Shoulder pain

I am on maintenance Avastin and have been experiencing increasing pain in my shoulders. At first I thought I was sore because I started Nordic Tracking again, (had to drag that baby out of the corner of the basement and dust it off!) So I stopped doing the Nordic Track, and the shoulder pain didn't go away, and, in fact, has been with me for months. I've never mentioned it specifically to the doctor; I just have said that I am having joint pain, which I do have in my hips and neck. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, girls!
Pat

18 replies. Join the discussion

I have had shoulder pain and next pain for about two months now. It started after my chemo. However, I started swimming again and blame it on that. Some days, the pain is so bad, I can't sleet. (This has been the past two nights) My counts are low so I figure it is not part of the cancer.

Hi
I also suffered of shoulder pain while I was in avastin maintenance treatment. I do not it was a coincide, but both, the shoulder pain and the difficulty to move neck, ended when I began to take magnesium supplement:

I am experiencing the should pain, mostly on my left side. I attributed it to sleeping on my left side. It hurts from the shoulder joint down mid-way of the outside of the arm. I told doctor about it and he thinks it arthritis. I did not have this pain prior to taking Avastin. I'm sure it could be related to the Avastin but what can you do?

there is a more recent thread called 'avastin' where a lot of women talk about upper arm and shoulder pain - check it out

I started having pain in my upper arms and shoulders after being on Avastin for nine months. It got worse and worse and regular doc thought it was arthritis and bursitis. I went to PT but it hurt even worse. Doc finally gave me an anti-inflammatory pill "Etodolac", which worked like a charm. I also had an MRI which showed arthritis, a rotator cuff tear and a bone spur!!! Went to PT again but to a different facility. They used different methods and also a TENS machine. I've been much better since that PT and have now bought a TENS machine on-line. It was a little over $100 but I haven't used it yet. Since so many of us seem to have this, I feel there must be SOME relationship to the Avastin!?!....maybe it's just old age (very tiny letters...)

I am in a clinical trial GOG-0252 and finished the chemo part mid December and have been on maintenance Avastin since then. Since the first of the year I've had bilateral shoulder pain - saw an ortho., dx. as impingement syndrome and both shoulders have had cortisone injections. But the real problem has been the unrelentless sore, stiff neck. I tried Aleve, no help, acupunture, no help and massages. When both my husband and the massage therapist felt a bump on my neck, I freaked out. So at my scheduled CT in April for the cancer, I had them check my neck and head - all good. Now I'm in PT and basically getting deep tissue massage for 30 mins and home exercises for my shoulders and neck. Add to that, after cleaning out my nasal passages due to the Avastin I hear a "whistling" sound when I breath in. Checked out the Avastin side effects and they do include perforations in the nose - so off to the ENT doctor June 2nd. I can't believe all of this isn't due to the Avastin or side effects of the IV/IP taxol and cisplatin I got. I scared to stop the Avastin - I was dx. stage ,3 grade 3 clear cell in July 2010. If the PT doesn't help, I'll defintely check out the Etodolac.

Shoulder pain can be a referred pain from something happening in the abdomen, so it's a good idea to mention it to the doctor.

Borderline3: Seriously???? Shoulder pain can be a referred pain from the abdomen? That makes no sense to me. Is it okay to wait until May 31, or should I call my doctor?
I just HATE cancer. Found out today that my brother-in-law's cancer is back. Pancreatic that spread to liver. He's been on borrow time for almost 3 years. (Sorry........just had to vent.)
Pat

I had 8 months of Avastin alone.....had just about everything mentioned above....shoulder pain, neck so stiff I could not turn my head left or right......numbness in my fingers......
Tried all the above....pain meds, massage.....pt....
Have been off of it for 6 months now.......no more shoulder pain....can undo my bra once again.....and shave my armpit....turn my head left and right with ease......can sleep now with no pain....
to me, totally due to Avastin....and have told my gyn/onc....never again unless its
the ONLY option I have left. I am back on chemo......w/o Avastin.

Tell your physician...just to make sure it is not tumor related pain.

Not to scare you but my sister first symptom was shoulder pain ..... it was from the oc that mets to the liver.

thewishmaker: You have just described my neck and shoulder issues precisely. Seriously, I have not felt very well while on Avastin. Lots of headaches and other joint pain besides the neck and shoulders. Can hardly wait to be finished. And I have bad neuropathy in my feet and small amount in my fingers. (I'm sure I have to blame that on taxol. BUT, I am in remission 7 months out from finishing standard chemo, so I'm going to stay the course with the Avastin until September. You have given me optimism that I will soon feel much better when I am finished with it. How long did it take for the shoulder and neck issues to resolve once you stopped?
Good luck with new treatment. I need to reread your posts to see where you are at with all of this. I can NEVER keep everyone straight.
Thanks for responding!
Pat

My_Sister's_Keeper, and Borderline3: thanks for your concern. Just to be sure the shoulder pain isn't a signal of a recurrence, I will tell my doctor on May 31. Thank you!
Pat

taiga,
I'm in that same clinical trial. Avastin has its own special gifts for us, correct? Thank you for taking the time to respond. I wish you a pain-free recovery!!!
Pat

Thanks to ALL who responded. I DO think this is all due to Avastin, but I will chat with my doctor to be sure. This is the BEST place to ask questions! Love you all.
Pat

I tend to wait, if I have an appointment with the doctor coming up and if nothing seems like a crisis.

Yes, pain the abdomen often feels like pain in the shoulder. But I didn't mean to freak you out about it -- it's just something to consider.

I had pain in my left shoulder a year ago and it took me six weeks to figure out it wasn't a muscular problem. I had ascites, which had been accumulating very slowly, and I guess it was lapping against my diaphragm. The pain stopped immediately when the ascites was drained. I know it seems weird. The way it was explained in my college classes was, if the organs in our gut had nerve endings all over the place like our hands and our tongues do, we would be horribly distracted all the time as the organs squeeze and grind and gurgle and bump against each other. So we have very few sensory nerves inside, and what we have is poorly organized. When something's wrong, the message reaches the brain that something's amiss, but since we're hard-wired to not feel much in our guts, the brain attributes the pain to something nearby. I've forgotten the technical details now, but there was something about the shoulder nerves being the next spot up the spinal column... ummm... or something like that, which made it sensible for us to feel gut pain as shoulder pain. (And I can't begin to explain why gas pains hurt so dang bad, when we're not supposed to be aware of what our intestines are doing!!! Why don't gas pains get converted to a tiny, barely perceptible twitch in the shoulder?!) ;-)

Trouble in the heart and lungs can refer to the shoulder, too, and that's why shoulder pain is a danger sign of heart attack.

So anyway, I'm just saying it's important for anyone to check out shoulder pain if it isn't clearly a muscle or joint problem. If it is referred pain, that doesn't mean it's a new growth -- there's scar tissue to consider and all that stuff -- but having chronic shoulder pain is definitely something the gyn/onc should hear about.

For what it's worth, I've had four Avastin treatments (Avastin only as maintenance) so far, and I've had no trouble -- some headaches, but no other symptoms.

Chances are it is nothing but with oc you cannot be too careful. Good luck!

Pat,
I know what you mean about keeping up with who says what.......I feel fine now as far as my shoulder, the neck and the numbness is gone......but
I also developed vertigo and although it is much, much better ,I still have a bit of dizziness.
Please, please if you develop any back pain or hip pain tell your onc about this.....I have now developed mets to my spine, which I've been told is so rare for ovac patients. As for my brain.....I will always believe that Avastin affected me neurologically.....if its from Taxol then thank the good Lord I did not do the year of maintenance......
If you read my posts about my recent visits to a neurologist and oncology neuro surgeon you'll find where I'm at now since the discovery of the spine mets.

I have never been on Avistan and I have the shoulder and hip pain. I get shots just to help me walk or use my arms.
I feel it was chemo, but I can't get anyone to give a diagnosed. I have also have pain in my legs which hurt daily!
Oh well ladies, we just march on!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders