Long term fatigue after chemo

I had my last chemo (carbo/taxol) a year ago and I still feel almost constant fatigue - very low energy - even after a good night's sleep. Is this a common, continuing side effect of chemo?

26 replies. Join the discussion

Wow! I'm feeling the exact same way! I'm trying it all......vitamins, working out, sleeping, trying to eat better!!! I have been done with chemo since the end of July, and there are days that I wake up and feel like I was hit by a bus! Not the short bus either. I can go for a day or two, but then I'm completely zapped!

I had the same cocktail of chemo! Shaken not stirred...

I wonder if part of it could also be hormonal/menopausal. I had chemo 4 years ago and while I recovered fairly quickly and was back to work full-time after a month, things have never been the same than before chemo.

Put me in this group too--almost a year out from carbo/taxol and when fatigue hits, it's like nothing I ever had before chemo.

Me too. Six months since my last treatment. I thought I'd be more energetic by now but I run out of steam almost every day by mid afternoon.

Unfortunately, I am in this category also....finished chemo in April of '09.

I push myself to have more energy...even contemplating working full time but I don't see how
I can do this because I am exhausted after working less than 20 hours a week....I too take supplements try to exercise and sleep as much as I can....

Hoping that I can build back my strength...

Count me in as well. I am a year from Rx and still feel the effects described. In addition, my hair takes coloring differently. When I have the tips lightened, the entire shaft of hair soaks up the color, go figure!!!

It's been four months since my last treatment (same stuff), and I'm starting to feel like I might come out of it. Even so, I may feel better during a given day, but still tire easily. Something I used to do regularly now seems like a big effort. I've heard this can last more than a year, and some say we are never quite the same. I know my fingertips are still numb, and I kind of expect they always will be. I drop things a lot -- and now I'm too tired to pick them up!!!!

Have your blood counts returned to normal? I've not had any problem with fatigue, but my wbc counts were still below normal 4 months after my last chemo. Also developed low blood sugar, and not sure where that came from.

Chemo knocks the hell out of you and it takes a very long time, if ever, to get back to normal. It's not uncommon. Still, I'm sure your doctor checks your blood to be sure the levels are all in the right place and that nothing else is going on. When I think about all the energy I had and the running around I did before all this started, I wonder if it's the same person!

Be good to yourself and try some pampering on a regular basis. Can't hurt.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I work full time but I feel like I'm running a marathon every week and at the end of the week I collapse.

My blood counts never went far from normal - and they've been fine every time they've been checked, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm with all of you. I had my last Chemo May 09 and I feel better, but not the same. I find as the day gets later I start going down in energy. I thought well it's the weight and my age.I know now it's the Chemo side affect. I still have numbness and tingling in feet and hands. I hope it goes away. I also found that the colder it is outside I feel worse. It affects the circulation. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. This site is so wonderful!!!

Prior to my new "cocktail" in Nov. I was still fatigued 7 months after my last chemo. By the afternoon I was ready for a nap whether I had a good night sleep or not.

I am sorry to say that I can not remember the actual time frame of returning to some sort of normalcy after surgery and chemo but I will try. My MIL works in a hospital and mentioned that from my hysterectomy which took 5 1/2 + hours would take a year or more to try and fully recover but then on top of that we added the chemo. I believe it is something like a month for every treatment you have, but not positive. So in my case I had a total of 14 treatments of chemo that would take 14 months. The part I am not sure is if that would be added on to the surgery time so it would be like 2 1/2 years or if that would include the surgery time. Then again I could just be confused with a fogged in brain! Prayers & Hugs to all of you!

I think the amazing thing is our bodies keep functioning at all after the stuff we are doing to it. I have lots of respect for people who can work full time. I don't think I could do that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I haven't had chemo in over 8 years and I still suffer from extreme fatigue. Mostly after a day of working or being very active. It takes me almost another day to recover. My blood counts are all good but I have never been able to build my stamima up to where it was before ovarian cancer. But I am still here with all of you and I'm not going to complain. When I'm tired, I just rest.....
Bettyboop

I have good days and bad days. I thought it was because have been fighting a sinus infections since the end of November. I am now on an antibiotic. I was hoping that would get by energy level totally back to normal. (I am not sure I remember what normal is since one of my symptoms was being tired before surgery.) So I will let you know how it goes. I was hoping that my life would get back to normal....I must say I am glad to feel better than I did during chemo!

I am the same way, last chemo of carbo/taxol was in August, and just have no energy, a lot of joint and muscle pain. I am seeing a symptom management doc tomorrow, and will see what he says.

Purple

I am the same way, last chemo of carbo/taxol was in August, and just have no energy, a lot of joint and muscle pain. I am seeing a symptom management doc tomorrow, and will see what he says.

Purple

My last chemo was 19 Oct 09. I too have many ups and downs. some days I hurt all oer and am completely worn out. others I feel almost like my old self.

I'm suspecting that many of us posting are over 50. Most everyone starts having less energy as they age even if they hadn't had cancer and chemo. And not having estrogen on board anymore makes a huge difference in how we feel.

Hang in there...it should get better the longer out you are from chemo. Make sure to soak in some sunshine to elevate your mood and that should also make you feel less tired.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders