Tea and Chemo

I have read in another thread that one should avoid tea while taking chemotherapy. Could someone cite some evidence on this? I would think that drinking tea would be good for you! I don't like to assume that everything I read on these boards are facts. If you have evidence that tea is bad for chemo, please cite it here. I have looked and cannot find anything about it.

11 replies. Join the discussion

I was shocked by that statement as well. Even my doctors told me to avoid added supplements, but told me anything I eat or drink shouldn't be a problem when I was having chemo. In fact, during that time, I was drinking about 4 or 5 cups of green tea everyday, and I responded very well to chemo. I do a lot of research on a regular basis and haven't come across anything about the tea and chemo problem. So if there is some creible source about that, please do share it with us.

I have not heard about that either. My doctor said I can have anything I want. She is excited that I would want to eat anything during chemo. I drink tea all the time, either iced or hot.

I am guessing that the belief stems from some interpretations of whether or not one should have antioxidants in one's diet during chemo. From all I have read, they are okay. There is some small caution about certain anti-inflammatories during certain types of chemos.

If you want to research, i would suggest a credible complementary medicine source, such as www.drweil.com. I also rely on Ralph Moss' advice, as well as research coming out of Life Extension.

To me it would seem incredulous to eliminate anti-oxidants in your diet during chemo. I can see why you might want to avoid supplements and herbs, but plain old iced tea seems good to me. I also think hot tea would be good. I will keep looking here for some facts about this. I would not want people to stop drinking tea just because of something they read. My doctor has put no restrictions on what I eat or drink!

My onc told me to avoid supplements which I did but she said alittle green tea was OK. And ginger was not ruled out either. The ginger actually helps with nauseau.

Hello
I drink 5-7 cups of Green TEA DAILY ~ NO caffeine ~
Also, I do Drink 'Yogi Tea"...several different kinds
I love it and it's very soothing ~ www.yogitea.com
I just love my tea...

Since I started a new chemo 2 months ago, we again went over what I should and should not be doing. As usual, I was told to take no supplements or anything herbal at all - but a simple multi-vitamin is okay if I feel I need it. A lot of the anti-oxidants and herbs interfere with the chemo.

I asked if it was okay to drink some green tea w/lemon, which I brew for iced tea - I was told "it's okay, but don't drink it all day long." I think plain tea is okay.

Some teas can be like a diuretic, kinda like coffee. I think that is right word for it, meaning that it would cause you to pee all your liquids out and therefore cause you to become dehydrated.

I still drink green tea, ginger tea, and peppermint tea while on chemo; actually I also add cannabis to my tea for pain, nausea, and dehydration (it makes me very, very thirsty).

I've been drinking herbal teas - the mints, ginger, chamomile, red rooibos- up to four huge mugs a day, during all of my chemos. From time to time I also add in green tea or decaf green tea. I was never told not to do it.

I was told to be careful about anything which could strengthen cell walls. It would be good for our blood cells and nerve cells, but it would also strengthen the cell walls of the cancer cells, making it harder for the chemo to penetrate and kill these cells.

The main thing I was told about tea and coffee is what has already been posted; they dehydrate us, so constipation could be more of an issue. This wasn't mentioned, but in thinking about caffeinated beverages, the steroids already make sleeping more difficult. I wonder whether the caffeine heightens this effect? (I drank Caramel Diet Pepsi Jazz throughout chemo; it was the only beverage that tasted good. Alas! They no longer make it, which is probably a good thing for me.

I was told to avoid some nutrients because I was taking warfarin to keep my portacath open. Certain vitamins can interfere with the effectiveness of the warfarin or at least with the blood tests done to measure its effectiveness.

I drank Essiac Tea right through 18 months of chemo. My doctor told me to "keep drinking the tea". There are many, many sites stating the benefits of drinking Essiac Tea, and Dr. Weil is the only one who I have read negative remarks about the tea.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders