Essiac Tea

The gentleman that fixes our satellite dish, and we have known for 15 years, swears by Essiac Tea. He said his father-in-law and another relative ?? have been in remission from their individual cancers as a result of drinking this tea.

I've heard of it, but doubt it will keep me in remission.

Does it interfere with chemotherapy?

Any thoughts ??

Judy Carson

26 replies. Join the discussion

I used essiac after my cancer would not go into remission. We had tried chemo after chemo, and radiation. Within a month my cancer started going away pretty quickly. I continued with my chemo regimans and had the suggested stem cell transplant we had already decided on. I still drink a course of essiac every few months or so. I feel like it did something. My blood counts stayed higher throughout treatments than they had been and my neuropathy went away. I don't know if that is what put me in remission or if it was the different chemo regiman kicking in, but I have not completely ruled it out. According to my doctor, none of the ingredients iterefered with chemo. The doctors at md anderson also allowed me to drink it throughout my stem cell treatment. I will be cancer free 2 years this july, so all I can say about it is it won't hurt to at least try it. Let me know if you do and how it turns out. Good luck

Where do you get this tea and what does it taste like?
I just finished my chemo and I'm looking for anything that might help me keep cancer free!

The lady who invented this tea is named Rene Caisse.
She lived in Canada and used her concoction on
patients in a clinic there. Essiac is her last name spelled backwards.
If you go on the internet and do a search for Rene Caisse or essiac tea you will find places where you can order the tea. You will also find capsules of
the tea that you can take instead of brewing the tea.
Essiac International seems to be a a good source for the product.
I was told of a lady with breast cancer who chose
to use the tea instead of chemotherapy and she
is in remission.

I have heard a lot of positive things about essiac tea and cancer. So I agree with stephwetzstein it is at least worth a try.

I never tried it though. I did Ginger root tea and I know that it helped me. My Gyno Onc. and I tested what the reaction was to it with my body via blood tests.We discovered that the tea was acting kinda like a little natural chemo. I drank it once a day, every day for about a year. I probably should still drink it but I haven't lately. The nice thing about it is you can make it at home and don't have to order anything. You just buy fresh ginger root at the grocery store or health food store. Cut off about 25 1/2 inch cubes. Boil them in 7 cups of water and let it stew for an hour or so. then strain out the ginger and you have your ginger tea. I add a packet of apple cider to give it a better test. So store it in the fridge and once a day pour out a cup of ginger tea, warm it up and drink.

Doing other things in cojuntion with one of these teas would help them to work better like reducing your sugar intake (especially high fructose corn syrup) and reducing or eliminating caffeine.

I ordered through ESSIAC CANADA INTERNATIONAL
You don't have to drink much daily. 4 ounces or so I think is what I did. It has a woodsy taste, but very managable. I took it like shots:) I have heard the pills do not give the same results. You can order the stuff to brew your own or the premade. Pre made is much better. I could never get the grit out on my own. Google that company. It is supposed to be the original recipe from rene caisse and it is manufactured in Canada where it originally started. Good Luck, let me know what you decide

Thank you for your replies. I understand those individuals I referred to call a phone #. I will pass it along when I get it. Evidentally, there are imposters out there so be careful.

I also have family in Canada (in-laws) who I am going to contact to see what they know.

Anything that helps the drugs is a good thing. I will check into the ginger tea as well.

Thanks so much

Judy

I just walked in the door from a presentation on Herbs and Cancer, presented at Anschutz Cancer Center in Denver. Essiac Tea was discussed. NCI, Sloan Kettering and Canadian studies found no proven cancer benefits, but neither does it hurt. It appears that its only benefit is psychological/placebo. Ginger actually seems to be better, in terms of proven cancer benefit. Ginger increased cell death in ovarian cancer (in vitro). Green tea was also positive in cancer benefit. Astragalus (huang ch'i) stimulates every phase of the immune system. Of all the herbs that were discussed, it seemed that there were more that we should not be taking, than ones that we should.

HI, I am curious .. did they talk about colostrum and transfer factor at your convention? I had ovarian and uterine cancer. I am curious. Do you also believe in keeping your body alkaline? and do you think that this has a large impact on cancer?

I saw my oncologist today and asked her about the essiac tea. She said she can not say on the record that she thinks there may be something to it since it is not recognized by recognized scientically conducted studies BUT she said her patients who have drank the tea made from the roots, not the capsule...she mentioned a kit, have not had recurrences to the degree that those who don't use it. She has a PhD in nutrition in addition to being a gynecological oncologist so I think she has more nutritional background than most doctors. She did advise me to wait till after chemo to start supplements but was in favor of those too...glucosamine, glutamine, and some others. She said she would be glad to review anything I had in mind and I am very excited about that. Where do you get the kit with the root that you steep? I did look up Essiac Canada International but only saw drops, powder, and capsules. Maybe the powder works.

Thank you for your wonderful update. I am getting in touch with the fellow who told me about the "tea". He said you need to call a phone # ... or at least that is what his relatives do. He said DON'T buy it from one of the "health" stores. You need to make sure it's the real thing.

I'll also contact my Canadian family to start them researching it.

I'm going away for a week before seeing my MD and discussing chemo, etc. so it may be awhile before I get back to ya.

Thanks again.

Judy C

Thanks for the help with the essiac tea!

Hey Girls,

I don't like to pop anyone bubble; but, you should check out these sites before ordering Essiac Tea. The FDA is stepping in on what they call cancer snake oil treatments... and, Essiac is listed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/06/17/cancer.fraud.ap/index.html

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/factsheets/fakecancercures.html

Sorry I didn’t get this to you sooner. Jill

Thanks for the information.

Personally, I would not take the tea without the knowledge of my MD .. and probably not while in active treatment as they did not want me to drink any anti-oxidants while taking treatment. And I must go back to our friend who has 2 relatives in remission from different cancers who swear by Essaic Tea. The way I look at it, it can't hurt and just may help. I'm trying to find a reliable source for the tea ...

Judy C

I drank essiac tea from the time of my recovery from surgery in October 2004 until hurricane Katrina invaded my home in August 2005. I have done very well with no recurrences. I completed chemo in March 2006. Although I have not continued with essiac I would recommend it. Now I drink green tea and ginger tea and take Chinese herbs and supplements, including curcumin.

Hope everyone has a lovely day,
Martha

I have taken the tea since last Oct. I feel it gives me a feeling of well being which is difficult with this insidious disease, as you know. I have not had to take antidepressents. My oncologist says it is fine to take, I brew my own with herbs sent to me by a woman in Montana who mixes her own. I take 6 oz per day mixed with 4 ozs of warm water. I don't miss.
My ca 125 has been rising for a year now and ct still shows ned, actually last Sept it showed a small tumor but after great discussion with dr we decided to hold off on chemo. Amazingly in Dec had another ct scan and where the tumor appeared to have been, the contrast filled in and they said it was a diverticulum!!! I don't know if it is the tea or not, and ca 125 does continue to rise. I will not stop taking the tea that is for sure.

Could you let me know where you get the ingredients for the essiac tea? I just finished chemo 6 weeks ago and want to get on something fast to keep it in remission. Thanks.

I get mine from a woman named Elaine Rylin in Roundup, MT 406-323-2201
She mixes the dry herbs and packages it herself. I have never met her but the person who told me about it takes the tea for her Lupus and her mother takes it for her Parkinsons, both feel it helps them. That is the reason I get it from this woman...she seems very reliable. I would never buy it off the web.

Hello,

I was researching Essiac online and I came across this site…

My family is quite large and is loaded with a history of cancer, especially in women. Just to name one of many, my aunt currently has cancer in her lymph nodes, esophagus, stomach, and ovaries…

I’m 20 now, but when I was 18 my doctor told me that I have PCOS, which is Polycystic ovary syndrome. This means (in my case) that I menstruate maybe once a year, have ovaries with cysts, a hormone disorder, infertility problems, and I am at risk of cancer. My PCOS has been handled with daily exercise, birth control pills (to cause menstruation and lower the risk of cancer) and the idea of adoption (a good way to be able to have children in the feature).

Of course my mother worries about our family history of cancer and my PCOS. So she brought me a piece of paper with information about Essiac (Apparently its suppose to be really good for ovaries), in hopes of improving my situation a little more.

(THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MY REPLY THE OTHER STUFF CAN BE OVER LOOKED)

An extended family member with cancer has been drinking this tea for quite some time and is doing very well with it, he therefore offered it to my aunt. The fact that her cancer is terminal and is all over her body left her with a lot of pain and very little energy. Once she started her treatment, she also started drinking the Essiac tea. She is looking great, is doing well, getting out of the house, cooking and baking for her young boys, her stomach is not as large as it use to be, and the large amounts of fluid that she was producing because of the cancer seem to be decreasing. She is in better spirits and has really had a turn around.

Anyway, everyone seems to be looking for a reliable source for this tea…
So here is the information my uncle and aunt gave my mom about where they get their Essiac tea from..

The company is called… Natural Heritage Enterprises
The phone number is…. (888) 568 – 3036
The website is….. www.remedies.net

I don’t know if it’s the tea or the treatments, but my uncle and aunt are doing very well, so I hope this bit of information helps you as much as it has help them.

I wish you all the best of luck.
God Bless

Hello all, I am so glad others are using Essiac tea. I have been using it since last year and I have been in remission. Essiac tea contains sheep sorrell, burdock root, slippery elm, indian rhubarb and other things that are natural. It eases the effects of chemo, arthritis and asthma. Essiac does not interfere with anything else, but, it removes the toxins from the body. I use it everyday and I can say its so great that I have been selling it. I have the powder which is more cost effective than the one already in the bottle. Some people use the herbs in the bottle in their bath or as a facial.

You can buy the Canadian Essiac product in Shoppers Drug Marts in Canada without any prescription. I saw it in only two forms the powder to make the tea and pills. This is the "original" distributor with the formula as near to Nurse Caisse's as possible.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders