Has anyone else experienced cramps after hysterectomy

I had my hysterectomy three years ago and I still feel like I am having period cramps. They use to come on just once or so a month but now it is daily. I talked to my OBGYN and asked him about this and he said that it was inpossible to be feeling that. But I am and was wondering if any of you had felt this as well.

36 replies. Join the discussion

i had a total hysterectomy but they left the ovaries, i thought that was called a partial but my doctor says its a total. anyway they removed the uterus, tubes, cervix, and had to reconstruct my bladder as my uterus had gotten so large it attached itself to the bladder. it was awful...a 16 months have gone by and two months ago i began to cramp once a month for a couple days ... i feel like i am ovulating once a month and two weeks later i will have cramps like i have my period. this week the cramping has gotten worse...what is going on? i swear my doctor looks at me like i stupid.....i am so glad other people are going through this. i have actually had to take something for the cramping ... just tylenol, but still i had to take something. i am calling the doctor on monday ... but any suggestions would help. thanks ladies!

every month about the time i would have had my monthlys i get period like pains and i had a total hyst july 08

This is just amazing!!. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and have had cramping in the same lower left side that goes into my thigh area ever since the surgury. The gyno swears this cannot be since there is no uterus. i beg to differ. I'm really getting concerned because the cramping is daily now and it's increased in intensity. I guess it's time to go back to see a new gyno. It's a relief to know i am not imagining this. Thanks ladies for sharing your stories.

I had cramps ,had a ct scan found mass in my cecum on July 2 , not very big, no one was to worried . By July 28 I was obstructed. Started on gemzar and cisplatnum right away and cramps subsided and I can eat again . I hope this helps

I had a partial hysterectomy 15 years ago because my endometriosis was so bad. Since Sept. 2009 I have been having problems which include cramping. Like some of the responses my new OB/GYN said it was impossible since I had no uterus. She diagnosed me with OAB, Vulvadynia and Menopause all because of my age (55) and put me on many meds , including HRT. She said that she was the expert (BTW - she is much younger than I am) and at my last visit said that she didn't have time to talk to me about it further. I went to see a urogyn and another OB/GYN at the menopause clinic and found out that the first doctor couldn't have been more wrong. I have been diagnosed with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) due to the history of endometriosis and the HRT was the worst thing that could have been prescribed. I am now on Neurontin which helps. I know that surgery might help once again and am following up with the doctor who treated me 15 years ago. She had moved away but is now back.

My point being, find another doctor if the one you go to vehemently tells you that what you know is going on is impossible.

had cramps just like period cramps about two months after my surgery in july 2009. Gyn Onc said this was expected. well after two weeks of continuous cramps, he orders a cat scan. My cat scan and subsequent pet scan shows tumors and lymph nodes with hypermetabolic activity. so now Im going to memorial sloan kettering before getting 2nd surgery,

INSIST ON A CAT SCAN IMMEDIATELY.
good luck and my hope and wishes are with you that all is ok.

I have the same occasionally. After surgery, your remaining organs reposition themselves. Most likely the cramping is coming from the bowel-nothing to worry about though. I found this to be the case with me.

Thank heaven someone else feel this too ! I thought I was crazy and that maybe I had "Phantom pain" like when someone loses a limb and it still itches.

Well we cant all be nuts, right?

Melissa

i have had these cramps a couple of times a yr. It has been 4 yrs since my total hysterectomy. My mother had the same problem. It just feels nuts to be this far out of surgery and still taking meds, using heating pad, and laying down. I love that your male Dr. said it is not possible to feel this, since he never had ovaries.

When an amputee loses an extremity it's called "ghost pain." Could the cramping we all feel be similar? I believe losing your uterus and/or ovaries is just as drastic as losing an arm or a leg. It could also be ovulation in my case since my surgery only took my uterus. Why hasn't there been more research on this?

Whew!!! I am relieved to know that I am not imagining this. I had a hysterectomy in 2001. I have noticed that on occassion, I do have menstrual like symptoms, and occassionally, I have seen some spotting. Yes, the cramps in the abdomen and sometimes in the back feel as if I am about to start my period. My doctor's did not explain much to me and I had a female dr. at the time toboot!! They told me very little.

I am hurting as we speak! i almost had to threaten my doctor to give me an ultrasound. he didn't find anything, but he did manage to make me feel like a looser... I was so upset, How do they know how we feel. I have period cramps every month... i shouldve kept the ovaries and uterus. He said maybe i should see a pelvic doctor. PLEASE HELP if you know any secrets..

I too have cramps, right now as I write this. I had a hysterectomy at least 22 years ago now, my doctor said I'm in menopause so I hope that the cramps have something to do with that. Also I do have a bladder that has fallen, so having to urinate isn't real easy either, sometimes feels like I haven't emptied it all and I sometimes have to stand somewhat to finish urinating, hope this is all due to menopause and fallen bladder. The cramps feel as though a period is coming on. Anyone else having the same issues? Help relieve me being scared, probably makes the cramps worse being worried about it too.

Hi, did anyone ever find out if cramps after a partial hysterectomy during menopause is normal?

I to have them just like menstrual cramps, even pain in the lower back which scared the heck out of me the first time it happened. If I try to lift something to heavy the adhesions tear a bit and that causes bad pain. Girlsclub: Love the picture, my favorite show in the world. Doctor told me this is normal and everyone is different in the level and degree of cramping ect.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has cramps during menopause. These hot flashes sure are the pits too, night sleeping sure has been a HUGE issue with them, wakes me up every time I go into one of those hot flashes/night sweats, nasty. Thanks for the info on others having cramps during menopause, helps me feel better knowing it's probably menopause related.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders