Enlarged Aorta Lymph Nodes

I just had MRI's because of pain I was having. It showed a problem with my aorta lymph node. I have a appt with the onc next Monday. Has anyone had a similar situation and what did they do? Chemo? biopsy? radiation? Any comments from anyone?

6 replies. Join the discussion

Rose,
I had enlarged aortic lymph nodes at my diagnosis and surgery (6-06) and they couldn't take them all out because of where they were located so they had to leave some behind. But they all shrunk to normal size after the initial 6 carbo/taxol treatments.

BUT...some of them enlarged again with my first recurrence (9-07) which also put tumors around my liver. You'd never know it from looking at me as I lead pretty much a normal life. I went back on carbo and everything is shrinking again. So...chemo should do the trick for you. I certainly hope so.
God bless you. Kelly

Rose.....I too have multiple enlarged/cancerous lymph nodes on my aorta that couldn't be removed during initial surgery on 1/23/08. Just had 2nd round of carbo/taxol yesterday. Oncologist will have either a PET or CT Scan after round 3 to see if they are shrinking. the initial PET did show that they are cancerous. The surgeon did say to keep radiation in the back of my mind but the Oncologist isn't in favor of that unless a last resort. Says that radiation will mess up small intestine.
Good luck.....Jeanie

Thanks so much for your comments.I will let you know after my appt on Monday, what I find out.

The gyn/onc in Madison had just declared me cancer free in Feb. When they ran these MRI's at a local hospital, we were kind of surprised with the findings. But as we all know with OVC.We never know when or where it will appear again. God Bless You!

Rose,
Just want you to know that I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. BarbF

Barb, thank you so much for your prayers. I cannot tell how much that means to me. As I know the Lord is in control, and it is prayers of His people that help make a difference in how I respond to the journey God has for me and my husband. (He is still having chemo, this is his week off. ) God is so good to us, and we know we are in his hands. Is 41:10 ((HUGS))

Rose,
I have had many CT scans and a PET/CT scan, but I don't know what an MRI will show that is different. The PET shows hypermetabolic activity (cancer activity gives off heat) and the CT shows enlargement. When you had your surgery was there lymph node involvement? Were you Stage IIIc? Are you referring to a peri-aortic node? What is the nature of the problem?
Please ask your doctor to explain the "problem," even draw you a picture of where your tumors are. The right Chemo should shrink tumors. They do radiation at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, but I'm not aware of place in the States where it is used for OC. Most gyn-oncs in the US will not subject you to more abdominal surgery just to remove active lymph nodes, as I understand their risk-benefit analysis, since the likelihood of chemo being effective outweighs the risks of the surgery.
Good luck to you--I hope you are able to understand this journey you are on and that will enable you to respond with peace.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders