Supplements Therapeutic for Cancer

I have gotten questions on my supplement list, so I thought I'd compile one and post it once more:

Supplements Therapeutic for Cancer
Vitamin C (1 g/d) (May be contra-indicated with chemotherapy.)
Selenium (methylselenocysteine) (600 mcg mg 2x daily) Vitamin Research Products (Zinc and L-theanine have been found to minimize the demethylating effects of selenium, so alternating between these may be most effective.)
Zinc (30 mg daily)
Lycopene or carotenoid complex (10-15 mg 2x daily)
Co-Enzyme Q10 (200 mg twice daily) (not during chemotherapy - at least first week)
Green Tea Extract (ECGC) (6 grams or more daily). (not w/Velcade)

Cancer-fighting Supplements
Vitamin D 2-4,000 IU
Vitamin K2
Ursolic Acid or Cranberry Extract/Sage Extract
CLA (Conjugated Linolenic Acid) (1 softgel 3x daily)
Fish Oil (4 softgels daily)
Calcium D-Glucarate (1000 mg 3x daily)
Boswellia Serrata Extract (1 gram 3x daily)
Cal Mag Inositol Hexaphosphate & Inositol (IP6 Gold or Enzymatic brands) (6 - 8 capsules 2x daily)
Grape Seed Extract (200 mg daily)
Spirulina (4 tablets 2x daily)
Garlic (2 capsules 2x daily)
Enzymes (Bromolain or digestive/ proteolytic) (4-5 tablets on empty stomach 3x daily)
Probiotics as directed
Minerals for strong bones and to alkalize (calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus)
Iodine/Iodide (12 mg/d)
Tocotrienols - Unique Tocotrienol (at least 200mg/d)
Coconut oil 3 tblsp/d
Melatonin 20g/d

Immune Enhancers:
2. Immune Enhancers
Avemar (Ave Ultra) 2 hrs before other supps/food
Olive leaf extract 1500mg 3xd (found to enhance some chemos/inhib others)
Echinacae 800mg 2xd
Proboost (thymic protein A)
Natural Factors nondenatured whey 1 heaping scoop (on empty stomach)
Acemannen (Av Ace-Imune)
AHCC 1500 mg 2-3xd (on empty stomach)
Pine Cone Extract 1-2 pills/d
Lactoferrin 1-2 pills/d
Alpha Lipoic Acid 500mg 2xd (R Alpha Lipoic Acid is better absorbed, also more expensive.) In addition to anticancer, antioxidant, immune enhancer, it enhances Q10

Treatment Agents
(Each of these compounds can be used as a complimentary or stand-alone cancer treatment.)

Curcumin (500 mg - 1 gram/kg of body weight taken with treatment to enhance efficacy of Taxol)

Ginger (500mg - 1 gram/kg of body weight five days per week, three weeks a month.)
See Ginger in Chapter 6. Use in combination with thianine.

L-Theanine (400-800 mg 3x daily.)
Theanine depletes glutathione and works as an MDR reversal agent. It enhances the effects of chemotherapy. It also works synergistically with ginger. Take at the start of a chemotherapy infusion and continuing for four days before reducing dose.

Angiogenesis Inhibitors (Tetrathiomolybdate (TM), *Chelated Molybdenum,C-Statin, AngioStop)

Pawpaw (One capsule 3 times daily) used to enhance the effect of standard as well as alternative treatments.

* TM is made from molybenum. It's uncertain whether mb can inhib angiogenesis. Probably not - it is thought to require sulfur although if taking sulfur like MSM would make a difference, I don't know.

Edited October 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

28 replies. Join the discussion

Do you take all of these?

I have not taken Tetrathiomolybdate. I have taken everything else. I am not taking all off them right now.

Thanks!

Hello Michele,

I admire you research and determination on taking all these supplements. Has this gives you a long remission or are you still on chemo. Each individual supplement may be good but if you combine all these things together what side effects can play havoc in your body.

Love
Shin

Hello Michele,
Since I am on weekly Taxol I was wondering if Curcumin would effect any prescription medication I am on for high blood pressure. I read that curcumin can be hard on the liver over time and in high doses. Is Tumeric extract the same as curcumin extract? Is one supplement better than another? I want to try curcumin but need some advice on how and what to take. Thank You

Love
Shin

Wow, well.. all that stuff together: I don't know, do you ask that about the multi-vitamin complexes out there that have 30 or so different ingredients? Nutrients do effect each other tho. I pointed out zinc and selenium may sort of cancel each other out and you know vit d enhances calcium as does coconut oil.. I recently read that butyrate and beta carotene conflict with each other.. ALA enhances Q10. Minerals generally tend to affect a number of things... And I never said you must take them all. That's a lot of money and a lot of pills. As always it's information for you to do additional research on and decide what to take from it. I have posted on many of these and probably have research on it if not. You can ask for research if you don't find any.

turmeric is not curcumin but it's 70% curcumin. I don't know of any contra-indications. To enhance Taxol I took 500mg/kg during infusion and that's it. I started 15 min before infusion during premeds and took 20g every 2 hours. My numbers had stopped coming down this brought them down and kept them down for 3 months then I became resistant.

Michelle,
Thanks for info - what about Agericus Blazei (sp?) or coriolis? low dose naltrexone (LDN)? Do you really take 20 grams curcumin every 2 hrs during infusion of taxol? that is a lot!! My wife is taking 6 grams per day per Dr Aggarwal recommendation of 8 grams per day (we are working up to it). Seems like so much would be tough on the system? When you say 'became resistant' was that to the curcumin? I was not aware it was synergistic with taxol - interesting! You are very well read on the supplement front and appreciate your advice. My wife is in middle of cycle 7 plan on 8 of first line treatment - as of a few weeks ago at beginning of cycle 6 her CA 125 was 42 so we want to continue to get it down more (started at 2400+ pre surgery). We are struggling to make decision on going with CTCA recommendation Dr Chen for low dose weekly taxol/carbo along with avastin until CA 125 bottoms out - seems aggressive - our doctor is not pushing avastin. She sees it better as second line. Her stance is after clean CT last week - do 2 more cycles and 'call it good'. But, I must say, I do like Dr Chen's aggressive stance. We meet with Dr Goff on 10/24 which should help us make a decision. Sorry to get off topic - but certainly supplements is key now and will be key to 'maintenance'!
John

FYI there is a long thread discussing curcumin in Racheldon's journal section.

and also FYI, brand new research on a curcumin analogue and cisplatin. Remember an analogue is not the same as curcumin. The new analogues are being developed to increase curcumin bioavailability. But this is good initial news.

Cancer Biol Ther. 2011 Nov 1;12(9). [Epub ahead of print]
HO-3867, a curcumin analog, sensitizes cisplatin-resistant ovarian carcinoma, leading to therapeutic synergy through STAT3 inhibition.
Selvendiran K, Ahmed S, Dayton A, Kuppusamy ML, Rivera BK, Kálai T, Hideg K, Kuppusamy P.
SourceThe Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA.

Abstract
Cisplatin resistance is a major obstacle in the treatment of ovarian cancer. Drug combinations with synergistic or complementary functions are a promising strategy to overcome this issue. We studied the anticancer efficacy of a novel compound, HO-3867, used in combination with cisplatin against chemotherapy-resistant ovarian cancer. A2780R cells, a cisplatin-resistant human ovarian cancer cell line, were exposed to 1, 5, or 10 uM of HO-3867 alone or in combination with cisplatin (10 ug/ml) for 24 hours. Cell viability (MTT), proliferation (BrdU), cell-cycle analysis (FACS), and protein expression (western blot) were used for in vitro studies. STAT3 overexpression was performed using transfected STAT3 cDNA. In vivo studies used cisplatin-resistant xenograft tumors grown in nude mice and treated with 100-ppm HO-3867 and weekly injections of 4-mg/kg cisplatin. HO-3867/cisplatin combination treatment significantly inhibited cisplatin-resistant cell proliferation in a concentration-dependent manner. The inhibition was associated with increased expression of p53 and p21, and decreased expression of cdk5 and cyclin D1. Apoptosis was induced by activation of Bax, cytochrome c release, and stimulated cleavage of caspase-9, caspase-3, and PARP. Overexpression of STAT3 decreased the HO-3867-induced apoptosis. The combination treatment significantly inhibited the growth of cisplatin-resistant xenograft tumors with significant downregulation of pSTAT3, and without apparent toxicity to healthy tissues. The combination treatment exhibited synergistic anticancer efficacy, which appears largely due to HO-3867-induced downregulation of pSTAT3. The results, combined with the previously-reported safety features of HO-3867, suggest the potential use of this compound as a safe and effective adjuvant for the treatment of ovarian cancer.

PMID:21885917[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

yes supplements are good, but they are not a treatment. There are things that can enhance chemo like curcumin - look up "enhance cisplatin" and "enhance Taxol". There are also off-label use drugs and some very interesting Chinese herbs that can be used as alt treatments after chemo and are much more potent thatn supplements. Cancer becomes resistant to anything that is cytotoxic including curcumin. I had grown resistant to Taxol and curcumin reversed that for awhile and then I became resistant to curcumin.

wow... thanks for the list.
sweet

What is your food / nutritional approach?

Look up my Great Green Soup. I also make cashew butter with olive oil - cashews are dry, olive oil is good (omega 9) Castor oil is omega 9 btw also I've been taking it. Just learned it is precursor to CLA which has anticancer properties as well as weight loss properties. Castor is much cheaper than CLA, I digress. Cashews are high in kaempferol, which is an important flavonoid otherwise found in kale, chard, spinach. Most other nuts - especially peanuts are estrogenic. I have it on ww toast with lots of cinnamon (good triterpene w/ anticancer properties.) I drink green tea and coffee substitute (Pero, which is high in inulin fiber.) That's kinda it. Kinda boring.

I would suggest that any member reading this long list of supplements to PLEASE not just begin taking the items on this list UNTIL you have shown it to your oncologist.

If you are on chemo, you need to know that some supplements actually work against the chemo drugs.

Also, be aware that many supplements taken in quantity or long term have side-effects of their own, some of which are not desireable.

AHCC is a fermented mushroom blend that seems to be more potent than other mushroom supps. LDN - I tried to make this list supplements not drugs, but I took LDN for a few months and it didn't seem to do anything.

Interesting....castor oil is cremaphore---what taxol is dissolved in.

I have taken tumeric during my remission and believe in the antiinflammatory effect. After 2 years, I backed off on my standbys: tumeric 1-2x/day, IP6 (Samsuddin brand) 1-2 scoops/day for a month every few months, added agave, drank green tea all day and ate vegetarian/raw foods with tempeh fried in coconut oil, natto 3x/week, raw coconut oil and sugary foods crept in.
Looking back, and looking ahead, I am
pulling the things that fuel cell growth
and inflammation : sugar, agave, coconut oil, acai, fried foods (acrylamide), enzymes (they help the cancer eat through tissue too) and wil lower my natto & tempeh & fruit consumption as well as beans and rice (empty carbs and folic acid). I cut my liquid multi vitamin Alive! supplement to every other day or so.
Just had my 4th carbo tx, woke up at 2:30 A.M.....going to Seattle next week to be evaluated for cyber knife radiation to zap the nodes. Can't tell yet if carbo is working because my CA 125 is still at 9. Can only follow it with a PET scan.
I'm rethinking supplements though ever since the research on folic acid receptors on OvC cells. Because the embryonic genes are induced in cancer, I think of it like the body is trying to grow a baby. What helps embryogenesis and implantation in the womb? Those things I will try to eliminate without damaging the Host!

Eliminating sugar including fruit is worthwhile. Natto is made from soy so it as well as beans are estrogenic and I would not eat those. But I have only seen studies that indicate coconut oil is beneficial. Do you have any studies that indicate it fuels cancer?
M

I've seen nothing wrong with coconut oil either and the only thing wrong with beans is estrogenic if you are ER positive and potentially iron if you eat too many. they are not empty carbs like the rice.

how about quinoa?

p.s. something I read convinced me IP6 is a nono during chemo?

I wish you knew where it was. That would be helpful.

As far as rice being empty carbs, that's not true. We don't want to eat any processed foods or grains - white bread or rice. They have not only been stripped of nutrients but contribute to a buildup of harmful bacteria in the gut, which can contribute to diseases including cancer.

Whole grains like brown rice and buckwheat, add B vitamins, protein, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and fiber to your diet. A serving of barley contains more than 50% of a day’s requirement of selenium and is rich in beta-glucan. Rice bran contains nine different triterpene alcohols and phytosterols. The increased fiber in whole grains aids the glucuronidation process, breaking down estrogens and other toxins.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders