hernia after debulking surgery

I was diagnosed with "stage 3 ovarian" in 2009 when my gyn went in to remove a "cyst" on my ovary. He called in an oncologist during the surgery and she did a debulking. She did a horrible job and I have a horrible scar on my stomach. It was recommended that I do chemo but I chose not to since chemo has killed 2 of my sisters. 3 months later I developed a blockage in my intestines from the scar tissue because of the surgery. She did the surgery without my permission and now I have a hernia that the doctors say would be risky to repair. She would not treat me for the blockage and insisted that the cancer had come back. I had no alternative but to take the chemo because I was going to die due to the blockage. After surviving chemo I was fortunate enough to be able to find someone to help me cure the cancer with alternative means. The only problem I have now is the scar tissue and the hernia. I've tried to research how to deal with it but there's not much information. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reply Report post

29 replies. Join the discussion

I've had two hernias since my original debulking surgery. The only way I know to repair them is by surgery. Please keep looking for a reputable surgeon to help you.

Reply Report post

We're you aware that you are supposed to wear a "belt" right after surgery to give the wound time to heal? I was never told of this.

Reply Report post

I've had an incisional hernia on my hysterectomy scar that strangulated and I had to have emergency surgery. Since then I have had 2 more hernias. I believe they are all related to the surgery and stuff afterwards. Other than praying a hernia won't strangulate surgery is the only option I know. Be careful with the things you pick up. After my 2nd & 3rd hernias almost became strangulated I was given this wide belt to wear as tightly as possible all the time. The only time I could take it off was when I got in the shower.
Scar tissue is also very common after any kind of surgery and can be very annoying and sometimes painful.
Do find a good surgeon and take care of yourself.

Reply Report post

I have a large hernia above my navel from my debulking surgery. I have had this looked at by 2 surgeons and my oncologist. It causes me some problems when I am already having bowel issues and have a bloated belly. But Doctors seem reluctant to repair them unless they are strangulating your organs or causing severe pain. If this is your case I would say you either need to insist loudly or find a Dr. that is willing to do it. Or explain why not! I believe that surgery is really the only fix. Sometimes they want to put in mesh to hold the area back, I would be leery of this. I myself do not want any more foreign objects inside of me. Have heard there can be problems with the mesh.

Good luck and blessings, Lil

Reply Report post

What kind of alternative means cured your cancer?

Reply Report post

I had hernia surgery a year and a half after my chemo ended. No problem. I was heading to Mexico, and didn't want to risk any problems from lifting something. I wanted to return to an active life.

Reply Report post

I have a very large hernia that developed after debunking surgery and quite literally, I look about seven months pregnant. It is not painful, but it is extremely uncomfortable. My gym onc told me it can be repaired but not while I am on chemo. Similarly, my gallbladder needs to be removed but the surgeon won't do it while I am on chemo.

Reply Report post

No. No one ever told me anything about wearing anything to keep the scar in tact until it healed. As a result the scar weakened and the hernia developed and since the surgeon did such a horrible job a hernia developed that cant be fixed

Reply Report post

Thank you. I am sorry that you have had so much trouble. The ones that cut on us have no idea what they are leaving us to deal with. I would have never had the surgery if they had given me the option. I knew enough about cancer that I would have done alternative before anything else but I wasn't given the option. Now I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life while she goes about her merry way.

Reply Report post

Thanks. I believe also that there is no good that comes from foreign objects inside our bodies including other peoples hands and instruments. I wouldn't have had the surgery if I had been given the option. Now I will be living with this for the rest of my life. The reason surgeons don't want to do surgery after such an extensive operation is because they know the damage that is done during a debulking. One doctor told me that since they just throw your parts back in there is nothing that they are adhered to and the intestines etc float up to the top of your stomach and attach themselves to the diaphragm wall. In order to go in and repair a hernia they will have to undo all the attached organs and it will be another horribly delicate intensive procedure. And if you die there would be a possible Mal practice suite. So here we are.

Reply Report post

Nutrition, supplements, and a wonderful chiropractor that introduced me to other "doctors" who know the truth about the cancer industry and what their actual goal is.

Reply Report post

The general surgeon I saw for my incisional hernia, explained to me why many women get incisional hernia's after our OVC surgery.

He said that when we start Chemo so soon after such major surgery, it literally stops internal healing in its tracks. (I started Chemo 3 wks after my hysto/appectomy and have an 18in incision.)
So you are not as healed inside as it appears on the outside. Makes perfect sense if you think about it. I was given no information beyond the immediate info I was given a week after I left the hospital. That was primarly about wound care both after I left the hospital and after they removed the staples.

I never saw anyone other then my gyno/onc and she was real unconcerned about the surgery or my incision.
As a matter of fact I complained VERY loudly about how barbaric their method was for removing my 110 staples. That will never happen again. The nurse was lucky I didn't punch her in the face. And I'm really tough not a baby at all and rarely cry.

8 months out of Chemo I think about how some things were handled and I wish I would have found this site sooner. There is so much knowledge on this site.

Keep up the fight Teal Sisters

Sweet

Reply Report post

Yea There should be some sort of legal retribution we should be able to get for the "barberic" way all of us are handled. Like I said ...I didn't even get a vote on whether they had permission to gut me or not. I haven't found a surgeon that will touch my hernia. I have a real difficult time dealing with the anger.

Reply Report post

Never heard such a thing as wearing a belt after debulking surgery or any other I have had to date i.e. 3. Where did you hear this???

Reply Report post

I had to wear a very wide, velcro type band after both surgeries and I'm expecting it again after next weeks surgery. It really helps you be able to move around.

Reply Report post

ccdatty: Robyn is correct. The General Surgeon that is repairing my Hernia said I should have worn the belt they gave me at the hospitial for at least 3 months after my surgery. I have to wear it now prior to surgery. Then will wear it up too 3 months after surgery. The belt is just something that holds your stomach in. There is some great shape wear out there that does the same thing.
Best Wishes;
Sweet

Reply Report post

I wore the belt and still got a hernia. In fact, I had four of them. I think they are just very common after surgery.

Reply Report post

Y'all are making me appreciate my small town docs once again!

I'll admit I've wondered if part of the reason they're not more careful is that they don't expect us to survive anyway.

But honestly, my surgery started at 7:30 pm (some emergencies came before me), and went until midnight, was apparently quite difficult, messy, so much cancer. And the surgeon was probably exhausted. But he did a pretty good job. When they take the omentum out, that is partly why things don't stay in place very well anymore. It holds our gut in.

Reply Report post

Hernias are very common, I never realized I was supposed to wear a band, because i was in the hospital over a month and too sick to question the band. I wonder if I had kept in on during chemo if I would not have a hernia now or at least a smaller hernia.

What I think contributed to the hernia was weight gain from all the steroids during chemo (30 pounds I can't get rid of.) Mine is also uncomfortable, but not painful. I have a whole drawer full of elastic bands I wear almost all the time, sometimes just to keep me from looking pregnant. (they also hide the 'muffin top.')

Currently on second line chemo and surgery is not an option.

I hope you find a competent surgeon to fix it. I'd sure like mine fixed!!

Reply Report post

I was never told about the belt after surgery. And that upsets me. I found out about it on this site! I am tiny, had a 15 lb tumor, omentum, lymph nodes and complete hysterectomy. My surgery was 1-30-12. Have the 10 1/2 inch vertical scar. (I'm only 5'5", 102 lbs). I also packed and moved one month after surgery...had I known about the abdominal binder sooner I believe my healing would've been going much better....I have adhesions and scar tissue. Am doing two things for that: thiosinaminum 12C homeopathic (recommended by my natural MD) and a Chinese oil zheng gu shui I put on my abdomen every eve.
There is a reason they call the surgery "the mother of all surgeries."
I was not given enough "post op" instructions. Especially as I was backin the hospital 2 weeks post surgery with complications.
I am praying for you. The abdominal support helps.

Reply Report post