joint pain

I finished my last chemo treatment, carbo/taxol in March, my doc said I needed 7 treatments instead of 6 due to my CA 125 not leveling out. Does anybody have joint pain like someone hit them with a hammer? I can hardly walk in the morning due to my joint pain-my new nickname is Grandma Lee, I was 49 when I was diagnosed with OC, staged IIIC, had two surgeries, one in August of 09, then again on Sept 09, first doctor was not an onocologist. I have started taking fish oil, flaxseed oil for joint pain. Thanks

34 replies. Join the discussion

Tell me about it. Every time I get up I have to hobble along for awhile, then I'm fine. I never expected to feel so old while I'm still so young.

yes I have joint and I just finished my third treatment, I try to walk it off.

I can't speak from my own experience, but the joint pain was probably mom's most bothersome side effect to the carbo/taxol. She was also 49 when first diagnosed. Mom was also quite a bit overweight so that may have contributed to her problems. I remember when she went into remission the first time, it took a while, but her legs finally started working normally again.

Hi! There congrats on finishing chemo!
YES I had joint pain during chemo and after. (I need a rollator to walk.) It actually got worse after chemo cycles finished. Still have it now! Especially hips. I was 39 Clear cell 1b 2 ops and finished chemo (carbo/taxol) at the end of Oct 09.
When I get up in the morning I am in agony and walk like an old lady! Hips and knees and left shoulder OH MY Word!!!! Also my feet BURN! All improve during day but pain doesn't go away completely. I take ibprophen or nurophen. My onco said hips are arthritis brought on by chemo. (Also I was swimming coz keeps joints moving without weight bearing IT IS GREAT- just can't do frog kick. If want to know more then read my earlier journals.) Just want you to know you are not alone. Mine did get progressively worse once chemo finished and I started to get really depressed about it but it is getting better now. (I still need a walker/rollator but only for longer walks now.) Hang in there and keep moving! It might not go away but It DOES get better!!! At least mine did, it just takes time. Ursh

I also had some joint pain, and early arthritis symptoms in two fingers. Started taking glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements, with my PCP's blessing. The traditional medical community now suggests this as a first treatment for arthritis, before trying any prescription meds. After a few months things were noticeably improved for me. I've been on this for over two years, and have had no joint issues for quite some time.

Before I was diagnosed in July 09 with stage IIIC I had psoriatic arthritis on IV treatment. When Chemo started I had to go off my treatment for the arthritis. During chemo I had no arthritis symptoms to mention, but now since I have been off the chemo I am in agony. I did not want to start back on the IV therapy and put more toxic crap in my body so I opted for another drug called methotrexate which actually is a chemotherapy drug. I am getting worse and can hardly function. My feet, ankles, knees and hands are horrible. I thought it was the arthritis but may be it is also the side effects of the chemo. I have appt with my oncologist on Monday and will ask him. I cannot believe that I battled cancer and won that fight now I have to deal with this too. Thanks for the post or I would not have known to ask if this is a side effect.

Yes, among other things, joint pain is a side effect of chemo.. I 've been going to get accupuncture, and that has seemed to help me. I will only take Aleve or Tylenol, no more drugs for me. I find that Yoga helps too... I still have some pain in my hips, but I try to ignore and walk as much as possible. I had cortisone shots in my hands because they were so bad, and that did help.. Hang in there it gets better with time.

Hi,
I also had joint pains. I have been taking L Glutamine on a daily basis. It has really helped. Good luck!

Lisa

Carbo/Taxol was my first line chemo and the worst. The joint pain was so bad at times I could hardly stand, much less walk. I've not had as severe pain with subsequent chemos. I have occassional hip joint discomfort but it is tolerable. Congrats on getting through chemo, your pain should start going away....give it time

I was so bad after I finished with chemo along with Avastin I could barely walk. I went to a rheaumatologist (sorry spelling) and she wanted to put me on a medicine that could cause cancer (can you believe it) so I went to a nutritionist and I started taking Turmeric it is to help inflamation not just in your joints but MD ANderson is using it in research to see if it will help cancer patients. I take it twice a day you can get it at any Vitamin Store. It took about two weeks but I can actually walk my dog now where before I could barely get out of my chair. Hope this helps. Oh the arthritis doctor did give me an anti-inflamatory drug but I did not take that to much cause it causes high blood pressure. when I went to the nutritionist she started me on a couple of different supplements and I am going back this week. CIndy

My hips are the worst. Mornings are terrible, but I find if I swim laps in the evening I feel better in the morning, I mean really a lot better. Otherwise I hobble around for the first half of the day. I refuse to let it keep me in bed, I have a life and will not let this stop me. So I swim, try it it may work for you. I try not to take any narcotic pain meds unless at night I wake from the pain. We need to sleep or we will feel worse. Hope you find something that helps :) Oh and I was given Meloxicam for the joint pain, it is a medicine they use for RA. It is something that I take daily, it is an anti-inflammatory.

Oh yeah, I am also taking curcurmin with bioperine that many of you on this site (and Dr. Oz) have suggested, as well as N-acetyl cystine (NAC) which my chiropractor suggested as an anti-inflammatory. Plus yoga and exercise. Last week was my first full week in nearly a year to NOT be on some type of chemo/drug and have passed the washout period. I forgot how goo that could feel. Maybe some of it these extra supplements I've added into my mix.

Some of you mentioned how the joint pain got worse following chemo and the reason for that is probably the amounts of steroids we take along with the chemo keeping the inflammation in our joints down.

Thanks for all of the encouragement!!!!! I can not even make a fist in the morning for my joint pain in my fingers. The more I try to exercise the worse the pain gets, and as the day wears on, I can hardly walk. I am going to get all of the supplements everyone has mentioned. I was an avid exerciser prior to being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. It has really played a nasty trick on my psyche, since I can not even walk. With God's help and grace, I pray daily that I stay strong and beat this nasty beast. It was a blessing how I found this website. Thanks to all

Hi ,
I just finished my 6 th chemo on March 25 .
I had lower back pain for the last 10 days , but it is getting better .
I also had problems with my knees - That pain is gone now .
I also have the chemo brain and I hope that this will go away soon.
I wish you all the best .

I finished my second round of Tacol/Carbo iat the end of Oct 09. with a total of 12 treatments to date. My joint and Bone pain still exists when I get a lot of exercise. Most of the time it is OK with Ibupropen or Loratab. I just hope I have a longer remission this time (Last time it was 17 months). The pain comes with the territory I guess.
Shirley

I have been seeing an accuppressurist for the aches and pains. I compete with my dogs in agility and I could barely get out of bed to walk. After 2 months of the accuppressuere treatment, I have been more competitive and my dog is doing better in 3 months of competitions verses 12 months of all last year. I see her every 2 or 3 weeks. The first time she worked on me, I was in tears as I felt reborn and able to work without pain.

Just a word of advise....always discuss any vitamins, supplements etc with your onc before you start taking them. It is important that they are aware of anything you are taking and suprisingly, there are many things that you might think are ok to take(including vitamins) that you shouldn't use while on chemo.

l-Glutamine made HUGE difference for me with the after chemo joint pain-I wish I had taken it all the way through. I can't recommend it strongly enough. I remember it started helping fairly quickly too, maybe within a week...

I have been told that the joint pain or bone pain is actually caused by the Neulasta shot you get the day after treatment. The Neulasta is a white blood cell booster that gets into your bone marrow to support your natural defenses and reduce the risk of infection. In the product information for Neulasta, one of the side effects listed is bone pain. I start getting bone and joint pain about 3 days after my chemo or 2 days after getting the Neulasta shot. I take Tylenol for the pain. Recently, my doctor told me to start taking the full daily dosage of Tylenol (8 pills/24 hours) 1 day before my chemo treatment, the day of chemo treatment and for the 1-5 days following treatment when the pain is the worst.

The other problem I have been having is pain in my legs similar to restless leg syndrome. I first had restless leg syndrome 6 years ago before I had my hysterectomy. It turned out that my uterine fibroids where causing so much blood loss that I was anemic. I had read an article that restless leg syndrome can be brought on by anemia and that taking iron supplements helps. I now take a multivitamin with iron that helps with the restless leg pain. On days that I forget to take the vitamin, the pain really comes back. I am not sure if I am anemic or low iron again, but I will see if my ONC will test for that the next time I see him.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders