I'm a 5 year survivor

Today was the day I received my DX of stage 4 OC (shutter) 5 years ago. Today I am NED. I believe there are a lot more of us out there. I just wish they would post. Maybe they are not members of team inspire. I believe I had good doctors, but I truly believe that (as one of my doctors put it) I was in the hands of the Lord. I am truly grateful to Him.

68 replies. Join the discussion

Still here! Diagnosed in November 2004, stage 4. 8 rounds of chemo. Atologous stem cell transplant in 2005. Three year remission.
recurrence in 2008. 6 rounds of chemo. Alogeneic transplant with my brothers stem cells in 2009. Still in my second remission.
ca 135 next week. Wish me luck. And wishing you all so much luck as i have had. i am always here checking this site. i don't post very much, but i'm here!
Ell

I mean ca 125 next week. ( not ca 135 oops) and i also had surgery after diagnoses like all of us.

I was diagnosed stage IV in May of 2007 so it's been five years for me too! I am still NED after first-line treatment.

I just spoke to a friend who was diagnosed with stage IV. On Sunday she will be celebrating her 9th Cancerversary. She never recurred.
Helen

Thank you all soo much for this post! I was diagnosised stage IIIc in Dec 2011 and just now finishing up my first round of chemo! I was wondering did any of you do a maintenance schedule of Taxol after your major chemo or did you just quit and go to check-ups. I was given this option from my dr and am contimplating what to do! Any advice is welcome!

When I was sick in 2000, my doc recommended a second look surgery and another year of taxol. However, my husband was dying at the time, and I didn't want to go through another surgery when he was so sick (it would have been away from home). I also didn't believe another year of chemo would be helpful. Skeptic that I am. I believed a better diet would be more helpful, in addition to lowering the stress in my life. Ten years later, the beast came back when I got lazy about my lifestyle. This time is was stage IV. I had the usual six treatments plus two extra of taxol. My doc (the same doc) told me that the people who were on the year of taxol did better during that year, but after that, didn't survive any longer overall. So he didn't recommend it this time. I've been in remission now for 14 months, despite the stress of my mother dying, a colon resection, reversal of my colostomy, and a shoulder replacement. I'm eating right, exercising, doing things I enjoy, working very little.

Thank you for posting! My mom just finished treatment for stage 4 OVCA.

Thanks Argyl for the post! I appreciate all the information I can gather on this topic! Want to make a very informed decision on this! We only have one life to live and I want it to be the best it can be!

I'm so happy to hear of everyones NED's stories!! I am currently dancing with NED, and i hope i dance till im in my 70's atleast!! ;) Im 30 years young with a 6 year old, i will see her graduate and hold her children!!! God needed my mother when i needed her the most 3 weeks after my daughter was born, but living with cancer since last summer and not taking anythng for granted...I have learned to forgive him and myself. Its my turn to beat this and make my mother proud from wherever she may be. We will meet again, and believe me i cant wait!! But, its not my time yet..its not my time!! :) Love to all of you ladies still fighting and dancing!! <3

Such a young woman, to be so sick, Sayshell. Take very good care of yourself. Eat your veggies and fruits, beans and whole grains, stay away from meat and sugar. Put curry in anything you can think of (stews, soups, stir-fries), take curcumin and Vit C everyday. Be a fanatic about it! Don't let this beast come back!

Forgive me for my soapbox. It's important! The further you get from treatment, the more important it is. I was in remission for ten years. I thought it didn't come back after so long. I got lazy. Big mistake.

Thanks to all of you who posted your positive stories which give us all more hope and a little more peace.

I'm only too glad to share this with my Teal sisters. I know someone diagnosed more than 30 plus years ago with no recurrence. She's well into her 70s -working part time and going to the gym on a regular basis. Hope this news is a great Mother's Day gift to all of you.

Congrats..What great news..I too have just celebrated my 5 year anniversary Stage 3C in January, while I am not NED, I am still here and doing everything I did before my dx. Continuous Blessings.. Hugs Mary

Happy mother's day to all the teal ladies! It is blessing to share it with so many wonderful women who give it their best every day! Enjoy :)

Thanks for sharing you truly "inspire" us. Congratulations, how wonderful!!!!!

It is great to hear your survivor for 5 years. Im only 5 weeks into it and scared every day!

Hallelujah what an inspiration. May God keep you & NED together for many more years to come,

These are all so inspiring. I'm BRCA1 and was dx IIIc in 2010 when I was 46. In remission for 6 months, then 1st recurrence in 2011 for which I received x14 monthly carbo-Caelyx. Statistically I was a goner ("prognosis 12 months average") but I'm still here, clear and chemo free! for 2 months now. To read that some people stay NED for so many years is very encouraging. Thankyou for sharing your stories. Will continue to "eat pray love", watch what I eat, exercise, enjoy life a day at a time :-)

Congrats, Julie! Last month was my 4 year anniversary for Stage3B and no recurrance. I have been NED since I finished chemo. As I get closer to my 5 year mark I am getting more scared because I know the statistics but I have enough faith and people praying for me that I can get past this. Guess that goes to show that we are only human. If we could just relax in our faith we would be a lot better off. I am so thrilled when I read a positive story like yours.
Prayers and hugs,GeGe

I'm really inspired by how positive everyone is. Determination really counts for something, I think.

kimwithOVCA, you hang in there. The chemo is good stuff. You've actually got a better chance with this cancer than with some. Some good books to read: Getting Well Again by Simonton (it might be out of print, but you can probably find used ones on amazon....a little paperback that was my Bible first time around). The China Study by Campbell. Anti-Cancer by David Servan. He lived 15 years beyond his life-expectancy with a really lethal brain cancer. Don't take a lot of vitamins or eat too healthy DURING your chemo, but go to a really healthy plant-based diet when you're done. I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here, but NO MORE SUGAR! LOL!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders