HIPEC

Hello everyone. I received a phone call from my gyn-onc in regards to the stay in the hospital. He said I will be in for 1-2 weeks. Do any of you have any encouraging words in regards to experience with this. Is the stay so long due to observation? My surgeon said he will start off robotically and open me up from sternum to pelvis only if needed. I am getting nervous.

27 replies. Join the discussion

hey there. I have no experience with this, but lots of encouraging words. Hang in there, hang in there, hang in there! and bring a kindle so you have lots to read while there. I would guess the stay is long so they can make sure you are healing, etc., no infection, before sending you home. Also, word to the wise ( and learned this the hard way, no pun intended, after the fact after my stay in hospital for bilateral mastectomy) . . . If you are getting any morphine/opiate based pain killer after surgery, make sure they start giving you a stool softener too once you start eating anything solid. Not necessarily a laxitive, but something like Senacot S. Whatever you take, make sure it has stool softening component! Opiates can cause severe constipation, and no one told me this. The nurses all made sure I was urinating, and tracked it by the ounce on charts, but no one ever thought to find out about the other. Oddly enough, I was at a highly regarded cancer center, so you would think this is something they have seen before. I was MISERABLE for days, and didn't think I would ever go again until my mother got some Senacot S. Thank the good Lord for that stuff.

I asked my gyn/onc about this surgery and he told me he doesn't believe in it but did tell me Drs that do rent the unit to use during the surgery. I am too old and don't believe I would get over it so I will keep you in my daily prayers and you rock. I pray it works for you! You are so young and deserve a whole life again.

My suggestion after spending 3 wks in the hospital is don't let the hospitalist take all current meds away. Mine did including the anti depressants, acid reflux meds and high blood pressure meds. He decided I should have over the counter meds. I was suicidal in a week and couldn't understand why?? JERK! He also didn't think I needed opiate pain killers after a 5 hr abdominal surgery and another abdominal surgery 4 days later. If I could have choked him I would have. Being in the medical profession I hope they will extend courtesy to you.

Blessings,

Marty

I had the robotic surgery to remove my ovarian tumor only to find out it was cancer after it was removed via robot and had to be opened up stem to stern to get to the lymph nodes. I wish, looking back, I would have just had them open me up from the start. My tumor had to be cut into tiny pieces to get it out with the robot. Had I been opened up, my doc could have gotten it out intact. Good luck to you!

Have you had surgery and Chemo previously? Do you have ovarian cancer that has spread to Omentum or Periteneal lining?

I was originally diagnosed in May and did 8 rounds of chemo. My PET shows no activity in my chest or abdomen. Originally I had megs to the lungs and abdomen (omentum, abdominal aorta, on the stomach and in the lungs). Now only shows activity in ovaries and uterus. I was inoperable in the beginning.

Rhonda, from what I have been told the reason the stay is so long in the hospital is it takes longer for our bodies to heal after HIPEC and our intestinal track can be very sluggish and need time to get going again.....I am having HIPEC surgery on Monday and was told I would be in the hospital 2 weeks. I will have you in my thoughts! HUGS,

Debls, you will be in my prayers as well. We'be got this girl! Stay in touch.

I agree my warrior sister! You also let me know hoe ur doing! Hugs

Every stay in the hospital requires ear plugs (so all the machines don't keep you awake) and an eye mask. I was in the hospital a week after my surgery and I was thankful for those. Also, my husband brought me a small portable speaker that fit into my iPad/pod so I could listen to the radio etc. phone and iPod chargers a must. I know this may seem trivial, but after a fee days, the noise, smells, lights tec., can really start to bother you.

Hi All, I am scheduled for Hipec next Friday and my dr told me I'd only be in hospital over night. I'm now concerned that that doesn't seem like the norm and I may be discharged too soon. I am stage 4 and had initial surgery on October 23 2012 with the standard 3 tx a month of chemo. Anyone have any input about this would be welcomed

I had surgery last march with hipec to follow...was only in for 3 days.
everything went pretty well...so far still in remission
btw...stage 3

That is a short stay for HIPEC. What did they have to do to you? I am stage 3 and was considering Hipec. They have said its usually 1 to 2 weeks in hospital. Did you have disease in your Omentum or abdomen or peritoneal lining? How was the surgery?

I think it also depends on what surgery they are doing with the HIPEC. In my case they will be resecting my liver and doing a look see....remove adhesions...biopsies...and anything else they may happen to find.....not sure why the difference in hospital stays other than maybe the surgeries involved....I wonder if there are different forms of HIPEC?

cm, best wishes with your HIPEC surgery and recovery.....take care and you will be in my thoughts and hopes!

tmw, how are you doing? How are your recoveries going?

Rhonda, how are you doing??

HUGS!!!

Surgery went well, i had a full hysterectomy with small liver dissection at the base due to a tumor on the diaphragm that had attached to the liver. A few other scrapings in different areas also along with removal of dead tumor tissue in the pelvic area. All this after 2 years of chemo before i could have surgery.

HIPEC was for 90 minutes following surgery. They close you up and leave 2 small openings where they send in the heated chemo and then do a massage of your stomach so that it gets into all areas. Rinse it out and complete the close up. I had a epidural for pain management which i was able to come off of after 2 full days, completed the third day in the hospital on pill form of pain management.

Have been in remission since with an up and coming CT the first week of February. I feel good and keep praying i stay the same.

How long was your recovery? Where did you have the HIPEC surgery? It sounds good.

Went back to work after 6 weeks and did 2 rounds of chemo. My surgery was done at the Cleveland Clinic.

I was told 3-4 days, but my stay was a week because I had a drop in blood pressure two days after surgery, just a fluke thing. Was able to be up and walking, felt good to go home!

tmw, thank you so much for the great information...you really have helped me with insight into this surgery! You have helped to lift my spirits tonight, I have been pretty anxious today...my HIPEC surgery is on Monday! HUGS!!

Rhonda, how are you doing??

tmw, you will be in my thoughts and hopes! HUGS!!

debls-pray, stay stong, stay positive and take care of yourself...I did really well thanks to my stong support system, a magnificant doctor, and prayer. I exercised all through chemo (walked daily) and began again 6 weeks after surgery. Everyone is different, dont let sad news get you....there are many miracles waiting to happen.
Prayers are with you, good luck! Let us know how every thing turns out.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders