My fight has ended

I am zircons' (Harriet Diamond) husband. I am sad to inform you all that Harriet died on Jan 6, cradled in my arms, after a valiant six and a half year battle with primary peritoneal ovarian cancer. Many of you have been very supportive of her many hospital admissions and chemo regimens; she has offered support to many of you, always trying to be optimistic and encouraging. She was a strong supporter of the theory that you must be your own advocate, ask questions and get answers that you can understand, and act on. No one knows how long you will live, or how soon you will die. Each of us is different, and each fight the illness differently. No one as yet has the absolutely perfect remedy for this illness.
I will sorely miss my helpmate and lover of fifty two years. I will, as a surviving spouse and retired surgeon, watch these discussions and may even comment from time to time. Eventually, this disease will be conquered. Meanwhile, keep fighting and live each day to its fullest.

140 replies. Join the discussion

I am so so sorry for you loss.....no words can make the pain lessen or go away.....I pray she is at peace now....and I know she is no longer in pain....but you are now in pain.....and a broken heart takes a long time to mend.....my prayers are with you and your family....blessings Mary

This is such sad news to get. She helped me and many, many others here. Harriet will be missed by all who knew her. Please remember her and all the good times you shared together.

Bob

Harriet was such a blessing to so many of us. She was one of the first to offer me support when I was dx two years ago. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am so grateful for Harriet's life and her wisdom. Thank you for letting us know. And thank you for your willingness to continue support of us. We're all in this together. Bee

I am so very sorry and can't imagine what you all have and are going through! Mt heart aches for you and my thoughts will be with you and your family! We are glad you will continue to be part of our community, Warrior Brother! HUGS!

I am so sorry. Zircons was such a valued member of this forum. It is wonderful that she had you by her side during all those years and that she had your arms to cradle her at the end. Well done.
It's good to know that you will still participate in this discussion board. Your experience as a surviving spouse and retired surgeon would bring most welcome insight.

Such a brave fighter she must have been to be willing to help others while doing battle with this disease herself. Your support kept her going through all this, I'm sure. She will be missed by this sisterhood in many ways. God bless you and your family, keep the good memories in your heart and live everyday knowing someone has benefited from her generous help on this site. You are a blessing to us, too, with such a willing heart to be there for the rest of us going through it. Take care of yourself now, it's your turn to be on the recieving end. Have a good day.

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you strength during this very difficult time. She will be missed.

Really sorry for that bad news. I am also husband of patient. My wife was diagnosed this Sept, so our fight just starts. Take good care of yourself. God bless you and your family.

Yong

I'm so sorry for your loss; but so happy she had you to walk this journey with. May she be resting in peace now.

I will miss her. She was kind and a good fighter.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Please come back to the group and help us when you can.

Thinking of you and all your family! x

Oh no! I don't know what else to say.....

My deepest and most heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. I always appreciated Harriet's optimism, encouragement and advice. She, at times, shared some of your wisdom also. I am glad you will stay involved with us on this site. My best to you, Natalie

I am so sorry for you loss. She was a valiant fighter and friend to many.

So sorry to hear this,prayers for your family.

I am so sorry for your loss! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

I am so sorry for your loss. Harriet was truly a great advocate and a supporter for many on this site. She surely helped me a lot with her advice and words of wisdom. I am so sad to hear this news. So many great ladies I know on here have passed away. May she RIP and may we some day defeat this horrible disease:(

Very sorry for your great loss and ours as well. She did all she could to fight ovca. I remember her last post in how she was feeling better. She fought to with advocacy in the Survivors teaching Students program. She will be missed and always remembered.

Shedding a few tears right now, I have read and took note of everything she had to say. She will be missed on this website. We have definitely lost alot of wonderful ladies fighting this battle, I pray for a cure...My sympathy to you and your family at this time.
Its wonderful to have a supportive mate during this time..

So sorry to hear of your loss. How blessed you were to have each other for over 50 years. She touched many people and will be sorely missed.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders