hernia in scar tissue

I had surgery to remove a 15cm tumor in Jan. 2008. It was stage III oc. I am, after chemo, "cancer free". However, I have developed a honking big hernia in my scar tissue. I am to have surgery Aug 12, 2008 to correct this. I was having pain from this when I scheduled the surgery on July 7th. Now I am feeling fine but look pregnant at age 61! What a laugh!!!!! Should i go ahead with the surgery? I like feeling good again. I hate to be laid up for two weeks to a month in the summer.

Karenelaine

14 replies. Join the discussion

I also have a hernia in my surgery scar. I'm in no pain and it no longer is bulging out. I have heard that it can become very important to have it removed before it gets any worse. My brother has had 1 so far and has stated to me over and over,if it is bothering you have it removed before it becomes strangulated and a much more serious problem. Sorry about you losing your summer. (((hugz)))~~~Joanne

Thanks!

I know I have to be intelligent about my health and be proactive, like taking care of a hernia before it is a big problem. I was just hoping maybe someone would say you can ignore this problem! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Karenelaine

Just had a hernia repair ... popped up just to the left of my naval. The surgeon put in mesh along a major portion of my scar. As he thought it would, the scar looked like swiss cheese on the underside, so this larger repair should take care of future hernias from this scar. I had laparoscopic surgery .. and my ONC/GYN looked around at the same time. I was released the next day and had considerable pain for a several days and actually found that XS Tylenol worked better than oxycontin. Two weeks out and all is healed, but there are a couple tender spots that will take a little longer internally to heal. Hope this helps. Judy

Hi Karenelaine~ I too have a hernia, just to the left of my incision scar. It is quite large and I look pregnant. I've had the hernia for several months and my onc. says it is large enough that there's no risk of strangulation so it's fine to live with it until and unless I become uncomfortable and want it fixed. I was dx in November 2006, Stage IIIC. I've been no evidence of disease although this month my CA125 has risen above 20 which could very well mean I'm headed for a relapse. I elected not to have the hernia repair because I just couldn't bear the thought of another major abdominal surgery. You might ask your doctor to explain the risks--if there are any--of leaving your hernia be for now. Also, my doc is quite adamant that the surgery shouldn't be done while or immediately following chemo because of the increased risk of infection etc. Evidently hernia mesh-related infections are more than a remote possibility. Good luck with your decision.

Hi,

I also have a hernia and when I discussed it with my doctor he felt that unless it bothered me, I should not have the surgery at least not for awhile. His reason for avoiding the surgery was that the mesh could cause a problem if I ever had a recurrence and needed more surgery. I was diagnosed in 2/06 at IIIb and so far I am fine, but I decided to go the conservative route and avoid the hernia surgery. I do know someone who had the hernia six years after her original diagnosis and she is fine.

Good luck.
Katie

Hi Karenelaine, how is your hernia fix going? Since last year I developed a very big hernia, I just wondering what kind surgery need to fix it, open up or others? The doctor said no pain no fix, let me wait for the symptom to show up, recently I do feel pain in abdominal area. So I guess it's time to fix it. By the way how long did it take you to recover? How do you feel now?
Thanks very much.
Maysea

I was much more comfortable when I had the surgery. I advise that you think about it. The recovery was just as bad as recovering from the debulking surgery. I was in the hosp. for 4 days. I came home with drains in me. I didn't like dealing with them! It was a good six weeks before I felt right.

Hope I am being helpful.

Good bless!

Karen

Appreciated your info, Keren. It seems is a open up surgery. I will take your suggestion to think about it, just it takes long to recover. By the way, how is your belly looks like now? My belly looks like 6 month pregnant.
Thanks again,
Maysea

My belly is smaller, but I still have a punch. I don't have a bellybutton anymore.

Karen

Thanks so much Karen. I guess the punch is inside your belly, right? It seems to me everything is normal except without a bellybutton. Could you do normal exercise? such as hold a baby,play tennis, walking, running...

I can do all the exercise you mention plus I take 2 hours per week of water aerobics and I walk 2 or 3 miles a day.

Karen

The last time I was up to see the gyne onc I had yet another ct- he told me then that I have a hernia started. I had been having tons of abdominal pain (in different spots ) and now that they are under control Im trying to figure out what is normal for me once again. I thought yesterday that when I go back up in March Im going to take along a permanent marker and ask that he draw a circle around the area of the hernia so i can determine if thats what is hurting or something else. Hate that you all have hernias in the scar tissue, but glad that Im not alone. I figured it was just due to my swollen abdomen and the effects of all the treatments.
So now the big question is, what color marker should I take?

Melissa

WOOOW!! Karen, you are great!! Walk 2 to 3 miles a day! I wish I could do that after my hernia being fixed. Your experience is such an inspiration! Thanks again for you sharing.

For Melissa, I would like to let you know I like red color and I think that's a good idea.

About 8 months after my surgery(which was in 2004), I had a hernia, very uncomfortable & protruding. I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. Surgeon did the hernia repair; my wonderful gyn-oncologist came and did a 2nd look, and since everything looked good, before they sewed me up, my good friend & fabulous plastic surgeon (who was 8 months pregnant at the time) came and did a tummy tuck. Everything has proceeded well. Shela

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders