Nice diagram of referred pain

I ran across this blog on referred pain. It has a great diagram showing how pain in different areas can be traced to abdominal organs. I had a terrific pain in my left shoulder for six weeks before my recurrence was diagnosed -- apparently it was my ascites lapping against the diaphragm.
http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/10/referred-pain.html

Edited September 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

10 replies. Join the discussion

Very Interesting. Thanks for the post!

Yep, this is true. I can remember having terrible shoulder pain during the late stages of pregnancy...due to the baby pressing on my diaphram. I would have to sleep sitting up. Once I had the baby, the pain was gone...

Interesting. I awoke Monday night with intense pain in my left palm and my left foot. It lasted about 2 hours. I assumed it was from chemo affecting something in my body but have no idea what. The next morning it was gone. An accupuncturist or someone well-versed in deferred pain could probably tell me. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Borderline... very interesting article...

That's so interesting. I had horrible pain in my right shoulder and just thought it was the arthritis. But the first time they drained my abdomen from the ascites, the shoulder pain disappeared! Then when I filled up again with fluids, it came back. Thank goodness the ascites finally went away after 2 rounds of chemo and my shoulder has been so much better.

Really Interesting. Thank you so much for the post...

this is very interesting, you find the best stuff! count me as one who had shoulder pain prediagnosis.

don't want to hear that my right shoulder has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now.

Glad you posted this. I always wondered if anyone else with OC experienced pain in the shoulder as a symptom. I was diagnosed witn stage 3C in 2005. During the time I never remember experiencing much symptoms, it was just by chance my gyno felt something djring an exam. It wasn't until after my surgery and 1st few rounds of chemo that I noticed that a pain I was having in my shoulder for months finally went away. I had assumed the pain in my shoulder was due to a pulled muscle or something. I have had two occurances and each time I get that pain in my snoulder an in my side if I laugh or breath in deep. It is a way that I csn now tell pretty early on if someghing is wrong. I had been pretty lucky flr the padt two years- I had been on a Doxil that has been keeping me in check- it's been my saftey net. Now unfortunately since there is no Doxil to be found, my saftey has been yanked away. Now its back to the waiting game to see if the pakn in the shoulder returns again.

ppcnewbie, is it a pain you can touch? When my shoulder hurt I was sure I knew which muscle was in agony, but when I massaged that muscle the pain wasn't there.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders