Has anyone else experienced cramps after hysterectomy

I had my hysterectomy three years ago and I still feel like I am having period cramps. They use to come on just once or so a month but now it is daily. I talked to my OBGYN and asked him about this and he said that it was inpossible to be feeling that. But I am and was wondering if any of you had felt this as well.

36 replies. Join the discussion

I still have those cramps too. It's been 2 1/2yrs since my surgery. My dr says that more than likely it's scar tissue still healing.

Take care & God Bless

Dear CountryGirl, don't you just love it when a doctor dismisses what you KNOW is going on in YOUR body? I'm afraid his attitude would have me changing doctors.

Okay, so it is obviously not your uterus that is cramping. That doesn't mean you are imagining things. I would ask for some tests to rule out other problems. Maybe a CT scan. It could just be adhesions, but if it were me, I would want to know for sure.

I don't think you should be experiencing this kind of daily discomfort. I hope you get some answers and a doctor who will take you seriously.

Good luck.

Thanks Dodie for telling me that, I knew that I was not imaging this.

Jennali, I agree, it is so irritating when doctors don't listen to you. Some times they act like they know what you are feeling and don't hear a word your saying. I am seeing him again tomorrow morning, yes on a Sunday, I started draining again from my incision (a surgery I had 7/31) and he wants to see me in the morning to see if he is going to have to open it up again. So while I am there I am going to talk to him about it again. He really is a very good doctor despite the fact that he dimissed this cramping. I will let you know what he says the second time I bring it up to him.

I had that cramping right after surgery and I chalked it up to the surgery and recovery. That wasn't the case. I had an infection. I went into the hospital again, for 5 days and they had to insert a draing tube and heavy duty antibiotics.
Don't let anyone tell you that you are not feeling something. Change doctors right away if he's not listening! Find someone who will listen and make you feel better!
Good luck!

YOU have pelvic cramping. Could it be adhesions? Could it be a small partial obstruction? I have heard of both, could he do a CT scan instead of saying not possible? It is something causing you this discomfort . Good luck

I am soooo glad to add to this discussion. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago this Nov. and my cramps are bad. My doctor said scar tissue from the surgery. It is only on the right side where the cancer was on my ovary. It seems to be getting worse that better. It seems to be better after a bowel movement. My doctor said bowel adhesions. Are there any exercises to do to make it better? I had a colonosopy 1 month ago to rule anything else out. It came back clean. My last CT scan came back clean, but it did say multible lymph nodes that were smaller than last scan of l year ago. What does this mean? I guess that is why I am so alarmed about the cramping.

I also have pelvic crampiness and just recently have had some slight bloodiness in the vaginal area. I don't know if it is cancer related or not. I have heard that adhesions and/or scar tissue can develop many months, years after surgery and cause pain.

I sometimes feel cramping too. Feels like I'm about to start my period. Weird, huh?

I am going to start asking around to other ladies that have had a hysterectomy for other reasons than cancer and see if they have these cramps as well. If you know anyone ask them and let me know

Hi

Yes, I have what feels alot like menstrual cramps from time to time. It's kind of like a cruel irony, a bit like when amputees feel pain in the missing limb. I think that it's probably normal to feel sometimes but I don't know about every day.

Brandi

I am sure glad to read this post! I too have cramping and nothing there to cramp. Not every day but almost monthly. Its been 1 1/2 years so I occasionally wonder why the heck that is happening. Phantom or scar tissue? Good thoughts and definately good to know I'm not imagining things! I'll ask my gyn at my next visit to see what he has to say.

WOW! I was up half the night from sharp cramping pains and I had my hysteretomy over 3 years ago........ I was told that it was all in my mind. Im glad to know that Im not alone! Thanks!

Has anyone gone out to www.hystersisters.com? I really was on it alot after my hysty. They answered alot of questions.

I get that every so often. It's like I really feel like I'm geting my period. My doc said it could be adhesions. I see him on Oct. 5th

I get aches and soreness. I'm told it's scar tissue.

I had a partial hyst 24 yrs ago. In Jan this year I had debulking for OVCA which included removal of ovaries, appendix, omentum, yada. I swear they took my intestines out, tied them in 3 knots, and returned them to my ab cavity. I had a constant "tautness" in my abdomen for what seemed like months. Worse when lying down. That disappeared and seems now to be back. Only at night. During the day I almost forget all about it. It's not cramps, more like a tautness. Not pain, more like discomfort. Enough that it awakens me. My CT looked good. CA-125 is stable. When I mention it to my doc/RN, they give me a blank look and no response. So now, after reading this, I'm wondering if it is adhesions/scar tissue? I can deal with that...I just don't want it to be recurrence.

I sometimes have a crampy feeling, though it's very fleeting and doesn't happen often. I also sometimes have the sensation of a "ghost ovary" on my right side, where the tumor was. I've heard other women mention this. If I had the crampy feeling every day, I would definitely want a CT scan.

I try to spend some time every evening relaxing my abdomen through deep breathing, and massaging the areas where I think there is the most scar tissue. That seems to help a bit.

I want to thank everyone for the new responses that I have been getting. When I first started this discussion I was cramping all the time, well I have gone back to just cramping every once in a while. It turned out I was having a serious problem with an incission from my July 31st surgery. I am on the mend from that but the cramps still come and go. I believe that it could have alot to do with scar tissue. Maybe if the scar tissue is hooked to a nerve that had been attached to my uterus. It just subsitutes the signal now that I am having cramps. Does this make any sense to anyone?

It does make me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this, although I wish that none of us were experiencing it.

I'm glad to see this discussion. I had my hysterectomy Nov. 08. I have cramping off and on. It is usually after walking a long time. I asked about it, got checked out and all it can be attributed to is scar tissue.

Lisa

Lisa, how did you get it checked out? My understanding is that adhesions don't usually show up on CT, and that the only way to diagnose them is a laparoscopy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders