removed from the snacks and drinks provided at the chemo center. When he came into see me to tell me I had cancer, there were three things I had to avoid, in this order: 1. Artificial sweeteners and as much high fructose corn syrup as possible (he's also anti GMO); 2. no meat with hormones (good bye Tyson, hello Amish chicken and Laura's Lean); and 3. no soy (my tumor was estrogen receptive). He is a bit more lenient with soy since it's hidden in so many foods, but he holds me to 1 & 2.

I trust his judgment since he is currently doing a national clinical trial of diet and exercise as a preventive measure for recurrence of stage 3 and 4 OVCA. He will be adding stages 2 and 1 in the coming months. He has a degree in nutrition as well as gyn/oncology.

Drink plenty of water. Try propel if that would help...get off the diet drinks asap!
I put something different in my water all the time. cucumber, lemons, limes, oranges, strawberries. Cut them up in a pitcher and leave in fridge. YUMMY and HEALTHY!

kandbzmom, your oncologist is my kind of doctor! Wow. Love that he is so aware of nutrition. Thanks for sharing that. Hope his clinical trial gets good results!

I'm not doing chemo now but I do notice that my urine smells before I'm treated (when cancer comes back), I agree with everyone whose saying to add more water and ginger. I'm a Dr. Pepper addict myself so water is harder to swallow, but I do find that drinking purified water with fresh fruits is not so bad and helps the urine issue too.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders