False positives with pet scans

I have been having periodic pet scans which have come back negative, then in August I had a positive pet scan showing lesions in my liver that were "suspicious" and a tiny nodule on my lung (which has been in other scans, but had no uptake) that was "worrisome". My Dr. felt that the cancer had returned, but wanted a back up MRI. The MRI came back negative for liver lesions.
On Monday I had another pet scan, and the same silly thing happened. The sizes are the same if not smaller. What's up? I see my doctor tomorrow. Has anyone had problems with false positives? It's driving me insane!

10 replies. Join the discussion

I thought that MRI CT and PET are all different in their ability to show things. The PET is supposed to pick up things the others won't but I am curious ias well f false positives can happen.

CT, MRI and PET do have different abilities. But I guess the PET scan can "light up" or show uptake of the radioactive sugar even if you don't have cancer. It can show infections and I guess other things. The PET scan is not just used for cancer (that is what the PA told me that is in my gyn-onco office.)
My CA-125 was 10 last week, so I probably shouldn't worry, but when I had a recurrance a year and a half ago, my CA-125 was a 13.

Have never had a Pet scan, but know that 1 CT showed 1 liver cyst, and another showed two. My doc said it depends on how they do the slices, and that even comparing "sizes" gets subjective sometimes.

Please keep us advised as to your status. Good luck.

what about an ultra sound on the Liver. I had 2 small spots on my liver before my hysterecomy and they did an ultra sound. The findings were in clusive then surgery and they found that I was born with the spots and were not brought on by my oc stage 2 b

I had a CT scan that showed 2 enlarged lymph nodes but no tumors anywhere else. I had a pet scan that lit up the lymph nodes (this time 3 lymph nodes) but no other tumor activity showed up. My doctor is puzzled. I either just have an infection or I have stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. But I had my ovaries removed 2 years ago. So it would probably be peritoneal cancer. I'm BRCA1 and at higher risk for that cancer. My CA125 was 185. Does anyone think it could just be an infection since no tumors showed up anywhere than in the enlarged lymph nodes? Could this be a false positive? I'm having surgery on the 18th to find out.

I had a PET scan in May that showed something on my vertebra. My doctor sent me for a bone scan that showed nothing was there. When I had another PET in August the spot was gone. Sometimes a scan will show something but it is an anomaly that the machine produces.

My doctor believes that my scan was probably another false positive since one of the lesions in the liver is gone and the other has not grown, also the nodule on my lung is the same size. He suggested another MRI of the liver (the last MRI in August contradicted the pet scan and showed no lesions) and a CT guided needle biopsy of the nodule on the lung. Right now I am thinking about it.

I had a PET scan in June with several areas affected. One of those was my right shoulder, where I had rotator cuff surgery in April. there was moderate uptake there becaluse of all the healing going on.

My Doc is sceptical about Pet Scans because in the past they've indicated a need for surgery and once the patient was opened up there was nothing to remove.

I'm now havn=ing a biopsy 'friday although he says it can come out normal if they don't get the right tissue. Might follow with anoth CT. My ca is 6 so welll see, Ii's obvious they nee a number of tets to hea thm towards the nest step,Good Luck, Sue

I had a PET scan in June with several areas affected. One of those was my right shoulder, where I had rotator cuff surgery in April. there was moderate uptake there becaluse of all the healing going on.

My Doc is sceptical about Pet Scans because in the past they've indicated a need for surgery and once the patient was opened up there was nothing to remove.

I'm now havn=ing a biopsy 'friday although he says it can come out normal if they don't get the right tissue. Might follow with anoth CT. My ca is 6 so welll see, Ii's obvious they nee a number of tets to hea thm towards the nest step,Good Luck, Sue

I had a pet scan last May, which showed something questionable on my right lung (this after 5yrs with no problems and constant scrutiny). Dr. suggested a lung biopsy , which I scheduled & went to hospital, got prepped for it. The interventional radiologist did another scan before proceeding and saw nothing. he recommended leaving things alone; got dressed ,went home. 6 months later, no problems, CA125 last checked was 7. I am appreciative of conservative doctors.

Happy new year to all.
Shela

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders