Ovarian cancer progressed to bladder

Ihave just found out that my ovarian cancer has now moved to the inter and outer lining of my blader. I am up and down as many times a night as 25 to go because of the pressure on the bladder. I now also wear poise pad because when I stand up I leak or I just can't get there in time. I'm not very good with a computer and don't even know if this is going anywhere. But if one out there has the same problem, I sure use you advise.

14 replies. Join the discussion

So sorry this has happened to you. Hope you can find some comfort here. There is alot of support here, and you can learn so much. We're always here if you need to let it all out. Hope your not in too much pain. Keep your chin up. We're all in this together!

I am so sorry to hear of your complication.

Is this a recurrence , and your bladder is the site of metastasis? Is your doc planning on surgery? I had to have unexpected bladder surgery and reconstruction when I had the hysterectomy that exposed my cancer. My cancerous left ovary, 11 cm. in diameter, had adhered to my bladder. I imagine the two combined caused a lot f my incontinence. I still have stress incontinence, so I sympathize with you there.

I would want to know what treatment my doctor was planning. Have you already had surgery and/or chemo?

Thank you for responding. I am so new to this online support system I wasn't sure I was doing it right. I am in a recurrence stage but only small spots in pelvic area. This four years plus of chemo. Then I began to feel some differences during exams and having some pain when urinating. Then I began the up and down all night. I have been on Avastin for a long time and then my Dr added Cytoxon daily by mouth and Avastin every two weeks IV. My emotions have been like a roller coaster ride. I go Monday for an exam and Avastin treatment. Monday is also my 52nd birthday.. I pray for something positive from the Dr.

This is a reoccurance. I going to have a PET scan Tues. Then I am going to Duke for a second opinionon the following Thursday. I am taking Avistan and Cytoxin Chem. So far my Dr. says surgury is not an option. So, look out Duke, here I come.

Hi. Will you be at Duke on May 28? Which doctor are you seeing? I went to Duke for 25 years with type 1 diabetes, then 10 years and counting for my kidney-pancreas transplant, and now going on 3 years for ovarian cancer - plus a lot of other things along the way. I think you are going to a good place! I'm truly sorry about your bladder involvement, and I pray for something positive, too.

Happy Birthday!

Joan

Do you get the feelling you have to go most all the time? I found every time we have relations I end up with another urinary tract infection. I am put on septra ds about every 3 weeks since Jan. No incontinence but it feels like the urethra is irritated. I'm afraid the cancer has spread to the bladder. I can't do any more chemo as I was taken to the brink twice and they didn't think I'd survive so I went into hospice for the time being and now this bladder problem started in Jan.

dollycat6

I don't have any advice, but happy birthday . Peggy

Thank you for your support. I keep you informed as to the out come of the second opinion at Duke. Please don't forget us in your prayers.

I am not sure if they would can it a reaccurance or not since I have been in an active state for four years. I think the cancer thought the more places it could call home the better...HA. I am still Chem, Avastin and Cytoxon. I will be having a PET scan tonight and then will be going to Duke for a second opinion. So far I have been told surgury is not an option. I pray Duke will have something more to offer. Thank you for your response. Keep us in your prayers.

I am praying for a good response. I have been with my Dr at Forsyth in Winston for 8 years and trust him with my life. He is the one that wants be to get a second opinion and then arranged it all. The Dr I will be see at is Dr. Berchuck. They say the very best. I'll let you know. Keep praying for us. For all is up to him.

Hi, again. I see Berchuck, too. I think he is a great doctor, though he is a bit quieter than I like. :-) I hope you get to meet Charlotte, too. She's his nurse clinician. She is not quiet at all!

You said you would be there on Thursday. Is that this week, May 28? If so, our paths might cross and we could at least say hi.

I look forward to hearing the results of your second opinion, and I am keeping you in my prayers.

Joan K.

yes it feels like I have to go all the time day and night. So, far no UTI. I just got from Durham, ,Duke medical center today. They have given hope. It will be about a month before anything will start. The Dr there is working with my gyn/onc in Winston Salem, NC. I had a PET Scan Tues and it confirmed it is on my bladder and in the pelvic area. I'll try to keep you updated. Has your Dr done any scans to confirm where and far spread it is?

Joan:

Dr Berchuck is great. Yes I agree quite. He has come up with three thing we can try. I had a reaction to the platins but it was given in a 12 hr drip and he wants to try a 24 hr drip in the hospital. Said he has good results. The next is to do a test see if it genetice. There will new treatment if so in about a year. The next is surgury. This could result in the BAGS. So, at least I feel hopeful.

I hope you have good day and God Bless you.

Kim

PS please over look miss spelled words. I never was very good at it but chem has done a real number on what was there. HA

Hi, Kim. Sorry I didn't see you at Duke today. Or maybe I did and just didn't know it. :-) I was wearing teal shoes! And I was reading "Gilda's Story."

Berchuck is a very good surgeon. When I went to Hopkins for my second opinion, the doctor there told what great heroics Berchuck and a transplant surgeon went to, to remove as much cancer as possible. He said most surgeons would have removed the easy parts and closed me up. I wondered why my surgery took 10 hours! (The transplant surgeon helped because I've been significantly rearranged from a kidney-pancreas transplant.)

I'm so happy that you had a successful visit that gave you HOPE!

Joan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders