Surgical clips left in after a hysterectomy?!

Is it normal to have surgical clips left in your body after a hysterectomy? I just requested a copy of the latest CT scan results and saw a comment about surgical clips somewhere near my retro-peritoneum I think (the report is at home). My doctor never mentioned this to me, and I have been having pain in the lower pelvis, near the crease where my leg attaches to my body. My doctor has said he thought it could be a torn muscle or something, but nothing showed up on the CT scan--wouldn't it show up? And now I am wondering if my pain is from these clips I didn't know about until now? Please advise.

13 replies. Join the discussion

Oh, my yes it is normal to have clips in. I have clips not only from hysterectomy, but from gallbladder surgery as well. They're harmless and necessary by and large. You can relax.

OHHH thank you so much--that makes me feel so much better!!

I had pain in that same place months after my surgery and it just went away :)

Yes I discovered there were surgical clips in my body by reading CT. Was told it was quite common.

I have many surgical clips left in. I also found out by reading the scan report.

Wow, I am going to ask my oncologist if I have some...I have pain in my back mid region since my surgery and maybe that is from a clip pressing on something. All this time thought they dropped me off the OR table or something before or after surgery or was adhesions. Maybe it is a clip.

Hi ! :-) Yep, i too have one clip. I was told they do this so if you need radiation they will "see" where to zap because they put the clips "where the they saw the cancer at its deepest, or where they believe it started." Dont stress sweetie! :-)
Love,Kim

I have one too.

I have them also - by the way, they don't interfere with traveling through metal detectors :)

http://www.steadyhealth.com/CT_scan_reveals_surgical_clips_after_TT___Why__ t133090.html

This sure surprised me. Its state of the art surgical practice now. This link goes to total thyroidectomy patients but the pathologist's answer is universal.

Clips galore, baby! They're my badges of courage, though I didn't even know they existed until I read a PET scan report.

I supposedly have 28 clips. I didn't know about mine either until I happened to read a report to research another problem! I kind of freaked out! I was flying soon afterward and thought I would light up like a Christmas tree in the airport scanners! Luckily, that didn't happen.

You would think the doctors might have an obligation to mention if we had a bunch of metal clips in our body. I think it is our right as patients to know this information!

At any rate, mine have not bothered me as far as I know. It's hard to know what causes which pains! Overall, I feel good.

Stay strong!

Angel

Thanks so much Ladies! I don't know what I would do without this website. I totally agree that I think we should be told about these clips so we don't freak out when we read the scans!

I went to my acupuncturist yesterday and she recommended castor oil packs to help with the pain; I had never heard about this before, googled it, and came up with the following link which was just updated today:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/castor_oil.html

I will try it tonight and see if it helps

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders