How do you know when cancer has come back?

I was diagnosed as a stage 1C and had two surgeries and 6 rounds of chemo. My last chemo was a year and 2 months ago. For the last couple of days I've had severe diarrhea and I'm worried that the cancer is back. Is this possible??? What are the signs people experience when it comes back?

6 replies. Join the discussion

My sis which is 55 was just diagnosed with Stage 1 Grade C...Her doc is doing 6 rounds of chemo..she got her port put in friday. Not sure when her 1st treatment is. This is suppose to be a preventive type chemo? He said if he doesn't do it now, and it comes back, (since he THINKS he got it all in surgery) He won' t be able to do anything!!! I was like "What"?? I guess if it comes back it will come back with a vengence? I really don't understand yet..He did say she will lose her hair, no biggy...Just pray this does keep it from coming back!! How was your chemo? Was it really really bad? Just wondering what she'll be going through?

You say your a 1c , and went through treatment a year and a half ago sucessfully?
And you have only diarrhea? Well your chances are quite good its not a recurrance, it was caught earlyband sucessful.
I would look into food poisioning, possible IBS , there are so so many things that can cause diarrhea. Id csll my doctor and for peace of mind for you, get it checked out. Good Luck!

Call your doctor!!! Last winter I started to feel really weird- constipated, feelings of bloating and general malaise, like something wasn't right. I wasn't due for a CA125 for 6 weeks or so (3 month checkup). My doctor ordered bloodwork and my cA125 WAS elevated, not much but definitely the "trend" he always talks about. Despite thinking it was nothing, he then ordered a CT, which showed 3 small spots. I had 4 Doxil infusions and now they're gone. Ironically, the ct scan showed no sign of ascites or anything else. There was nothing to validate my "symptoms" but . . . I am taking this to mean that I need to listen to my body and react when I don't feel right. Like so many before me have said on this forum, you know your body better than anyone else.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar--meaning that a couple of days of loose bowels could be almost anything and probably not cancer. My doc said that one of the signs of recurrence is a change in bowel habits over a period of two plus weeks or more. Have you changed your diet? Try eating applesauce and rice, maybe some broth for a day or two to get your tummy calmed down.

I had some constipation a couple of months ago with pain on one side. Went to my doc, had a CA125 which was normal and a CT which was also normal. I added flax seeds and water with lemon in the morning which got things moving and took away the pain. My doctor ordered a GI consult, which I ended up not needing, due to my home remedies. After the surgery we've had, we need to take extra care of our bowels.

So yes, call your doctor but know that it may very well not be a return of cancer too.
Lisa

It is good you are listening to your body. Call your doc, make an appointment. It may be nothing. At least if you pursue information you are being proactive and taking care of yourself. Please keep us posted.
Cindy

I feel like once you've had cancer.. anything that could mean it's return is a call to action. If CA125 was a good indicator for you, I would be calling to get that ordered right away.

It's probably JUST diarrhea.. could be a virus going around or something you ate that didn't agree with you... but my motto is "prove to me it isn't cancer, THEN we'll look into other causes"

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders