Low thyroid

Anybody else here with a history of low thyroid, subnormal temperature, etc.? I keep reading that there may be a connection between low thyroid function and ovarian cancer.

12 replies. Join the discussion

I too have a low temperature 97.6 is a norm for me. I am on thyroid med. I have stage 2 ovca. I haven't heard of the connection but I will look into that. Thanks

I too have a low temperature 97.6 is a norm for me. I am on thyroid med. I have stage 2 ovca. I haven't heard of the connection but I will look into that. Thanks

hi
l'm just being tested for low thyroid as a reason why my CA125 is coming down so slowly!!!
Lucky

I am stage 2 b and 6 months later I had an under active thyroid and was put on med. but I don't know about my temp I never checked. I have been in remission since 2/2008. However in addition to my thyroid I also developed a goiter on my thyroid they have ultra sound it but not change there hope is that meds take it away. I get recheck for the thyroid in July 2010 they are going to do another ultra sound.

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism or low thyroid function. My temperature tends to run low, about 97.8 to 98.2 and my hands and feet are cold most of the time. I can use my hands as ice packs sometimes! My temp went up to 99.8 a couple of days ago with high blood pressure, the nurse said I probably had a bug and low grade fever. For me, that is a fever.

I think a lot of the health problems women have after ovarian cancer, or any cancer can be linked to the chemotherapy. The doctors will generally deny any connection, but I know my body very well, and can say, I didn't have any of these problems before ovca!

I am constantly researching these possible links.

Stay strong!

Angel

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago, another one my doctor did not know. i took my daughter to a gyn when she was 16 and that doctor noticed that my thyroid gland was huge, my doctor acted like it was no big deal, it is not compared to cancer, but now I am wondering if it is connected. My hands and feet and always cold most of the time and my temp is most times below 98.6. After surgery my thyroid medicine was adjusted to a higher does.

If any one knows if this is linked together I would love to know

Thanks

I have several symptoms of hypothyroidism including low body temperature (in the a.m. it's always somewhere around 96), but no one ever officially diagnosed me. Regular bloodwork comes back normal but my understanding is that thyroid disease does not always show up in the routine bloodwork. I finally had a more thorough work up last week - will find out the results Thursday.

Hypothyroid here too...my hands and feet have always been cold... officially diagnosed after the birth of my 2nd child...After a PET or CT someone (MD or Onc) mentioned in passing that my thyroid is continuing to die....as if this was no big deal....at the time I was in the thick of ivip so really didn't have the energy to follow up....but I do believe there is a connection between thyroid function and ovca as well....Pleeease share what you find....

Been on thyroid meds for years prior to OC. Also have low temp, cold hands and feet.
I think it is interesting that a couple of other women in my OC group have thyroid "issues" as well.......one got thyroid cancer after OC, and the other woman has some weird stuff going on with her thyroid that docs have had a hard time figuring out. They finally did rule out thyroid cancer but have told her she is a "mystery."
Jeanie

I was dx hypothyroid 56 yrs ago at age 8, so I've had subnorm temp and icy hands and feet for a long time =-)
I wish I could remember where I read that. It is an interesting possible link. Maybe it was in an article about hyperthermia therapy, where they raise your body temp to kill the cancer cells?

Dear lucky4, you just may be on to something so please keep posted. I had an MRI OCT2008 after my OVCA surgery (stage 4) because something showed up in a scan at the hospital and I had a sister die of thyroid cancer 14years earlier at the same age as I was then. It showed nodules on each side and they are 2cm each. I have had them long before cancer I am sure as I am a former singer and had to stop because of the changes in my voice pitching and not into going to the docs (hard lesson learned) anyway right now in my life I cannot have them removed and have not had a biopsy to discover cancerous or not. I am on Avastin since Aug09 and one of those side effect is the same thing but with what I already had my voice is always either Elmo or raspy sexty thing (ha ha) but my fears are still there and if I was not so full of cancer still in my 17 months of chemo since then I decided they were not cancerous. However my CA125 in Sept dropped to 153 from 4 digits with the add of Avastin. A few months ago it rose steadily to 900 and with a change of chemo to Gemzar has slowly lately started to drop. I have to have a new port put in at the end of this month so will have to go off Avastin for 30 days and at that same timing I am planning a biospy. I am so glad all of you were on this site today talking about thyroid. I don't think there is a connection in "getting" thyroid problems but perhaps when you already have cancer there is another place for it to go. Thanks, Ellen

Hi Songbird
An interesting read....my Onc is also cheking my B12 as l seem to have used up the store of that as well. So in two weeks l should have the results......got to wait all this time as it's Easter and all the day clinic's close and my Onc is on holiday.
l know Docs need holidays but l don't know if it's a co-inident but it always seems to be when l need an urgent decision !!!!!!! he! he!
Lucky

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders