Hot flashes long after menopause

I've just finished my third course of chemo (carbo and Gemzar) and for the past 6 months have started with hot flashes again. I'm 20 years post menopause, and 15 years symptom free. My GYN/oncologist has no explanation. I suspect it is a side effect of chemo. Has anyone else had this happen?

12 replies. Join the discussion

YES! 7 years after diagnosis and treatment I am still having "hot flashes". My doc has no explaination either. Obviously, our body chemistry has not reballanced after chemo.

I frighten people when I am in a meeting and one comes over me. They think I am going to blow up, so they agree with whatever... :) Sometimes this gets me what I want, but more often than not, it is just plain embarrassing!

At 63 - these are not your normal hormonal, "hot flashes", but more likely "chemo flashes".

I live in Florida, so hot and sweaty is everywhere - I just wish it wasn't me all the time. (my house is as cold as my family will let me keep it)

Sweating, but smiling,
Connie

I'm 9 years past surgery and menopause and while I don't get hot flashes (as we know them), I sometimes wake up during the night in a sweat. Never happens during the day. My onc. just shrugs his shoulders. I've been on chemos for a year straight, so maybe it's just knocked my system out of whack. I'm currently on Avastin and Cytoxan, but it's not a side effect. Chemo and meds do a lot of strange things, so you're not alone.

I am 12 years post chemo and menopause and have always had the hot flashes. It is much like you describe Connie. Any little thing brings them on and people think I am having a stroke. Add it to the rosacea I have and I look like a beefy red tomato. You can even see it in my profile picture. I can get no answer either, just shrugs from the doctors, but I have found something that helps a lot. I took Zoloft for a two years and it controlled them to some degree. I got tired of some of the side effects of the Zoloft and recently switched to low dose Effexor and it has been great. Don't totally understand the link between hot flashes and an antidepressant (not depressed here) but it definitely has lessened the problem for me. LilySue

Glad to know others are having this effect. I am 10 years post menopause and 4 years post surgery. I have them mostly at night, and, yes, I too turn down that thermostat low at night but still am kicking the covers off and on. I had 2.5 years remission before recurring this past June and that is when I think it came back because I do not remember having it as much with the therapies I had in 2005 through 2007?..

Doesn't that suck! Go through it and then have to do it again? Thats just wrong. Sounds like we are destined to sweat for the rest of our days on this earth. arggggggggggh!
Mel

I am 10 years cancer free, was 3+, and have had hot flashes for over 25 years,,,I had taken estrogen, of course when cancer occured had to quit that, now on paxil but truly notice no difference, As long as I am sitting and reading a book I am fine but working around the house or cooking, etc become soaking wet. My onco/gyno asked me how long I have had the "hots", told him since I was 43 years old. He told me I would probably have them the rest of my life. Fun.......I wish someone could come up with a solution. Feel so sorry for that gal in Fla. I am now in Pa and am much better as it is cool up here, but when we go south for the winter, I die.... Good luck to all.....

Thanks ladies. I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone, and not crazy!

Before ovca, I had hot flashes beginning with perimenopause which stopped a year or two after menopause. After a few years, I started having them again. I called my gynecologist and she said, "Oh, you'll have them off and on again the rest of your life!"

This was in my precancer days, so maybe ovca just intensifies it.

If you ever get a chance, you all should go and see the play "Menopause The Musical." It travels the country and truly is hysterical. There are all sorts of songs about hot flashes and night sweating, etc. You will still have the hot flashes but will definitely laugh about it after you see this play.

My mother is 81, never had cancer, and still gets hot flashes. The doctor did every test imaginable and finally said she'll just have to live with it.

I'm 10 months post hysterectomy. Never had hot flashes while going through menopause but I get them occasionally now.

I have a cousin who is 63 who also still gets hot flashes.

Aren't we lucky! :0))

I am 14 months post chemo and CT scans still clear! YEA
I, too, have those hot flashes. YES, they can even be embarrassing! It takes over my body! LOL
It was good to hear I'm not the only one! My co-workers laugh at me. How can I have hot flashes when I've had debulking surgery! LOL
Oh, well. I'll take the hot flashes over OC anyday! I always say, "IT beats Chemo!!!"
Have a great day, ladies!
Jan

Just last evening my husband and I were waiting for our food at a pizza place and I started to perspire all over. The air conditioning was on (we're in Florida), and everyone else in the place was either comfortable or a bit chilly. I was just put back on taxol, so I thought it might be that.

LilySue, reading your post convinces me to stay on my antidepressant, if without it my hot flashes would be more frequent.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders