How long does it take to get your CAT scan results.? Are delays significant

How long does it take to get CAT Scan results back? Does your doctor or a nurse call you with the results?

Galina

18 replies. Join the discussion

A day or two usually, but you may have to call them if they are busy! One of the hospitals I went too you always had the results the next day.

A nurse usually calls.

Yes a few days is normal. They never call me directly. I always get the results from my onc Doctor at my appointment.

24 to 48 hours usually. My doc calls me. Sometimes, when I'm symptomatic, I get the disc and bring it to my gyn/onc and he looks it over in the office, but this is rare.
Jeanne

Typically my scans results are faxed the same day to my doctor, I can call the next day and have them fax me the report. The same is typically for my blood work. When I hear some of you women say they are waiting weeks for their results I get so angry, because those results are sitting on someone's desk!!

I would call your Dr/nurse. They usually have the results same day.

I get mine the same day. I am given a disc to take to my gyn/onc immediately. The radiological oncologist reads the scan and has usually talks to my gyn;onc immediately while he's reading the films.

Anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days, and the doctor or nurse calls. It all depends on how busy everyone is -- the radiologist and the gyn/onc. The only time I had it in a few minutes was at the time of diagnosis, and the radiologist read it immediately, called my primary care physician to talk to her, and she called me before I had gotten into my car. We had already talked face-to-face earlier in the day; so, I knew what the concerns were.

After 5-7 days, the results are put online so that I can read through the report myself. I think they delay putting it online to give your doctor time to discuss the results with you before you see it in black and white.

Our small town hospital has a "clinic" where we can get blood draws and do our chemos. The clinic is affiliated with the cancer center 37 miles away in a larger city. The oncologist makes a trip to our clinic twice a month to meet with the local patients prior to their next treatment. For the most part, all tests and treatments are done locally (under his order).

When I get a PET/CT locally (a mobile scan in a truck) or at the cancer clinic, transcribed results (and CD) are available to me by next day. Sometimes same day.

The radiologist who interprets the scans done at the "official cancer clinic in the city" reads them only a couple times a week. So I'm lucky if I can get the results a week later and besides that, staff usually won't give me a copy until the oncologist has reviewed the results with me.

Weird. Local small town hospital (city population 2800) can get results same or next day.
Big city cancer center takes nearly a week and they are reluctant to share without the doctor signing off.

It's not the reading of the scan that takes time. It's how often the radiologist is available. And whether or not the facility will give you the info before the doc has reviewed it with you.

Thank you. Still no results and it's almost Wednesday. I had the scan this past Saturday. The wait is excruciating.

UGG! That's sucks!! Don't they understand how freaked out we get wait on test results. I hope they call you first thing tomorrow and all is clear.

Thanks ChefWife. I'm trying to keep busy until that happens.

They take the scans and then have the radiologist read them, so the hold up is usually the radiologist. It sounds like they got "lost", so I would definitely call and check on their status and get them put to the top of his "to do pile". This is not an indicator that they found something one way or another, for sure. Good luck

I have mine done through Kaiser; I go the next day and get a copy myself. I have to sign a form, but I have no problems getting a copy. Go to where you had the CT and ask for a copy. I do not like to wait; to, to anxious. debbie

I wouldn't have a problem with calling the oncologist at this stage of the game and asking for the results. Generally, though, the most critical issues are read first so the delay should not be a worry. My daughter works with radialogists in the "reading room." A scan for a possible pulmonary embolism gets attention immediately since it could be imminently fatal. Cancer doesn't kill that quickly. Good luck, Janet

2-3 days at most. If they don't call you, call in and ask for results. I usually call on mine, because they get busy and forget to call I think, which of course is unforgivable. They have to know that we are sitting on pins and needles to get results.

Stay strong!

Angel

I return about an hour after the test and pick up a copy of the disk and report. My doctor usually calls within 1-2 days to provide his interpretation of the results.

Thank you ALL for helping me get through this stressful situation. The CAT was fine and the breast MRI I had on Monday was too. I feel soo lucky!!
Galina

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders