Has anyone used just carboplatin for chemo for OVCA?

In 2002, that was what was used. Then they added the big guns after that, then IP for administration. I am freaking out about Taxol side effects. Anyone ever do acupuncture for the side effects? Other supplements?
I am really scared. My husband is groom and doom about all of this. He is scared for me, but a know a lot of you have powered through all of this.

6 replies. Join the discussion

You will get a lot of responses on this. Most all of us had or have carbo/taxol as the first (only??) treatment. For me, 6 of each, every 3 weeks. Had one blip when my platelets went way down and I had to wait for 2 extra weeks between #4 and #5. The blood built back on its own. But my doc reduced the last 2 taxols by 20% and my platelets stayed very normal. As you know it is all cumulative, so I got more fatigued each time, only to feel really good on the day of the next dose. I'm fortunate: basically had minor aches and no nausea at all. No hair, but now it is coming back...slowly!

P.S. You will get more to respond if you change your post to "members". Lots of folks don't want to be surfed. :)

I don't know which side effects were from which/ carbo/taxol.
Maybe you will get a response from someone who has been on it alone.
With the combo as Shorekat mentioned, fatigue, hair loss- that's the taxol,
blood drops so you have to have neulasta. And I didn't have any nausea-
I'm strange so instead I had an aversion to food. My brain would just tell
me 'don't even Think about putting that cracker in your mouth!' so I didn't
and lost 5 sizes in clothes! Scale didn't reflect it much cause I must have
big heavy bones or big head or something although I'm a small person 5'2"
and slim. So I was an absolute toothpick. Just don't know what that was
all about. Back to my reg plump hips now.
You will get over the hump and get to the other side....sounds like we
all do. Persevere!
Hearts

I believe most gyn/onc think a duo of Carbo/Taxol is more potent for frontline chemo these days. I was in a clinical trial with Avastin a new drug that is not chemo and had a 21 mo. remission. I recurred and am on Carbo/Doxil with very few side effects. I do have an acupuncturist but didn't go to him. I had no nausea or vomiting. Fatigue is the big problem and I have no idea how to get around that except lots of sleep and lots of water (64ozs per day) I did have neuropathy from the Taxol and it came back with the recurrence but that is little compared to the wonderful quality of life I have!

My husband is the cheerleader variety and keeps telling me I will be the other side of the stats that survives long term. At first I didn't believe it but I do today!

Bless you with peace, comfort and strength,

Marty

I had both for 3, then had to stop the taxol due to side effects. My body just could not take it. So finished with 3 of carbo

Just finished four rounds of single agent carbo for first recurrence.
Ca125 went from 130 to 18 after first round .... 10 after three rounds.
Had a scan just before round 4 and it shows that the "abnormal enhancement" and ascites I had on the scan used to diagnose recurrence appears not to have changed much. So I am thoroughly confused. My ca125 is now normal but scan the same ??

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders