Port Removal

Hi all,
I had my port removed about a weeks and a half ago. I kept it 14 months after my last chemo. While removing it the doctor said a lot of scar tissue had formed around it. Now that is has been out over a week, there is still a solid mass at the area. I am wondering if this is still the scar tissue. I will call the doc Monday, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!
Lisa

18 replies. Join the discussion

Was it a chest or arm?

It was in my chest.

Mine was put in the end of August 2009 and removed last week. Although I still have stitches and it's still a little tender, I don't feel any type of scar tissue under the incision.

Mine was installed in chest on 09/15/09, I had it taken out on 03/011/10...I have a scar and what looks like bruising...but no lumpy scar tissue.

I had my port out in April 2010. I do have a little scar tissue. I massage it like they did when I had therapy after leg surgery. It seems to be getting smaller. I was going to ask the Dr. during my regular visit on Wed.

Why have it removed? My port from BC stayed in place for three years and came in handy many times for blood draws and when i had pneumonia. Knowing the nature of OVC I do not plan to have the port removed so long as it functions properly. I hear of many who have their port removed and just wondered why.

I had my port put in July 2006 and still have it. It is convenient for blood draws and for recurrence which I had in June 2009. I love my port and plan to keep it forever. We never know when recurrence will occur. I have it flushed every three months when I see the doctor and take an aspirin a day.

The only way the lump will go away is if the doctor took the encapsulation material that was around the port. If he did not, it will not go away.

I've had my port for 4 years and plan on keeping it as long as it works. Better than having another put in if a recurrence should happen. with OVC you never know.

I have had my port for 3yrs and do not plan on it coming out unless it has to be changed or something....But it has been a Blessings with blood drawns and giving fluids...And if I need anything done to put me alseep its even used for that...No No mine is staying too lol
~alley~
P.S. I always wondered that too! Why would anyone get it taking out!? Just curious:)

I had to have one taken out shortly after insertion because the tissue around it became infected with MRSA. Then I had to wait for a year before they would put in another one. The second was successful and it can stay forever as far as i am concerned.

Sometimes scar tissue does lessen. I had a big rope of scar tissue after my partial thyroidectomy. I really didn't believe my doctor when he told me it would go away, but it did. I think it took a few months, but now it's totally gone.

I had my port removed because they could no longer do blood draws through it, I had to stay on coumadin as long as it was in there, and I began having severe pain in my left arm to the point I could barely use it. The gyn/onc I had at the time said the arm pain had nothing to do with the port.

Then through the wonderful workings of insurance coverage I had to switch to a new place. Loved the new gyn/onc. Oddly enough, as I soon as I mentioned the shoulder/arm pain I was still having, she said, "Have you had CT scans and an MRI?"

I said, "No."

She said, "Any time you have pain on the side where you had a port we need to rule out the possibility of blood clots."

Hmmm!

Anyway, the arm pain is almost gone, although I still can't sleep on that side. Unfortunately, I have a deviated septum and sleeping on the left side allows me to breathe better. Oh, well! I'm alive and kicking.

A very experienced nurse who flushed my port the last time said that after a year, the possible risks of having the port start to outweigh the benefits--risk of clots and infection. She commented that it is a foreign body and that ports have a finite life, each is good for a certain number of sticks. I had been planning to keep my port but now I am thinking about having it out if I am still NED a year after my last chemo.
Lisa

I still have my abdominal port after over a year and the onc at Hopkins said keep it,,I kept wondering why but maybe they do IP more than once. THe nurse did say they used if if God forbid you got ascites,,sometimes they can drain it.

Nobody draws blood out of my port however,,only the onc nurse and the MD access it. I shriek at the thought of a phlebotomist accessing it and am very protective of it,,even the doc gets quizzed before he does it every three months for flushing. I make him tell me what he will do,,he thinks it is funny that I am so strict about it.

I understand they are good for many many sticks.

I had my port (chest) removed a month after finishing chemo six months ago. It was an obvious outward dark scar at first, but the a dermatologist recommended that after the wound itself healed, to keep it moisturized. CeraVe (the thick stuff in the round tub) worked great. I recently ran out and was using Burts Bees radiance eye creme on it (since I had some extra on my finger!) and it has softened significantly faster.

Lisa59, you are usually right on with your answers...lol..my port came out as soon as chemo was finished. I had a Hohn catheter in my chest and the docs said it is more prone to infections etc and I had an IP port removed as well and they said they wouldnt use that again if I had a recurrence soooo...it was the doctors plan and thats why mine came out...I think I had different ports then most of you other ladies on here,

That was the IV port . They can stay longer .
The IP port has to come out as soon as the treatment is over .

I hear quite often that there is no ill effects to leaving the IP port in.It can be used to remove ascitis in the abdomen

Thanks , I didn't know that .
I have been told , that it has to come out asap ,after IP chemo is finished .

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders