OVA 1 Blood Test

I just had an OVA 1 blood test about 10 days ago. My doctor called me on Friday to inform me that my test came back possitive. I went to have a CA 125 test done today and I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday. I had simply mentioned to my OBGYN at my visit how I was feeling which prompted him to order the ova 1 blood test. I am very nervous waiting for the results again. I did some research and I have every symptom that is listed for ovarian cancer. I have so many questions but no answers yet. I am only 41 and my Obgyn did not expect this result. Any advice?

15 replies. Join the discussion

Hi! First thing to remember...IT'S NOT CANCER TIL PATHOLOGIST SAYS SO! ....ALSO...MAKE SURE "ONLY AN ONCOLOGIST DOES SURGERY ON YOU!" .....and PLEASE, DONT LOOK STUFF UP ON INTERNET! YIKES! you will be convinced you have stuff ya dont even have..
Are you having a transvaginal ultrasound? ....Hope so! :-)
You have found the BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO MEED AWESOME LADIES THAT "CARE".
What prompted you to to have the ova1 blood test?
Love,Kim

Ooops, meant to say "best place in the world to meet awesome ladies that care"
Love,Kim

I am having the transvaginal ultrsound this Wednesday. I had mentioned to my doctor some of the things I was feeling and he suggested the ova 1 test. I work in the medical field but not OBGYN. I am thinking that I will have these test all done and then will still have to have surgery to confirm anything. Yes I have already research the best doctors in my area who specialize in OBGYN oncology.

Great to know you have an oncologist..thats HUGE. Just keep a positive attitude and "try" to relax...I know how hard that is... But soooo many things can cause a rise in those tests...so dont think the worst! ...and we are here if you need somebody to just talk to. :-)
Love,Kim

Thanks Kim. I am glad I have some support! I'll keep you informed.

I second wannaknow: gyn/onc only. I would also insist on an HE4 tummor marker being done in partnership with the CA125. It will debunk any false positives on the CA125, and you're young enough to have hormonal componants. I also echo Wannaknow: it ain't cancer until the final path report says it is.

Good luck, and hoping for a good outcome for you.

Thanks for the info imbeatingit! I already had my CA 125 done today. I will ask for that test also.

I'm a little surprised your doctor did the OVA1 first as that is supposed to be used prior to surgery when still not sure what they're dealing with. It actually measures 5 different proteins rather than the one in the ca125. I guess you might have a better idea what is going on after the ultrasound. I would recommend you ask for a referral to a gyn/oncologist just to be sure it's handled properly. Best of luck. Do come back and tell us what they find.

I'm not sure about any of this. I just want to know what I'm up against.

Just take it one step at a time. If the ultrasound reveals that you have an ovarian cyst, just remember that most ovarian cysts are benign. Kim (wannaknow) told you it isn't cancer until the pathologist says it's cancer--these are words of wisdom. Benign ovarian cysts can present very similar symptoms as malignant ones and the CA125 is notorious for false positives. Also, many GI problems present with the same symptoms. Please try not to worry yourself until your doctor can give you a clearer picture of what you're dealing with. After you get your ultrasound (and possibly a CT scan), you should discuss with the gyn/oncologist what findings in your U/S and CT scan reports indicate signs of a menacing condition, if any. If there is a cyst, they will be looking for things like the cyst's vascularity, wall thickness, size, complexity, and presence of ascites to help them better determine what they are dealing with. Let us know how it goes.

Okay, I'm going to be the wet blanket. I hope you don't mind. :)

I hope you don't have cancer, but don't take chances. I was only 41, so my OB/GYN couldn't imagine that I had ovarian cancer. Four days after she spilled it into my abdomen, she got the pathology reports back and found out that it was cancer, after all. You'd be surprised how often the spills happen, too.

If you really do have all the symptoms of ovarian cancer, you might want to be careful. It is true that you can't be correctly diagnosed until all the results come back from the lab, BUT the first surgery can have a huge impact. Do not let ANYONE do any surgery until you've seen a Gynecological Oncologist. If you have any large masses, ask if they can be removed intact. Be careful about laproscopic surgery, which can require cutting up large masses, making them dangerous if spilled.

1) Get to a Gynecological Oncologist
2) Take someone with you, so they can take notes and be sure your questions are answered. Almost no one can remember everything by herself.
3) Do go ahead with all the available blood tests (I agree that HE4 is a good idea, along with the OVA1 and CA-125.)
4) Be sure to have a vaginal ultrasound
5) Get a vaginal and rectal pelvic exam
6) Ask the Gynecological Oncologist if you should have a CAT scan (if the answer is "yes," then find out which facilities have a policy of minimizing your exposure to radiation.)
7) If the GYN/ONC still has questions, ask about getting a PET/CAT scan (done all at once in a special machine.) I've heard these reveal the most information, but they are expensive and the machines are not common. Also, I don't know about the radiation levels, which might be of concern. Your GynOnc may only need enough information to determine how to approach surgery, and s/he may already have that from all the other tests.

If you have any sort of mass or cyst, have the vaginal ultrasound of it evaluated very carefully. Vaginal ultrasounds can be quite useful for evaluating these things.

Look out for anything "large" or "complex." INSIST on retaining and preserving (by freezing, not wax preservation) anything which could possibly be a tumor. New tests and treatments are being evaluated all the time, and some of them require a sample of your tumor.

Ask lots of questions. Have your companion take notes.

Be careful. Don't panic, but be careful.

What is the OVA 1 blood test?

I know that you must be having INFORMATION OVERLOAD, but take a deep breath and write down a list of things you want to ask your doctor. Have someone go with you to the doctor. No one can remember everything.
The most difficult part of this disease is that it manifests itself in a variety of ways. An ultrasound is good for some forms of this disease, but not for others. This is why it is so important to have a Gyn/Onc on your team. In my opinion, that is the most important person that can guide you down the road of this journey. The Second most important thing to remember is that you are a very important part of this process - ask for a second opinion if you are not feeling comfortable. Please return and let us know what happens. Stacey

You're getting wonderful advice.

Two points about the ca125:
The normal range is up to 34. I had a score of 44 a few years ago with a fluid-filled cyst which disappeared on it's own over the next few months and the score dipped back to the normal
range. I didn't have ovarian cancer until a few years later.

Some women don't have the protein in their blood which rises with ovarian cancer, so they can have a stage 4 cancer with a normal ca125. They can have cancer in advanced stages and have a low or normal ca125.

Also, the higher the number doesn't indicate that there is necessarily more cancer present. Some women have readings in the hundreds, thousands, or even ten thousands. My sister was stage 3 with a ca125 of 166.

Thank you for you information. I am going today for my ultrasound. I also hope my results for the CA 125 are in today. I have had several people tell me they had this same scare in the past and that it was nothing. I am hoping that is my case. I am just trying get as much information as I can. I am also wondering how far do I go to make sure this is not cancer. I know the only deffinate way to tell is a byopsy. That is my thinking right now. I feel like I am on a ride of ups and downs. One minute I have a possitive out look on things then one minute that is all gone. Lots of prayers right now. What ever happens it is Gods will.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders