Metastatic Adenocarcinoma

Hi There,

I had an endometrium cancer and with Ascites in my abdomen. the analysis revealed that there were Metastatic Adenocarcinoma .

I started a treatment based on carboplatin and taxol. have have done 5 sessions so far and the last one is schedule at the end of the month. To drain ascites, a drain was inserted in my abdomen. The liquid went from 2 l per day to 0.5l every 3 weeks. finally, the drain was removed last week and the ascites removed again for testing and it revealed the same result: Metastatic Adenocarcinoma .

should I be worry? how do i measure the effectiveness of my treatment?

Please help.

Regards

"together, we will survive"

18 replies. Join the discussion

The chemo has not removed the ascites? Do you have the addition of Avastin with the carbo/taxol?
I had carbo/taxol/avastin and it got rid of whatever they couldn't drain. Now I am just on Avastin
maintenance. What is your CA125?
Hearts

Thanks a lot for your message.
The ascites are significantly manageable now. Just that its going out from the hole the drain was inserted and its very uncomfortable. I will suggest Avastin to my doctor. what type of cancer did you have? the Doctor will probably check the CA125 and I will let you know.

Regards

Gayap

Have you had surgery?

I think Avastin is good- what did you physician say- Also just a piece of advice if you have a ascites and you can save some for future vaccines- go ahead- a friend of mine had so many cancer cells stored form ascites then she qualified for a vaccine trial
good luck

gayap, my doctor says if the ascites goes down, that means the chemo is working. But I'm sorry they still see cancer cells in the fluid. How are you feeling?

Thanks for your response.

I had surgery to remove the uterus ( tolal) few months back. thereafter, a small procedure to insert the drain that will assist the ascites removal.

Thanks

Hi There,

I was worry at the beginning but I just realized that, because ascites is cause by the cancer, there will always be malignant cells in the liquid and the best scenario is not to produce ascites.

my new concern is that the liquid was yellowwish at the beginning and not it content blood. is it normal after 5 chemos? I am confused. please share your experience if you had similar experience? i am so worry

Gayap...they diagnosed my type of cancer through the fluid before I even had
Chemo. Stage IIIc high grade serous adenocarcinoma so if I were u I
Wouldn't worry about the fluid showing that cause it's typical....
Your ca125 should tell u if chemo is working and have u been
Debulked? If u haven't n are going to be u may find your cancer
Gone from chemo as mine was!
Hearts

Hi there,

Thanks for your kind message.

What is Debulking? I have one more session to go and will keep you posted.

regards
gayap

Dear friends,

I had a result of my CT scan to day and the summary results are:

1- No evidence of metastases to solid organs, lungs and bones
2-presence of extensive ascites with presence of soft tissues consistent with peritoneal deposit in the pelvis and abdomen
3- left pleural effusion measuring simple fluid =/- 8 Hounsfield unit
4- insignificant para aortic and aliac nodes growth from previous scan.

After completing my first cycle of carbo-taxol, i was expected the nodes to shrink and the ascites to go. I may say that the ascites have reduced significantly.

May anyone share his experience on the above mentioned points?

With Thanks and regards

Gayap

Gayap, it's my understanding the ascites can persist if your albumen and protein are low. Ask your doctors about focusing on more high-quality, clean protein (there are some whey products you can down quite easily in smoothies or other drinks) and keeping a close watch on your metabolic panel might help, especially in your recovery from chemo.

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Is it advisable to consume protein shake? I will be seeing him next week.

Regards
Gayap

Gayap, it really sounds like you had a pretty good response to the chemo. I think you can be glad of that. What does the doctor plan to do next? I drink protein shakes -- my doctors want me to get plenty of protein, and my appetite isn't very good, so the shakes make it easier on me.

Hello,

Thanks a lot. The Doctor will interpret the CT scan and let me know. it will determine the way forward. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Gayap

Hi

I hope you are well. my doctor put me on Depot Provera for 3 months. my CT scan looks clean, but my stomach is still too hard. I suppose its still ascites. What nearly broke my heart today is that I just do two tests and the results seams to be out of range:

CA 125 is 60 and it was 23 three weeks back
CA 153 is 655.

I am so confused. Did any one had similar results before?

I have decided to use a different lab to cross check results.

May God blessed all of you.

Gayap

Are you saying that your CA 125 hasn't changed from 23 weeks ago?
And as to your test results--- said the nodes were insignificant of change---soooo
what did the original show? That it was in your nodes? aortic and illiac?
Good no other organs are involved.
They don't know what ascites comes from is what my gyn/onc told me but I
just can't understand why you still have it....chemo should have dried it up.
Ask your onc.
Best
Hearts

Hi there,

Thanks for your message. I mean the CA 125 was 23 when i last checked on the 12th of December. it is now 60 less than 10 days after.
The Nodes called aortic and iliac have increased a little bit.

Thanks

Gayap

Dear Friends,

Happy new year. May 2013 give wisdom to our doctors to completely stop this beast on us. After my 6 cycles of carbo/taxol, I was under the impression that all was over. my ascites is building up but slowly. I am back to a point where i cannot walk for 200 m, my heart is beating so fast. Not to mention my adbomen that is distanced and swollen.
I still have hope that all will be resolved. I was even thinking paying a visit to an homeopath.
That is all for now, stay blessed.

Regards
Gayap

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders