The Omentum- does it grow back?

I have had many concerns about my omentum...
will I get injured badly if hit in the stomach? without it what happens to the excess stress? what if I get an infection in the stomach ? what happens to the excess fat it is not there to catch?
Contrary to what my gyn told me it is a vital organ...with many purposes. I recently read that it grows back, that is great news...
I was wondering if anyone has heard how long it takes to grow back...I would like to stop worying about the what ifs and maybe even start back practicing ju jitsu, when my stomach heals.

blessings to all

13 replies. Join the discussion

I have also wondered that. I heard that it does but haven't followed up on it. I'd love to hear any input on this also. Thanks to everyone!

Oddly enough, my gyn-onc told me it does not grow back. Guess I should research this myself! Looking forward to other responses.

There was a post about this just a while back. I took from it that it does grow back. My thought was I got rid of it and I dont want it back, just another place for the cancer to hide. Always something to learn about this disease. Even after a few years, I realize that there is still a lot I dont know about OVCA.

Just to let you know... mine did grow back and after the second surgery they removed it again... and then in the third surgery, removed it again... so I'm guessing it MUST grow back. Sad however, the cancer was there all times. Does that help?

No................sigh. I don't want it to grow back!

Thank you everyone for replies. th4love, how long did it take to return...no I dont want it back because of the cancer, but I do want it to protect my organs....this OVCA and all that goes with it is so confusing...huggs all

I never even thought of this - it is an organ - it is gone - very interesting - i'm going to ask the next time I go to the doctor

I was told it wont grow back but it was not a necessary organ anyway......

My surgeon that removed it told me omentum does not grow back - fat tissue can grow but omentum apparently does not grow back.

hmmmm....well thats good and bad- will the fat provide what the omentum did I wonder?
any survivors out there who know what a blow to the stomach could do without an omentum? I miss my martial arts.....

Well... I went back and checked my medical notes and it said "Omentum" removed on all surgeries. What would you think? As for how long did it take to grow back? I had surgery one year apart on two of them. I guess not long? How much was there? I have no idea, but just know what the operative notes say. I'm not a doctor, I just go by what I read. And it did say cancer in the omentum on all the reports. I wonder why all doctors don't say the same thing? Hummmm?

I have never heard that an omentum grows back but the answer could be that there is more than one omentum:

It is a fold of peritoneum extending from the stomach to adjacent abdominal organs.
colic omentum, gastrocolic omentum, greater omentum.
gastrohepatic omentum , and the lesser omentum

Greater omentum is a peritoneal fold suspended from the greater curvature of the stomach and attached to the anterior surface of the transverse colon.

Lesser omentum is a peritoneal fold joining the lesser curvature of the stomach and the first part of the duodenum to the porta hepatis.

wow thanks for that information!
huggs

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders