Muscle and joint pain after chemo

I'm 45 was 44 when I was diagnosed with stage 3C Ovarian cancer.
I did 6 chemo treatments with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin.
My last treatment was roughly mid Febuary. I really can't be sure but this pain in my joints and muscles some time, stiffness in knees hands and ankles. Seems as though it started at the last chemo treatment and is steadily getting worse. Anyone else have this or know something about it??

46 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Jennifer Lynn,
Wow. Why do these highly trained medical oncologists not tell their patients this. I thought I was getting major arthritis and all kinds of things. Your words are a breath of fresh air. Would you please share what you learn from this Dr. I'm already alternating B6 with B12. What else? I never realized the effects could last for 10years. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Marion

Just uncovered this article about joint pain post-chemo from the publication Cure Today:

http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.PrintArticle/article_ id/1802

If your onco shrugs his shoulders when you complain about joint pain, just print out this article and enlighten him.

Thank you CALuckygirl. I myself have not had hormone treatment or radiation, just chemo, so that has to be my culprit. I hope it goes away soon, 7 months out and my shoulders are still very sore. I wondered about the Vitamin D issue, and if I am low. Maybe my onc doc would agree to check my D levels if this keeps up. I'm taking one D3, 1000 mg, daily. But I admit I sometimes forget.

For those of you suffering from peripheral neuropathy, I'm surprised that your oncologist has not recommended L-Glutamine and B vitamins. I was given a handout, with information on what to take for peripheral neuropathy. (L-Glutamine is a powder. I was told to take 1 tsp. 3 x a day, with meals, along with vitamin B complex.) The L-Glutamine is expensive, but probably well worth it. My daughter-in-law has severe neuropathy in her hands and feet and if she stops taking the L-Glutamine she can barely walk. I order the L-Glutamine online from Puritan's Pride. If you want a copy of the oncologist's recommendations for neuropathy, contact me and I can scan it and email it to you.

sister, I had shoulder pain for almost a year after chemo before it went away. I did do three months of physical therapy but it still took another 7 months for it to disappear completely. My phys. therapist said I had rotator cuff impingement due to extreme inflammation. He said it was not unlike inflammation that results from a bad accident like being involved in a major car wreck. I'm 3+ years out from chemo, and I still have joint pain in my elbows, knees, hips, feet and hands, usually not all at once, but whichever one(s) I've over-used or under-used. It's a balancing act--my joints pay for too much activity or not enough activity. Arthritis and other auto-immune disorders were ruled out by a rheumatologist. Planning to check in with my primary soon, and I will have her run all the vitamin deficiency tests. Hope your joints heal soon.

I finished chemo in Oct 2010 and I still hurt all over. I went to my primary Dr today for severe leg pain and she gave me lyrica 50 mg to try...I hope it helps I've had just about enough! I will let ya'll know..Teal hugs♡

Dear luv Sunshine
I just recently lost my severe knee pain and tailbone pain . Chemo ended nov 2011. Still have neuropathy. There is hope. Yours has lasted longer. Lyrics might do the trick. Please let us know. Good luck!
Marion

I am so glad that someone posted on this. I have had terrible joint pain since my chemo ended in July. I have had arthritis in my knee and have been using my diclofenac to manage my joint pain affecting my hands, feet, and rest of my body. I actually feel worse off of chemo than I did on it! I take vit B6 daily, but I wonder if I should have continued the Glutamine. I was just so glad to be off of chemo, I didn't want to have to take anything that reminded me of it....

Now I have also added alpha lipoid acid 300mg daily, vit e, and vit d3. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I seem to do best when I am moving around.
Joan

Vasculitis .....it is not uncommon for it to erupt months after chemo. I am experiencing a mild case of it right now along with sudden eyebrow hair loss though it is already growing back. Vasculitis has an array of symptoms with joint/muscle pain being one of them. Don't panic or react to it. Stay away from inflammatory toxins such as caffeine, fluoride, chlorine, etc. and take ginger which is known to kill the ovarian cancer cell as well as work as a natural anti-inflammatory.

The chemo is as much of a beast if not more than the cancer. Don't feed it with stress.

The following is a MDs natural solution to coping with this:

•Eliminate cow's milk and cow's milk products (substitute other calcium sources)
•Eat more fruits and vegetables (make sure that they are organically grown)
•Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat
•Increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Take two to three grams of a molecularly distilled fish oil supplement each day
•Take anti-inflammatory herbs such as ginger and turmeric. Dr. Weil recommends unsweetened turmeric tea, as well as Zyflamend, a combination of ginger, turmeric, and other botanicals with anti-inflammatory properties.
•Consider taking grape seed extract, a source of powerful antioxidant compounds called OPCs (oligomeric proanthocyanidins). Research has shown these compounds to be useful in protecting blood vessels, making them more elastic and less likely to leak.

For great supplement sources to naturally manage the side effects of this disease and its "cures",, check out the website that I wrote. www.trishwish4u.com Look under the products tab for the sources of supplements.

I had posted earlier about having joint pain and stiffness, especially in my hips and legs, after finishing chemo treatments last February 2013. The stiffness began about April, and lasted over 7 months. My docs gave me no reasons for it and no help. Well as of last week it has left me so I wanted to share my experience with you!

I had shoulder pain, shoulder impingement, ended up with a frozen shoulder last month. With all that pain I started taking Aleve twice a day and after four weeks of Aleve my stiffness is gone. I don't know if that is why, but I am tickled. I'm still working on getting my shoulder pain and frozen shoulder back in shape, had a cortisone shot a week ago, but it feels wonderful to be able to get up after sitting for an hour and not be all stiffened up like an elderly person. I wonder if it will come back again after I quit taking the Aleve.

If I'd known Aleve would make that stiffness go away I would have taken it months ago. Hope this can help someone else. I also want to say the Aleve has made me constipated, oh well!

Everyone reacts differently upon having chemo. When I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, I already had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. The chemo simply made it worse. I have neuropathy in my hands and feet. I just had a nerve conduction study done to see if there was something else causing all the pain, difficulty in walking and using my hands to hold or pick things up. The study results indicated that all of the above was due to the chemo treatments I went through. I've been through with the chemo for 5 years and, unfortunately, the pain and neuropathy continues. Of course, this doesn't mean that you will have the same problem. I started out with medical issues, the chemo simply didn't help. I deal with the pain and difficulty every day but being free of the cancer is worth the cost. My original pain started with injuries while in the military, so I've learned to live with chronic pain and other difficulties for a long time. I now take a variety of medications to help and stay as active as I can. I learned that when the pain is great, my body will tell me to take it easy. Pushing it won't work. Listen to what your body is telling you, not family, friends, doctors, or anyone else who thinks that because your finished with surgery/chemo, that you should be able to do everything you use to. In time, you may very well be able to. I just want to say that if you don't give up and let these problems beat you, you can live a quality life. Hopefully, yours will diminish over time. Good luck, God Bless, and may you have a long, happy, cancer free life.

Aches and pains gradually went away after 2 1/2 years. it is 3 years now and despite lymphodema in legs I am feeling really good, touch wood. Walk, swim and ride bike all along and that helped. Just pushed through. Cod liver oil capsule daily. Finally made and effort and lost the few extra kilos I needed to lose as prior to diagnosis had unexplained weight loss and then became nervous re getting back to desired weight. It feels good to get back into my old clothes ( and get some new ones) and also having to cart around the extra must help reduce the aches.

I am amazed how well qigong is helping my joint pain. Also no one mentioned alpha lipoic acid supplement. One more thing seems to help me this time, a tart cherry juice concentrate I found at the health food store. You take it at night and it also promotes restful sleep, plus you are getting another nice big glass of water which is so vital to keep flushing the chemo out.

Well, the lyrcia hasn't helped so I'm not taking it anymore. I'm not sure what to do...Hugs to you all♡

I have joint pain also in my legs and arms are numb. My primary care doctor prescribe Lyrica

Complaining on and off about left arm pains and finally it was xrayed. Okay, I was told more like arthritis. Ladies were asking the wrong doctors about our pains. This appears to be out of their field of expertise. I also do not appreciate being told of my bigger problem. (Cancer). We know about the cancer and would appreciate having anything that concerns us addressed . We are treating the whole body I would hope. Best wishes to you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I was on Lyrica at first but had side-effects, especially weight gain. My doctor switched me to Cymbalta. Works pretty good and don't have the side-effects. I started out on 30mgs, then upped it to 60mgs. It can be increased if necessary. Still have pain but before I could start Cymbalta, I had to stop the Lyrica. The pain was intense during those weeks. Once on the Cymbalta, the pain level decreased - which told me it was working. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something that will help. Tai Chi is also great for helping keep the joints limber without being stressed. Light weight-lifting and, if possible, walking at an easy pace is also good.

I am so happy to hear so many responses regarding natural minerals and supplements. I get really scared when someone who has been through chemo (clearly way too many prescription drugs in the body) wants to take more prescription drugs. I know the joint pain as I have it throughout my whole body. I am in physical therapy, receiving acupuncture and am managing my pain with food and supplements. What our bodies now need even more than ever is a "cleaning of house." So all the suggestions on water, juice (good stuff, not the sugar stuff from concentrate found in main stream grocery stores), ginger, turmeric, etc. are awesome. My life got much better when I started taking Carlson's Fish Oil capsules, two in morning and two at night. Make sure you take them with food as they are fat soluble. I do take Vitamin B Complex, vitamin E and a capsule called Mobili-T by Life Seasons. It contains Collagen TypeII, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and Turmeric. I feel as though all of this is helping. I am hoping as many of you are that the pain starts to decrease and I can resume doing some of the things I used to do. Also if there is any possible way for you to start Yoga, it is highly suggested. Good luck to us all!!!

JenniferLynn802 I hope you share your results with us. I am 4 months out of chemo, Taxol and Carboplatin. I have been experiencing the neuropathy since the second round, but the joint pain has just started in the last few days. It is quite painful at times, and I just try to keep moving. I don't want to put anymore drugs into my body, so am trying to find a combination of vitamins and herbs to use. If anyone has suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Royanne I have been having great results with the combination of vitamins and supplements I have stated in my previous post. Also for energy my acupuncturist has put me on this liquid supplement (one dropper full twice daily) and I feel like I have so much more energy. It's a Myco Herb called Fu Zheng Support Formula. It's a mix of several types of roots and mushrooms. It's very earthy smelling and tasting, but mixed with water or even coffee and I don't think it's that bad.
With all the things I have been doing, I know that I am getting much better. The only parts that ache bad in the morning now are my feet.
Just a little summary I too was 3C and had Taxol and Carboplatin. My treatment was once a week for 18 weeks. Started 4/1/2013 and ended (after skipping a few doses due to low counts) August 10, 2013.
My pains and aches and stiffness started just before ending and progressively worsend over the course of 3-5 weeks. They had gotten to the point of me feeling like an 90 year old woman upon getting up from any sitting position. But I am happy to say the I am certainly on the major upswing now.
I anticipate another major jump once I meet with the doctor I see for nutrition. As all the pain is a result of inflamation, and through diet you can reduce your body inflamation. I did a program with this doctor's office (an associate in his office) last fall (before diagnosis) and rid my body of inflamation to the tune of several inches of measure on every part of my body and felt amazing! It's just hard to get an appointment with the main doctor as he sees people from all over the country and also from other countries. So my appointment is December 19th and I can't wait!!!!
I will keep all informed once I see him.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders