Tumor fever

I'm late stage declining in health status, tumors increasing, chemos failing. Recently diagnosed with tumor fevers along with night sweats. Just wondered if anyone else has been given this diagnosis?
Dealing with fever after fever is very tiring and results in many hospitalizations.

14 replies. Join the discussion

Linn, that sounds like quite a challenge. I understand that tumor fevers can have several causes, such as substances that are released by the tumor or bacterial infections. I hope someone else here can shed more light on this.

Sending you best wishes for comfort, peace and hope.

Sorry this is happening. Thinking of you.

Hi there. Yes, I had tumor fever, as well. I would get fevers usually at night and when the fever would break, I would sweat. One time my fever went to 104 with vomiting... Not pleasant. Does your doctor have you on antibiotics? Before my surgery I had to have IV antibiotics at the hospital because the fevers wouldn't quit and that tumor was growing like a weed and had to come out, fever or not! I used to take Tylenol for the fevers to lessen the effects. Hang in there. I'm sorry your chemos aren't working. Have you tried a second opinion? It ain't over til it's over. Where there's life, there's hope. God bless you?
Theresa

I have never heard of this so I went to google, really nothing there. can someone explain more in depth what this is? Or is it just simple cut and dried, tumor growing causes fever. thanks

I first learned of tumor fever when I was hospitalized in October. They couldn't the source of any infection and did blood cultures. The nurses on the oncology floor said they saw it quite a bit; also happened with women were getting chemo. Am sorry to hear of the frequent recurrance of the temp for you - is very tiring. Blessings.

i DID HAVE FEVER AND CHILLS BEFORE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH OVARIAN CANCER. THE DATE THAT MY PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR SEND ME TO THE ER WAS BECAUSE I WAS IN PAIN AND HIGH FEVER, AND THAT IS HOW THEY DISCOVER THAT I HAD OVARIAN CANCER. BEFORE THAT EVERYTHING WAS HYPOCONDRIA ACCORDING TO DOCTORS. MY ONCOLOGIST SURGEON PUT ME IN IV ANTIBIOTICS BEFORE HAVING THE DEBULKING AND AFTER.
GOD BLESS YOU AND GET A SECOND OPINION.

Sending prayers your way Linn

Whispers,

Check out info on paraneoplastic syndrome. That's the real name. The tumor secretes cytokines and the body reacts. Happens with lung, ovarian and breast cancers. I have primary peritoneal carcinoma which is considered ovarian. Hence, my tumor fever...

T

Yes, that's what my doctor explained. In addition, night sweats come with the package too. Doc reported it happens but is not common. I got to be one of the lucky ones! Right now alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen to manage fevers. I am on a blood thinner and need to be careful with treatment, but the risk of high fevers has to outweigh treating the fevers.
Never any easy paths with this illness.
Thanks for postings.

Thinking of you, hang in there....

I've been mulling this over. Fever is currently thought to be an adaptive response to infection, the body's way of killing off invading bacteria and viruses. Could the same thing be happening with cancer?

There are many reports of cancers that regressed after extreme fever. The phenomenon has been the basis of several kinds of therapies, from the old Coley's Toxin to modern day hyperthermia treatments such as those in Germany. The problem with using high temperature to combat cancer is that the extremely high temperatures required are dangerous.

If this was happening to me I might take some solace from the thought that the fever is probably killing off some cancer cells.

That is crazy! I had never heard of this, but thank God it happened to me as this is what lead me to the ER on that fateful night when I was diagnosed 12-21-11!! I had a fever of 102.9 for 2 days and on the 2nd day I could not get it to break and finally gave in and went to the ER and they found it on a CT scan!! How crazy is that!! Hope they figure something out for you and get you some relief and keep up the good fight!!

I've been on ibuprofen and Tylenol to help manage fevers, going off Monday to see how my body reacts. Definitely the cause of my night sweats too. Thanks for support, I'll update as I'm able.
Hugs to all. Stay strong.

Linn, i wish I could offer you more than hope thoughts and hugs.
Do you have a nurse hotline available?
Stay hydrated and if it doesn't cause you chills cool compress
I am thinking of you and hoping for your recovery and at least a break from these fevers

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders