Liposomal Glutathione?

I recently started seeing a local naturopathic doctor and she wants me to take 1 tsp of liposomal glutathione (mixed in water) 10 minutes before eating my breakfast every morning. My research skills are not great but somehow I remember reading on this forum that this was something I should be cautious about? Does anybody have any opinion to offer? My CA125 is going up so I am trying to scrutinize everything I am doing very carefully!

Thanks so much,

Cindy

12 replies. Join the discussion

Cindy,
Did your naturopath attend the naturopathic conference in Phoenix last month? There was a topic of discussion about the GSTM1 mutation that makes the carrier's body unable to produce glutathione. Another issue related to this genetic mutation is that the body cannot use the glutathione either. 85% of people who develop cancer have this mutation, so the glutatione your naturopath is suggesting may be serving no purpose. The solution is to take sulforaphane supplements made from broccoli extract.

Thanks so much Tethys42. I will definitely bring this to her attention. I do eat broccoli sprouts every day - any chance that could help at all?

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

The problem with controlling diet to battle cancer is that oftentimes we cannot possibly take enough in (of the crucial substance) to make a real difference, hence the supplements. Think how much chemo is delivered in one bag!!!

I am facing recurrence with a rising CA125 and clean scans. I have seen a naturopath for over a year and when in remission I was doing the magic list of supplements they recommended. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. Maybe I would have recurred sooner without it, we just don't know.

Now that I am facing recurrence I have asked to do the Iscador injections. But my naturopath recommended that I also do IV Artemisian and that another element be mixed in that IV bag. I choose to do IV VIt C but she offered glutathione. I won't do the glutathione because there is some controversy about it...In the end everyone is guessing but since I am holding off on traditional chemo I want to try something just in case....

Cindy,
As Rabbitgirl says, it probably isn't enough. But it doesn't hurt!

There are mixed opinions regarding glutathione and whether it strengthens the immune system or fuels cancer.

Rabbitgal: I was in your shoes last year & dragged my feet getting back on chemo. I went to a clinic in Mexico for IV vitamin C, Laetrile IPT chemo & stem cell therapy. Nothing stopped my CA-125 from rising or disease from progressing. I had no ascites or other symptoms so I put off chemo looking for a clinical trial with a targeted therapy. As it turned out, the "biologic therapy" (stem cell therapy) that I had in Mexico has made me ineligible for all GOG clinical trials. I did more IV vitamin C therapy & a lot of other alternative treatments including IPT chemo--nothing stopped the cancer from progressing. I really believed that I could stop the cancer without chemo and I was wrong.

My advice is to use the integrative approach. If your oncologist has a chemo plan for you, get back on chemo sooner rather than later. Use the alternative treatments to protect yourself from chemo toxicity.

I really, really HATE having to resort to chemo; yet that's what it takes to stop my disease from progressing. Maybe you have to wait til something shows up on a scan--CT scans are not as helpful as PET/CT scans for finding early recurrence.

Rozetta: glutathione protects the body from chemo toxicity AND protects cancer from being killed by cancer. The same discussion was going around about folic acid (a lot feeds cancer; too little encourages healthy cell to mutate).

There is controversy about whether or not oral glutathione is utilized at all. Maybe that's why somebody came up with a liposomal glutathione. Taking oral selenium (200mcg/day) is one approach to increasing the endogenous production of glutathione.

The sulforaphane from cruciferous veggies option makes a lot of sense--that phytonutrient is necessary for phase II liver detoxification & supports the metabolism of estrogen. I would skip the oral glutathione & use my money elsewhere.

Laundryqueen, It's true glutathione is not bioavailable. If you take it you're wasting your $. The best way to raise is to take N-acytlcysteine. I'm not sure which a better option, but maybe glutamine is. There is a good amount of evidence it does not fuel cancer, because cancer cells not only use a huge amt of energy, but also waste most of it so adding food doesn't amount to increased use, but does increase killer cells. I'll post a few studies separately. (coincidence - that was my plan when I logged on tofind this thread.)

LaundryQueen--
Your experience with the cancer stem cells in Mexico is chilling and worthy of a separate post. I never in a million years would have thought that would affect all clinicall trial eligibility. Wow.

Linda

Sealinda: well, not ALL clinical trials, just the ones with the Gynecologic Oncology Group (who set up most of the clinical trials for ovarian cancer). I suppose that I could still get into some of the phase I trials for solid tumors...but those are usually for people who are COMPLETELY out of options!

The lesson for me was that maybe "full disclosure" wasn't always in my best interest. If the stem cell therapy was effective, would I even be looking for a clinical trial?!

What is really interesting is that there's no problem with being eligible for a GOG clinical trial if you had some kind of biological therapy as part of the initial treatment for ovarian cancer. But having biological therapy for recurrent or progression of disease was listed in the exclusion criteria for all of the GOG clinical trials. What's up with that?

LaundryQueen, I find clinical trials very annoying too. Their rules seem completely arbitrary and often make no sense. I agree with your full disclosure assessment.

If you can control your records you can control full disclosure, otherwise you are sunk. Honestly, I have seen enough shenanigans with the clinical trial I was on they are not scientifically pure anyway. I am sorry to say that, but the way they bent the rules to keep women in made me wonder at any results... it was an Avastin trial by the way.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders