Is smell a symptom?

I was wondering.........How many of you ladies think that Ovarian cancer has a smell? I think it is a sympton.

45 replies. Join the discussion

more specific?

If you mean we have a certain smell when we have ovarian cancer, my answer is no.

Never thought about it. I know that diabetics have a "smell" sometimes, and my mom always said she could smell a chicken pock... and she was routinely correct... maybe. Why not? Have you noticed anything specific?

Melf

Do you mean like a smell in your nose or of a certain area of the body? I did have some smell differences during chemo but nothing I could put my finger on. It seemed connected to my taste.

HI --

I would be interested to know why you ask that because during the months prior to my diagnosis I kept thinking I was smelling something, almost a taste/smell kind of thing.

By the time I started noticing this "smell" I was sort of having premonitions that something was wrong with me. I have not noticed the smell or thought about it since my surgery last November. I only thought about it now because you brought it up.

Hmmmmmmmm -- ;o) Martha

Come to think of it -- I just saw something on TV the other day how they are trying to train dogs to sniff out cancer. Just another thought. -- Martha

I can smell myself sometimes when I am stressed more. The fluid def has a smell & my dog used to smell my tummy & go uff & back off
hul

For at least 6 months maybe up to a year before my diagnosis I kept asking What is that smell? Kind of rancid/dog/dirty clothes sort of smell, not very strong but I never could figure out where it was coming from. Sometimes I thought it was in my nose. When I found out I had ovc I thought to myself well thats the smell.

That describes exactly what I was smelling! Strange.

Maybe we're on to something!

My husband used to tell me that a few days after chemo, he could faintly smell something like burning flesh. Nice! He didn't tell me that at the time, he is much too kind-hearted to say that if he thought it might hurt my feelings.
All those who think having cancer stinks!! raise your hand. :)

The Pine Street Foundation is currently funding a study on dogs detecting ovca in the breath so that's very real and you have a good doggy nose!

As to chemo producing an odor as our bodies emit it, well we are full of chemicals after an infusion and it will be present in our bodily fluids, etc. I was advised not to hold my newborn granddaughter the day of chemo & a few days thereafter. Although that's a different issue from ovca itself having an odor.

I think I'll go smell some roses! :)

Martha McQ

Hey gg1,

I to thought I could smell dirty socks, feet. laundry on me. I also thought that my washer was not washing my clothes very good. I would sit at my cube at work and say to my co worker man my feet must smell can you smell them? then we would laugh. She said no but I know think it was me. This did go on for almost a year before I was told I had the OV CA crap! I to think you are on to something. I also thought I was going crazy! lol!!!!!

Thanks
Stacy

Not me. Never had any of the things mentioned, nor heard of it before.

I have 2 large dogs one a white german shepard ,golden lab mix another is a black lab ,elephant mix .Both of them can tell if I'm not well .They start every morning with the white one crawling on the bed and giving me a good sniff. It basically sets how they treat me for the day. Before my diagnosis they were very solicitous. Because I wasn't feeling well or because they smelled something ,who knows. And I went from washing my clothes in cold water to hot. I do know our bodies have ways of getting the toxins out of our bodies and sweat is one ,so why wouldn't we have a smell?

Before I was diagnosed, my dog used to really mash and rub his head against my stomach whenever I would lay down on the bed. Ever since my surgery over 3 years ago, he has never done that again. I don't know if he was trying to tell me something or what but I like to think he was on to something.

Before being diagnosed, my urine had a really strong odor.

We recently went to an Ovarian Cancer Symposium in Seattle and there is currently a study on diagnosing ovarian cancer with a urine test.

This Ovarian Cancer Symposium is held every two years in Seattle, and it was truly amazing. Doctors from all over the USA and the world came together with their studies in the fight for us.

Every time I went to the restroom (I called it the IV trek.) I'd see a sign saying, "Please flush twice."

I thought that was strange because the plumbing was really good, but didn't stop to ask a nurse until I was taking my 3rd chemo. She said, "No, you flush twice because your urine is so toxic!"

"Am I supposed to be doing that at home?" I asked.

"Oh, yes. Didn't they tell you?"

For months I worried about my 13-year-old sons future children because I had exposed him to toxic tee-tee!

I don't remeber a smell but my cat stuck close to me and laid on my belly when I went to bed and I also broke out in a rash on my neck and forehead and after my surgery it was gone.

I don't remember a smell before finding out I had cancer. Durning chemo though I felt like I smelled all the time. My husband, relatives and friends swear they could not smell it but it was sweating out of my skin. It was a sickening, sweet smell. So gross.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders