Hot flashes

I had my first recurrence of ovarian cancer and have read a lot that inflammation is the cause of recurrence. For years I had hot flashes and the only time they seem to have lessened was right after my hysterectomy. Now my flashes have occurred with vengence but they do not make me sweat. It is like heat builds up in me and then after a length of time, it subsides. It happens during the night as well as daytime. Can this be a symtom of a recurrence in the future.

8 replies. Join the discussion

Very interesting question. I don't have the answer but I do want to chime in here with my own experience. I had severe hot flashes after my hysterectomy which continued all the way through chemo and then finally began to subside. However, like you, I am now having some hot flashes but I don't sweat. I just feel like I'm HOT all over. I've never looked to see if my face turns red but it sure feels like it should. Then it just goes away after a few minutes. (My fan has a remote, praise the Lord)
I don't know if it has anything to do with recurrence or not. I would be inclined to say no.. My boyfriend says it's because he walked in the room but I'm inclined to say no to that too!!... But I really don't know. I have been having some symptoms lately that have me a bit scared that it has recurred. It will be interesting to see if there is a link.

Let's hope not!!

Love, Hugs and Prayers,
Sonya

I can only tell you that I started having hot flashes 12 years before my diagnose. I was only 39! Darn perimenopause. I have never stopped having them I'm sorry to say. They occur both during the day and night. Surgery, chemo, NED for almost 5 years and I still have them. I do turn red from the chest up. They don't last long but nothing has ever worked for me to stop them. During the cold weather in the northeast, I've been known to walk around my house in bare feet, t shirt, and light exercise pants while hubby huddles on the couch in sweaters and blankets...<big grin>. I don't think they have any bearing on my diagnose.....they're just a bad family trait. My gyno/onco feels they are something I may continue to have for the rest of my life. I had a great aunt who still experienced one or two a year at the age of 95 ! That just makes me shudder. I would mention it to your doc on the next visit to see what he thinks may be a cause of them.
Hugs, Jean

I started having hot flashes and night sweats after the surgery. I was 10 years past menopause and accompanying symptoms. My gyn/onc prescribed Effexor. The hot flashes and night sweats disappeared. She said the hot flashes and night sweats were the result of the hysterectomy and a lot of women have the same experience. She was right - the Effexor took care of it.

I was so glad to read this as I also have hot flashes two years after my surgery and during a recurrence. They are just like yours, Sharon, it is as if the heat builds up in me and then after a few minutes resides. No sweating, so strange! Sonya, I loved your response, my husband would like to think he is the cause as well, LOL!

My biggest worry is that having these "strange hot flashes" does it mean that the cancer is still working and will come back again. Had been NED for four years, then the recurrence and only just got off my session of carbo/gemzar a month ago and am clear again.

iam having hot flashes any time of the day and night its so bad i cant sleep iam taking xanax 1mg
some time i break out in a sweet and some times not just a buring sensation then ill get the chills the dr gave me meds estradiol 0.5 mg take one a day i just would like some sleep///????? this started even before i had 1)tube and ovrie removed but now has gotten worse the drs just need to help us in stead brushing us off saying were to young not there is no age

I had really bad hot flashes during chemo but after they subsided and I only had them now and then. Like you, for the past month or so they have gotten worse again. I thought it was just the change in weather but then about two weeks ago I started having other symptoms similar to what I had prior to diagnosis. Now I'm worried too whether it's all part of the picture heading to a recurrence. Thanks for posting the question. Hopefully we will find an answer soon.

now you guys have me worried . . . I had then after surgery and a few months later they subsided . . . lately they are coming back in full sign

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders