hair

I noticed more on my arms, it used to be in one area of my arms then when it grew back it was all over. It was blonde and kind of had a mind of it's own. I also got it on my hands and fingers and somewhere else!

I've also noticed the facial fuzz, which I cannot stand. Do you ladies think it will fall out on it's own? It doesn't seem like its going anywhere..

23 replies. Join the discussion

Hi,
I finished first line chemotherapy a year ago and unfortunately still get facial fuzz!I remove it with creams.
Although it still recurs it is not as bad as it was initially- definitely not a good look though!
Anne x

finished chemo in August of 2011. A few weeks ago ... I noticed that FINALLY I am back to pre chemo normal.
Almost 2 years to get back to straight hair that has to be washed everyday... and my eyebrows seem to be growing in the correct area (not all over my forehead) It will happen...normal will come again.

hugs...

d

Hate to tell you this, but, facial hair is a symptom of menopause, which you were surgically thrown in to. It's worse for some women, than others. Amazing how the hair goes from legs and arms to the face.
I use a little tool called, "Finishing Touch", to remove the hair, basically a little shaver, about the size of a majic marker, I just have an aversion to calling it "Shaving". LOL!! When I was younger, I waxed the upper lip and brows, and a few years ago, i had my entire face threaded, which really hurt. Now, I think because i'm older, my skin is more sensitive, and i'm more careful about damaging my skin.

Finished chemo, bald, never lost eyelashes or brows, lost everwhere else. Hair came back very dark, almost brunette. I started out as a very lt briwn to blond. I have yet to have any hair on my legs, undervarms or forearms. Kinda liking this! I dohave a " stachs" but was a litle fuzzy b4

I didn't lose all my hair until a month after I ended frontline chemo. The night before we were flying to Costa Rica. I first noticed the peach fuzz before we got back from our vacation. I went to Sally's supply store and bought some wax. It was easy but yikes! It grew back slower and I did it again. I have very little now at least on my face. Peachykeen is correct about menopause. I'm 66 so stopped my periods at 50 yrs old. I'm on Tamoxifen which is a drug that treats breast cancer. I've been having to shave my legs more than twice a week but very little fuzz.

Marty

Has anyone done/considered electrolysis? If so, what was it like?

Did you have the facial hair as well? or was the eyebrows just an issue?

I had tons of facial hair, but everything settled back down. My facial hair is almost white-blonde, so one the volume dropped back down, it wasn't an issue. I remember I used to have one dark coarse hair under my chin. I'd forget about it until it started to curl. Yuck! Of course, every hair on my head continued to be baby fine when it grew back.

Thank you Verlinda. Did it go back to the way it was before chemo? How long before you noticed?

Does anyone know why facial hair is a symptom of menopause? I had increasing facial hair before menopause and then it declined a little. However, now suddenly I find I am having to deal with it on a more regular basis.

I'm not sure to be honest with you. I've noticed it after completing chemo at the age of 24.

Your ovaries produce estrogen and progesterone which balances with testosterone. Without your ovaries, you now have more testosterone, which is the male hormone that causes facial hair. It's just an imbalance of hormones. If you had not been thrown into surgical menopause, you would have experienced the same thing, when you went through menopause naturally.

When I get peach fuzzy I usually just shave it off... no I have not noticed it coming back faster or thicker.
You know I was kind of annoyed when my armpit hair came back... now that seems to be back with a vengeance. UGH
OH... and the hair on my head makes me a cranky girl. It came back so wavy and curly that if I let it grow much more than 2 inches long it goes all crazy. I suppose I'll rock the pixie look until it decides to calm down. I'd try to deal with the curls but until I can find a curl cream that doesn't contain coconut derivatives (I'm allergic), I will just have to have short hair. Well, at least it dries quickly... always have to find the positive side... right?

The hair on my arms and legs came back like ive never seen! It has now returned to normal, not long after my last treatment. No facial hair.. well not alot, but im on hormones so that may have helped. Just hang in!

Thanks NikkIB79! I hope it gets better

It will get better! Your body is going thru the wtheck just happened stage.. lol isnt it crazy though? I told my family i had monkey arms because it was all over!! So didnt help the way i was feeling!! Just laugh it off.. thats all you can do.. :D

And you are most welcome doll!

I just finished chemo after my first recurrence, and my facial hair is ugly. I bought a nose trimmer that can be used as a shaver too ,about 10 dollars at Bed and BAth. I use it maybe 2 times a week. I would not wax my face ever as it pulls my skin. I tried treading 5 years ago, and it irritated my skin. My facial fuzz never went away.
I get a professional bikini was when I need it, makes me feel attractive again.

My hair, on my head,( need to be specific now) is coming back . I can not wait to use my natural hair dye from Whole Foods on it. The brand is Naturtint and it comes in a green box. Half a box at a time is plenty for short hair. In the mean time, BALD IS BEAUTIFUL, I actually say this 5 times a day. Let's all laugh a bit and hope that this testosterone imbalance has some good sides to it too. Congratulations on finishing your chemo!!!!!!!!!!! You are a WARRIOR NOW. Hugs, Amber 12

Lol! I already dyed my hair too! I think with the short hair a little lighter color suited me personally better. It came back so dark, with lots of gray. I instantly felt better about it being shorter and my awful first haircut... yes i went to get my my hair styled and begged the lady not to mess it up, explained this was my first haircut since my chemo was done, and she butchered it.. well, its uneven. At least its not a mullet anymore and the color i dyed it is close to my natural! lol!!

Hair, that lovely topic. I sobbed for two days after I cut my long tresses. It was the first true acknowledgement that I was sick. The chemo cocktail caused me to loose ALL my hair and after a while I grew to love it...so easy, I really only missed my eyebrows and eyelashes. First the hair came in baby soft and curly and completely unmanagable. After a few hair cuts it came back in straight and dark, just like the before the chemo. This time around I lost it all again, but the head hair is not coming in evenly. I think I might have developed "male pattern baldness"! LOL I tell my friends I am going to let one side grow long and then do a comb-over. I'll fit right in at the office!

Like last time I still miss my eyebrows and lashes, but those I can draw on and get falsies for! The chin hair has been around since menopause for me, 15 years ago. I just pluck them, especially those witch hairs which seem to grow 6 inches over night!

Thanks Amber and to all who shared their experience! I miss my long hair and can't wait till it's back but the short hair is very nice for this very hot July weather in Toronto!! I seem to have more hair in other places than I did before and I don't like it, people say that I probably feel that way since I was completely hairless for over 5 months! I just feel like a monkey!!!! I try not to complain to much because I am very thankful to be here, it's just after going through all this stuff you kind of want to be back to normal already.

I feel kind of lost lately and just out there. All different types of emotions and I don't feel the same as before. Even though it's hard, you ladies have helped me that in time it will be better and I just want to thank each and every one of you!!!! xoxo

Krysten

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders