The kindness of strangers

I have been overwhelmed by the "kindness of strangers" and wonder if this has happened to others.

23 replies. Join the discussion

What a lovely discussion topic. Yes, I have been touched by the kindness of strangers. At work, people I don't even know, donated vacation time to me.
In addition, I fell not too long ago, and several strangers on the street helped me get up.

My daughters tease me about the "cancer card",,I swear I get airline upgrades because of it. And I did feel guilty but now I don't. I figure you have to embrace the love wherever it comes from. ANd it makes others feel good to do good deeds.

So really, help humanity and let them be nice. Life is mean enough as it is and people seem determined to be good in spite of it.

I know for a fact that we got better service in resturants when I was wearing one of my scarves as opposed to my wig. And, people in general WERE kinder. I thought it was wonderful that in general people ARE nice and will be eXTRA nice when they see a special reason. I think that it's a shame that most people who are going though things (or just very sad or upset) have no 'outward' sign of this. If only there were little bubble captions above heads that would tell others "very sad today", or "just suffered a loss", people WOULD go out of their way to show kindness and more patience. Ideally we should all treat others as if they have such a situation....can you imagine how sweet that would be??!

I think the best show of kindness I had was one day I was sitting across from a woman while letting a pedicure dry - you know you are pretty close at those little stations. I was about two months after my last treatment, and starting to go hatless. Anyway, she looked up at me and said "I had that same haircut 9 years ago". It was like a great big hug.

But the kindness is all around - I can feel it sometimes!

I, too have been deeply touched by the kindness of strangers. I know that if I would not have found this site and received so many loving messages, it would have been alot worse for me. It's wonderful having sweet friends who so willingly give their love and support, and I didn't even know them a month ago! I also have several prayer chains going around and I am gaining strength from that just knowing that so many are thinking and praying for me!

God bless you all!

My blog is all amount recounting the kindnesses of my friends, folks from my church, etc. That is what is getting me through, as it renews and refreshes my faith.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/debrahererachemocountdown

I was shopping today and saw this young guy, bald obviously from cancer, and he looked at me, and I looked at him, and he smiled and I smiled. It was like we both knew what the other was dealing with, and it was really nice.

It made me wonder if I should join a support group...

I Remember when I was getting chemo
Everyone would look at you when you went by
to use the ladies room . And we all just smiled
at each other. We know what each one of us
was going through. I remember I saw a lady that
was having a hard time. I looked at her and said
I will pray for you and she said thank you

Thats what it is all about being there for each
other.

Blessings to all of you

Anita

What a great topic - Its wonderful that strangers can show alot of kindness or friends of friends that you don't know but that your family knows and they say they are praying for you - good to feel loved! -_-

I had a good one that I thought you all might like - today for the first time I went out walking - in the neighborhood - big step for me after my first chemo - and completely forgot that I did not have a hat or anything on and was ok with that -_- Love me as I am!

Anyway =- we ran into my brotherinlaw and he told me that I had a "good scull to go hairless with" - I will take that as a compliment - which is how he meant it -_-

Now the one my Mom told me about how I look like a cute boy - well - .....-_- she meant well too - thanks Mom!

Anyway - the kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing and I am glad that you are all receiving some of it too.

Cheers~

Rose

What meant the most to me was when I was diagnosed and I kept getting these little cards from people in my city. They were cards saying they donated blood in my name to help out those who need it. Hundreds of little cards from the police force, teachers at my school, people working at City Hall.

Thinking about it always makes my day and I appreciate their kindness so much.

You reminded me of when I got my head buzzed at the start of chemo and when I stood up in the salon everyone said "Oh what a beautiful head you have" and one lady said "so few people have beautiful heads but yours is perfect",,,I was strangely proud and complimented and it felt so nice to me.

Like bldrluck it was wonderful and inspiring when I was at church greeting folks and a lady at church hugged me saying she had her hat collection at home in her closet. Another time I was just starting to go hatless and a lady said she had the same hair cut under her wig and could not decide when to take off her wig but now she had the courage to go without her wig. One of my most tender moments was when the men's church retreat team would surround me with their strong arms and unite their voices in prayer and the ladies church retreat team sang "Fingerprints of God" doting my face with their fingerprints....tears flowed freely for us all!
Blessings to each of you!

This is a wonderful topic! I too have found so many strangers to be sweet and kind with a nod or a pat on the shoulder as acknowledgement or understanding. The best thing that happened however was with my optician. I've gone in several times for adjustments to my glasses, new glasses, etc. He started opening up to me about his life which is great now but now so great a number of years ago. His mother died of cancer when he was a young adult and he still misses her terribly. The last time I went to see him I noticed his hair was longer and he had it in a little pony tail. I asked about it and he said he was growing it out to donate to Locks of Love. He told me I was his inspiration. He wanted to do something to help cancer patients. I was so amazed and so touched by him.

I also have made many new friends at work as a result of my cancer. People from other departments who I really didn't know "before" have just come out of the woodwork to talk to me and see how I'm doing. Really wonderful. They still do it even though I'm doing better, have hair, and hopefully will be done with chemo soon. They comment on how good and healthy I look and comment on my curly hair that is growing in.

All these kindnesses that we have all experienced should help us deal with the occasional bonehead!

yes, I receivced so much so much love and caring from friends and family and people last year while under going surgery and chemo and again this year as I had to have another surgery and am under going chemo again. That's one leason cancer has taught me is people really care and what to help. And to let them. I feel so luck for all this love and caring.

I am so happy that people having been showing so much kindness to you all - what a wonderful thing!

Even when I went in to get my blood drawn today - a few of the nurses I met the first round of chemo were quick to say "oh hello and called me - by name!" and that was over three weeks ago and they get many many people through there - I was really floored that they remembered my name! -_- and even the lady who thought she knew me but never had actually met me - well - she was trying to be nice so kudos for that too -_-

Cheers~
Rose

What nice stories from you all on this subject. Here is what I have done when given the chance. I always say this to the person...I have been where you are 13 years ago and you will come through this my friend. Simple. If they want to share more they do and if not I just share a smile with them. I have to reach out cause I sure needed it at one time and it was appreciated. Hugs and be well my sisters. Healthy tomorrows........Jan

My daughter submitted my name and story to this group called "Spirit Jumpers," and she thought that maybe I would end up with one gift. I started receiving hats and little gifts and lots of cards from people I don't even know. Mainly they were just sending me notes to tell me they were thinking of me and wishing me well. I have been overwelmed with their kindness and it really helps to know they took the time to write me. They really are "Spirit Jumpers".

When I got diagnosed I was so surprised that I was on everyone's prayer lists.

The most touching was a group of golfers,,yes,,golfers with an official prayer list. It really made me smile.

I imagined their prayers,,"Dear Lord, help me with the swing and in the rough and help Pat who is in the rough big time"

Everyone has a prayer list. I like that an love theprayers all going up.

I appreciate the fact that I have people all over the world praying for me and wishing me well.
We're all blessed with angels that we've never met.

Take care & God Bless

One thing that has impressed me throughout my journey is the kindness of all of the staff at Dana Farber. I have never ever had to deal with any perfunctory, curt, rushed or insensitive treatment by anyone - from surgeons, PAs, nurses, techs, receptionists, social workers, volunteers, or parking attendants. They are always calm and/or cheerful as the situation warrants.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders