IP6 & Inositol

Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) & Inositol
Inositol and its phosphorylated form – inositol hexaphophate (IP6), are carbohydrates found in fibers like grains and legumes. They and the other inositol isomers or phosphates (IP1– 5) are abundant in animal cells. They are involved in many biological functions, including membrane structure, hormone signaling and the glucuronic acid and pentose phosphate pathways. (Glucuronic acid pathway is a detoxification process in which glucuronic acid binds with excess hormones and other toxins in the liver so they can be excreted. Pentose phosphate pathway is a reducer of sugars in an alternative mechanism to glycolysis. It is also a reducer of other substances like glutathione that protects against oxidative stress. And it generates hydrogen peroxide for phagocytes that devour toxins.)
Anticancer activities of inositol and IP6 have been demonstrated in a number of studies, but strikingly more potent tumor inhibiting actions were seen when inositol and IP6 were combined. Together they reduce cell proliferation, induce cell cycle arrest and increase cell differentiation, which often results in a reversion to normal phenotype. As a team they are potent immune boosters and antioxidants. The combination of IP6 and inositol has been referred to by researchers as a “broad-spectrum antineoplastic agent (cancer chemotherapy).”
The vast amount of laboratory data accumulated so far confirms another one of our original hypotheses – that IP6 is indeed a broad-spectrum antineoplastic agent, effective against cancers of different cells and tissue systems. The mechanisms underlying the anticancer activity of IP6 and inositol may involve changes in pathways leading to cell growth and cell death. These include hormone and growth factor signaling, regulatory mechanisms of cell cycle progression, cell differentiation and apoptosis.
Current Cancer Therapy Reviews, 2005, 1, 259-69

Inositol works in conjunction with folate, v itamins B-6, B-12, choline, betaine, and methionine to prevent the accumulation of fats in the liver. It exists as the fiber component of phytic acid. Inositol has been found to promote healthy hair, hair growth, and help in controlling estrogen levels. It may also be of benefit in reducing blood cholesterol levels.
In his book, Too Good to Be True, Dr. Kim Vanderlinden N.D., D.T.C.M., cited the following anti-tumor activities for IP6:
 Helps normalize the rate of excessive cell division
 Helps normalize cell physiology
 Enhances Natural Killer (NK) cells
 Supports tumor suppressor gene (P53) activity
 Inhibits inflammation
 Enhances apoptosis
 Promotes antiangiogenisis activities
 Inhibits metastasis
In addition to suppressing cancer on its own, IP6 has been found to enhance the effectiveness of Tamoxifen and Andriamycin without increasing drug toxicity 1, 2. According to the School of Medicine at the University of Maryland, IP6 plus inositol has antioxidant properties and the ability to chelate iron and suppress oxygen and hydrogen formation. Researchers found IP6 inhibited growth of all tested cancer cell lines.
The antiproliferative activity of IP6 was further reported in human colon cancer HT-29 cells 28, estrogen receptor-positive and estrogen receptor-negative human breast cancer cells 32, cervical cancer 25, prostate cancer 15, 33, 34, and HepG2 hepatoma cell lines 31. IP6 also inhibited the growth of mesenchymal tumors, murine fibrosarcoma 39, and human rhabdomyosarcoma 38. However, cells from different origin have different sensitivity to IP6 (the leukemic cell lines seem to be highly susceptible to IP6), suggesting that IP6 may affect different cell types through different mechanisms of action.
The potential of IP6 to induce differentiation and maturation of malignant cells, often resulting in reversion to the normal phenotype, was first demonstrated in K-562 hematopoietic cells 26. IP6 was further shown to increase differentiation of human colon carcinoma HT-29 cells 28, 2 9, prostate cancer cells 33, breast cancer cells 32, and rhabdomyosarcoma cells 38.
J. Nutr. 133:3778S-3784S, November 2003
15. Zi, X., Singh, R. P. & Agarwal, R. (2000) Impairment of erbB1 receptor and fluid phase
endocytosis and associated mitogenic signaling by inositol hexaphosphate in human prostate
carcinoma DU145 cells. Carcinogenesis 21: 2225-2235.
25. Ferry, S., Matsuda, M., Yoshida, H. & Hirata, M. (2002) Inositol hexakisphosphate blocks tumor
cell growth by activating apoptotic machinery as well as by inhibiting the Akt/NF B- mediated
cell survival pathway. Carcinogenesis 23: 2031-2041.
26. Shamsuddin, A. M., Baten, A. & Lalwani, N. D. (1992) Effect of inositol hexaphosphate on growth and differentiation in K562 erythroleukemia cell line. Cancer Lett. 64: 195-202.
28. Sakamoto, K., Venkatraman, G. & Shamsuddin, A. M. (1993) Growth inhibition and differentiation of HT– 29 cells in vitro by inositol hexaphosphate (phytic acid). Carcinogenesis 14: 1815-1819.
29. Yang, G- Y. & Shamsuddin, A. M. (1995) IP6– induced growth inhibition and differentiation of
HT-29 human colon cancer cells: involvement of intracellular inositol phosphates. Anticancer Res. 15: 2479–2488.
31. Vucenik, I., Tantivejkul, K., Zhang, Z. S., Cole, K. E., Saied, I. & Shamsuddin, A. M. (1998) IP6 treatment of liver cancer. I. IP6 inhibits growth and reverses transformed phenotype in HepG2
human liver cancer cell line. Anticancer Res. 18: 4083-4090
32. Shamsuddin, A. M., Yang, G-Y. & Vucenik, I. (1996) Novel anti-cancer functions of IP6: growth
inhibition and differentiation of human mammary cancer cell lines in vitro. Anticancer Res. 16:
3287-3292.
33. Shamsuddin, A. M. & Yang, G.- Y. (1995) Inositol hexaphosphate inhibits growth and induces
differentiation of PC– 3 human prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 16: 1975-1979.
34. Singh, R. P., Agarwal, C. & Agarwal, R. (2003) Inositol hexaphosphate inhibits growth, and induces G1 arrest and apoptotic death of prostate carcinoma DU145: modulation of CDKI-CDK-cyclin and pRb- related protein-E2F complexes. Carcinogenesis 24: 555-563.
38. Vucenik, I., Kalebic, T., Tantivejkul, K. & Shamsuddin, A. M. (1998) Novel anticancer function of inositol hexaphosphate (IP6): inhibition of human rhabdomyosarcoma in vitro and in vivo.
Anticancer Res. 18: 1377-1384.

In addition to cytotoxic and cell differentiation activity, IP6 & inositol has powerful immune enhancing properties

15 replies. Join the discussion

It's one of Dr Murray's Super Eight and I've been taking it since I found his book. It's interesting to see Agarwahl and Shamsuddin so many times in the footnotes. Check out ip-6.net from the U of Maryland.

Thanks for reinforcing my belief and my long-term investment is this stuff.

sounds wonderful . Is it contra indicated when taking chemo (carboplatin in my case ) do you know ?

I took it with chemo I never researched - it if any exists. I can say if you are taking Taxol it will PREVENT neuropathy completely. If you find research on it please let us know.

Michelle, I am meeting with an integrative dr next week ? Wondering if you took ip6 all but 48 hours before and after chemo ?
Thx

I took it every day. What you should avoid is thiol antioxidants such as NAC, ALA and glutathione. Also Q10. Most other anti-oxidants enhance chemo.

I got the thumbs up to take IP6/Inositol from my infusion center pharmacist while on topotecan treatments . I'm under the impression that she would not have a problem with it on any type of chemo and she even stated that it might help enhance the effectiveness of treatment. I started taking the Whole Foods brand, hope it is good, seems they would put out a quality product and the price is great.

That's interesting - I didn't know WF had IP6 & Inositol. It is both not just one or the other, right??

Yes it's both though the label reads "Immune System Defense with IP-6". The capsules are 800 mg of IP-6 and 220 mg Inositol. Also have some Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium in them. As I recall they are exactly the same as the name brand thats carried there as well and about half the price, Less than $15 I believe for 120 vegetable capsules.

Hi Michelle...you mentioned no glutathione around chemo...I take Immunical platinum which is supposed to boost glutathione...It's a whey protein...so I'm curious if I should have been avoiding this around treatments...Thanks for any thoughts on that....also any recommendations on a good brand of the IP-6 and Inositol......Lisa

Lisa, that's a good question. Three different studies have found that whey lowers GHS in cancer cells while upreg in healthy cells so it should be fine in that respect. There are numerous studies finding non-denatured whey inhibits cancer. I would suggest Natural Factors brand - you can get 2 pound jar for under $30 on net. I think Immunocal is very expensive, isn't it? I will add that one author has recently voiced concern that whey, like all dairy, contains various growth factors which should be counter productive. I have known this about colostrum and have avoided it because of this. Still studies suggest whey is beneficial. You can search "whey" and find my research posted on the site.

IP6 & Inositol: I have always bought Enzamatic brand, but it looks like Rivermaiden's brand is the same thing and is much cheaper.

Thank-you for the feedback Michele....I went for the Immunical brand beacuase of their claims that they process differently than other whey proteins that retain all the glutathione benefits...sales pitch got me! LOL...other cancer survivors swear by it too...so they swayed me as well...but YES..rather pricey!!

It is wonderful that you shared the details of the benefits of IP-6. A friend recommended I take it when first diagnosed several years ago with Stage IIIC ovarian cancer. I have been taking it ever since. I think it is important to mention that it must be taken in higher doses than recommended on the bottle. Seems the research indicates taking much higher doses if you are using it to fight cancer. I recommend it often, but most people seem very concerned about taking more than 4 tablets daily. I take 12 daily and 16 while I went through chemo. The researcher also has a new book out in 2011. I have not yet read it.

Michele-- you know me, the anti-glut queen. do you remember which author voiced concern?

No, I just came across it. An article not a study. But it was growth factors not glutathione that was the concern.

Painting. It's a good point. I have posted 6-8 pills twice a day. This is the dose recommended by the doc who invented the combo - Samshudden (sp). This is also the dose I took that prevented neuropathy while on Taxol.

I do have to say that it did not prevent neuropathy for me. They had to stop giving me Taxol after 3 treatments because they said I would not be able to walk if I continued receiving it. I took 16 IP-6 prior to starting chemo. I am convinced that it is an awesome immune builder though. I always had about 3 colds each year and I have only had one small cold in the past 4 years!! That has convinced me of the benefits.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders