mouth sores with chemo

I have only been on the site for a short time so this may have been discussed already. My best friend had chemo 10 years ago and she was advised to drink 3 oz. of Aloe Vera juice mixed with a juice of her choice each morning. She never had an issue with mouth dryness or sores. I am doing the same thing. I started drinking it a week before I started chemo and my mouth is perfectly fine. My oncologist said it was not a bad idea, even though he does not make recommendations on holistic medicine, to many variations. He told me to try it and see if it works, it has. I have read some literature about the mouth soreness and some say it is the worst part of chemo. If this helps one person it will be worth getting it out there. Debbie

10 replies. Join the discussion

thank you thank you, my mouth hurts like crazy and I have a aloe leaf in my frig...sitting there

Thanks for the tip. I begin chemo in two weeks and I want to be prepared for anything that comes my way.

I had also heard about swishing out the mouth with baking soda and salt or using the l Glutamine mixed in water.

I went to my dentist last week and he has just finished chemo. He told me to use Biotin products for dry mouth. The products consist of toothpaste, mouth wash, gum, and an oral jell to apply to the inside of the mouth.

I never had any mouth sores with Carbo/Taxol, but I've heard that other chemo agents can cause them including doxil.

I began to develop oral thrush about four days after each infusion, following my third infusion. There are meds for this, but you need to avoid sugar, so keep this in mind if you are drinking juice drinks. It starts with a feeling like a sore throat; then the changes show up on your tongue.

I also had mouth sores and after my first round of chemo was finished I went for a dental cleaning and check up. The dentist asked me what I did for the mouth sores and I told him I rinsed my mouth with warm salt water; he said in the future to call him and he will give me a prescription for a mouth rinse that takes care of the sores.
If the aloe doesn't work, call your dentist. take care.

Ladies, ask your oncologist to call in a prescription for you for Magic Mouthwash. PERFECT and works everytime. I am currently on Alimta which causes the sores the day after chemo so took this morning and great. But other drugs I have had in the past required ths Magic Mouthwash and had the same luck.

I agree with Songbird49. Magic mouthwash (or xyloxylin as they call it at MD Anderson) works great. It is liquid mixture of lidocaine (xylocaine), diphenhydramine (benadryl), and antacid (maalox). Tastes pretty bad, but it numbs your mouth and throat..

I am currently using it for my esophagitis (caused by radiation) and now I can swallow my food without pain.

Hi,
I was recommended the Bioten products by my dentist as well. I use the toothpaste, sometimes. I found with the aloe I didn't need all the other stuff. good luck

i got an RX from my oncologist called :magic mouthwash" I can give you the correct name for it if you need. it worked on my mouthsores big time.. and quickly!!!

xoxo

Hi,
My oncologist told me he would give me a prescription if I needed it. But, I think the aloe is doing the trick. I notice my tastes have changed, I cannot drink cabonated bev ( which I should not anyhow) and even acidic foods are off limits. Aloe is natural and I did not want one more drug in my system. the chemo drugs, Cumodin, Xanex, steroids, Benedryl and who knows what else they give me before chemo. I was just giving a natural alternative. I would never go the natural route like drinking carrot juice and other concoctions hoping it would wash me cancer out. But something natural here and there has to be a good thing. I look at the pictures of your girls with no hair and I did not post one of me like that. I don't mind being bald as much as I mind being bloated, I just don't look like me.
Thanks for the post, we will all get through this.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders