Spread to the Colon

Hi everyone, just wanted to update...I got a call from my sister today telling me that the nurses found a mass. They suspect that the ovarian cancer spread, because it's rare to have both colon and ovarian cancer at the same time, but are sending it to pathology to confirm. Has anyone else had this happen? Does this change the treatment plan?

Edited June 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm

9 replies. Join the discussion

I am so sorry to hear that. Did you talk to the doctor about it?

My sister did...the colonoscopy doctor is sending a sample to pathology to determine if it is ovarian cancer or colon cancer. She thinks it is ovarian cancer that has spread. I am so scared and confused, I don't know what this means for her treatment :(

I don't really know anything about this, so I don't want to give you misinformation. But please talk to the Onc. I know that some women have had ovca spread to the colon and I hope you hear from them. Try not to panic. The good news is that they found it prior to surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Stephanie

My ovarian cancer spread to my colon and my doctor did a bowel resection. He cut the mass out and that was that (for now). Please don't fret. The surgeon can remove it. Please know that you and your mom are in my prayers.

Stephanie, thank you for your support. It seems so scary to hear that it has spread, especially after the doctor told us she didn't think it had.

Kayelgee, thank you SO much for sharing your experience. May I ask how having it spread to your colon affects your treatment, if at all?

Ovarian cancer can spread and grow on any surface in abdomen. Pieces of the colon can be safely removed depending on the extent and sizes of the mass. A good gyn/oncologist is skilled at quite extensive surgery and tumor removal. Sometimes it will involve a colostomy, either temporary or permanent. You'll know better what she's up against once she gets to surgery.

Michelle,
Did they do another scan and see something in or on the colon? Is her staging and debulking still on July 2nd or did they do it early and see a mass? I had a large tumor on my omentum and some cancer on the outside of my colon. That piece of colon was removed and my colon was put back together and I have been problem free since my chemo except for a hernia that caused a bowel blockage and that was easily fixed with surgery. Sometimes a tumor on the outside of the colon can be more of a problem than what I had and it would be unusual for her to have 2 kinds of cancer at the same time. I am no expert but could help better if I knew if she had her surgery early or if they found the mass on a scan. Is it in the colon or on the outside?Please excuse me if I missed any posts. So let me know if you can how they found the mass.
Thank you,Anne

Anne,

Thank you for replying. They found the mass during her colonoscopy yesterday, Thursday, June 25th. Her staging and debulking are still happening on Friday, July 2nd. The mass was in the colon. The doctor said it was fairly big :(

Thank you,
Michelle

I'm scheduled for routine colonoscopy July 28 (my sister is colon cancer survivor) and have OVCA, so this thread is a bit scary for me. After my hysterectomy, I had a colonoscopy about three months later and all was well, so I'm hoping all will be well now. I do have a walnut sized tumor that metastacized from the ovary that we're trying to zap with various chemos. This is such a complex disease. Must keep our hope. Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders