I have a friend that needs help

Hi all of you wonderful survivors!!...My name is Cindy Silver...I'm a 2 year....Stage 4 survivor...and have become close to a young woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 22 ...she had a complete hysterectomy..debulking..etc....and then chemo....she's having a rough time being thrown into menopause and all of the other issues entailed in surviving this disease..but at such a young age...and with no one to talk to that's young like she is...my question is...is there anyone out there who was diagnosed in their early 20's that would be willing to share your experiences with my friend?..perhaps give her some advice?? I sure would appreciate hearing from you!! Cindy Silver

30 replies. Join the discussion

I have a friend who was diagnosed at 27. Similar situation, young, no kids yet. She has a blog if your young lady would like to check it out. She could contact her through there. It is won'tletthisbeatme.com

Dear Cindy,
You have come to the right place for your friend! There are several websites and blogs for young woman such as her, but with my chemo brain, I can't for the life of me remember what they are.

If you change you posting to 'members only' you will receive more replies, lots of folks don't want to have their posts broadcast to the public.

Give the other ladies time to see your message and someone will chime in. What a thoughtful thing for you to do.

Congratulations on your two years!
Happy Turtle

Perhaps if you don't get more responses you should change the title of your discussion to something like "Looking for those diagnosed in their 20s." There are several people who post here who were diagnosed at that age, and that may help ensure they notice your request.

Thank you so much!! I will pass this on to her! Cindy

Thank you so much...I will try that.....I have given her this site...so maybe she'll hook up with young women on her own now...Cindy

sdcindy-
I was diagnosed at age 22 as well, I'm now 24. I have a blog at www.mandyslife.com
and I know of another girl diagnosed at age 20, she has a blog at www.ocwarior1026.blogspot.com
I would be happy to talk to your friend, I finished chemo for my first reccurance a few months ago and there definitley are challanges that come with having a hysterectomy and dealing with cancer at our age.
Let me know if I can do anything to help-
Amanda

Hi my name is vanessa i am 24 years old
I am the one cindy is talking about.I am having a really hard time dealing with menopause and not being able to conceive more children.
I have one child a son who is 7 1/2 but he is not with me.
I would love to talk to you ladies and get some advice and develop a support system.
I have been in remission for 7 months now
please contact me
thanks

Hi Amanda..thank you SO much for responding...I got my gal on the site and she has posted already...VBentley....so I would love it if you would contact her directly?? WOW..this response is just what she needs!!! Cindy

Hi Sweetheart...I'm getting responses for you..that I hope will now go to you!! Isn't this super? Love, Cindy

HI cindy,
This is a great website I am enjoying it already
thank you

I'm SO glad....it sure makes you realize you aren't alone on this journey....and that it's not just a bunch of us old farts on it...that there are people out there that can truly relate to YOU and your young-ness! Love, Cindy

Hi! I'm also a 24 year old diagnosed with ovarian cancer! My blog is at www.ohmypoisonedapple.wordpress.com. I would love to get connected to ladies my age too! :)

Kelsey

Hello Cindy.
i was diagnosed with dysgerminoma in January of this year. I found out after they took an extreamly large tumor. The tumor engulfed the ovary so they had to take out the ovary too. after the surgery was said and done my cancer levels were normal. now recently they have found out that the ovarian cancer spread to my lymph nodes. in a few days i have to have surgery to get them taken out and fallowing that i have to have intense chemo. i am only 19 years old so i know how your friend feels.

Hi Sammi-
My daughter was diagnosed with ovca in March of this year at age 17 (she has since turned 18). Her cancer was mucinous adenocarcinoma but we opted not to have them do lymph nodes in staging surgery. How are you doing now? how did they discover the cancer had spread to lymph nodes. I know this has been a difficult and kind of strange time for my daughter. As many have said, would be hard at any age, but very unexpected in a teen. You will be in my prayers for sure.

Hi Cindy, you are not alone. I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer stage 3 too at last year Nov. I'm now age 35, single. I went thru the same thgs, surgery, hysterectomy, chemotheraphy and thrown with all series of changes to cope e.g menopause. It was not easy to bear all this in 6 mths period, however my preseverance put me thru all the challenges with the courage fr my families and frens. I'm single too, knowing the fact that I wont be able to conceive any children anymore. But think at the bright side, we shld thank god we are blessed with a second chance. I'm now 2 months passed my chemo and 1st check-up went well.

Stay positive and God will hear us out. Think positive, show the gratitude to all thgs happened to us and we will attract all the goods to us. That's how i learned and read from the book - The secret.

God bless you..

My sister was diagnosed at age 16 she's welcomed to call or email me. Jstracick@gmail.com 727-687-0168

Jennifer

Hi everyone, I am newly diagnosed w stage 3a, papillary serous ovca grade 1. It was discovered thru a biopsy(20th sept)after my surgery to remove my right ovary,right Fallopian tubes w lymph nodes and omentum. My surgery was on 11 sept.I am shocked and still come to terms
To cancer. Suddenly feels like I can't plan anything much for the future right now, except to go through another surgery and chemo, take each step at a time. I am trying to stay positive, I am 27 year old, former flight attendant, long-distance marriage , no kids. I am from Singapore and told my husband who is from TX. Though my relationship was strained Way before I went for my first surgery on 11 sept, he decided to be on my side for my 2nd surgery, hysterectomy on 8th oct. I want to be super positive, and stay within supportive friends, family and people alike, build a lot of faith in myself and religion, and take cancer as a challenging task in life. We are women, young an vibrant. Though pain , lethargy and some of you gals gone thru chemo, we will do everything to fight for our lives! Ladies, please share on your experiences, post hysterectomy then chemo, similar diagnose, advices, we can go thru this!! My email is erninorliana03@yahoo.com.sg keep on touch!! God bless!

HI Sweetheart....My name is Cindy Silver....I tried your email address..but it came back...anyway.....
I want to share my story with you.... I was diagnosed with very advanced, Stage 4 ovarian cancer..in 2008...it became advanced when my Primary Care Dr ignored my pleas that something was terribly wrong with me...when I was finally diagnosed my kidneys and liver were failing...I had two huge tumors blocking my bowel..and I was put on a food tube 24/7 immediately....BUT...my husband and I were determined we were going to beat it....in fact...I named my tumors after two people I didn't like..and told them they would be the size of raisins when I was through with them!!!...I then had 3 months of chemo to try to reduce the tumors and the ascites fluid....I lost 40 lbs..and I'm a little person...I was so bad off at one point that my husband went out and got a baby monitor..so I could call him for help when I was upstairs in bed!!!!....after about two months I had a fever and was rushed to the hospital....it was an infection in the pic line where the food tube went into my arm.....but while I was there they did an MRI and found my tumors had been reduced by 50 % and most of the fluid was gone!!..My CA125 went from 3,000 to 1,325...AND..I was able to go off the food tube...I had refused to eat all of that time..COULDN'T eat!!...(and I had always had a weight problem!).....well...while in the hospital I had to have two blood transfusions....and I tell everyone..TRUE STORY...I don't know who's blood I got..but the next day my appetite came roaring back..and all I could think about..talk about....was two for .99 cent taco's from Jack in the Box...don't know if you have them where you live??...well..I had my tacos a week later and started eating again...a month later I finally had surgery...and they found cancer in EVERYTHING!!....and he had to resect my bowel...I then started chemo again....including chemo to the site of the surgery..IP chemo..and chemo through the IV....I had two ports....I was SO lucky...I tolerated the chemo so well......my Dr was very open minded and I took several supplements that helped with joint pain....neuropathy.....after a year my numbers had reached a normal level...and I was given a PET scan....expecting there would be some cancer that would need to be taken care of....and it came back..no cancer anywhere...ok...I finally cried for the first time!!!!...I then had the choice of a clinical trial or another year of chemo...I took the chemo...I just felt it was killing all of the cancer cells....after two full years of chemo..in March 2010 I had another scan...no cancer...and this year my Gyn/Onc said I was doing so well that he didn't want me going through another scan!!...SO....I try to tell my story because I think it can bring hope....I've also become a huge advocate for women going through this..I help individual women..just staying in touch..answering questions..sharing...I belong to two support groups....and a group called Survivors Teaching Students..Saving Women's lives....we present our story to Medical Students and Nursing schools....trying to get these folks to go out in the world with an open mind and knowledge of the signs and symptoms of this awful disease...so women will be HEARD..and diagnosed earlier at Stages that are more manageable..whew...sorry to get carried away....now..please tell me more about YOU!!...you are definitely young for having ovarian cancer....Cindy

Dear Cindy silver, sorry took a long while replying your thread, I am now 3 days post hysterectomy surgery, in hospital.. Recovering well. :) gas pains and pains in the surgery area were what I had anticipated. Last month I had right ovary, lymph nodes and omentum removed, so going back to surgery is like dejavu.. I find similar setting, similar pain, similar doctors..
What I did after my first surgery: I went on a steamed fish wih broccoli and porridge diet for 10 days, then switched to minced beef porridge, then I start to eat normal after my 3rd week post op, enjoying my candy my desserts my snacks, except that portions are cut into 1/3 already. Of course i took vitamins Everyday to build up my immune system,spent time with friends , go out and do sleepovers durin the weekends at my sis place, sometimes I feel lonely, I called my gf up and we just watched DVDs while she sleepover at my place. Because I had open laparotomy surgery , I try not to
Be so active. I have cushions at home and in a friend's car whenever I feel like going out. Sometimes when I don't want to eat painkillers , I just heat my heat depress pad and placed it on my tummy, shoulders, back,etc. soothing. My scar healed very well, and I hope I will be in my best health to gear up for chemo end of the month. My motto is , I try to maximize my day to the best as I can , without jeopardizing my surgery recovery. :) I will start a blog in two weeks time, will update u gals!!

-life is not all about cancer ,and don't let it define you-
Erni

Well, I would be thrilled to talk with her...but for starters...upon reading the post, I wondering who the hell yanked out ALL her parts at such an early age? My gosh....was the cancer everywhere or what? I begged my doctor to take mine but he said no because I was 40 yrs old and I might want to have children still. I wish he had because 11 years later I was diagnosed with OV. He said I need my ovaries so I would NOt be thrown into an early menopause. what the hell is going on with all these female issues and cancer??? Doesn't anyone ask the question?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders