Doxil works better with?

Some time ago I thought I saw some discussion about something taken with Doxil that increased its effectiveness. Does anyone recall or know a drug that makes Doxil work better? The search on this site is absolutely worthless and they may as well not even have a search. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Anyone taken Doxil when their doc thinks they are a gonner and had it work?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Doxil is the hot new way to treat recurrance. With carbo is better. I do recall some thread saying that taking Prozac helps too. But I'm not sure if it was with Doxil. Prozac is an anti-depressant which in some study or other claimed it made the chemo more effective.

Definitely it was prozac with doxil. If you google the 2 you should find the articles. One was from a study done in Israel. I am on both along with avastin. My doctor told me yesterday that he couldn't be happier with my progress. I thank God for that...

Happy New Year...
:)Kim

I'm pretty sure that it was momanderson920 who mentioned prozac with Doxil. She requested it from her oncologist and used it. Her results were positive, as I recall.

Thank you. It definately was Prozac.

I took it with carboplatin and it brought down my Ca125 from 396 to 23 in five treatments and negative PET scan in 3 treatments.

I took them both with prozac 10 mg. daily, some take 20 mg. Here is the article:
http://new.jpost.com/HealthAndSci-Tech/Health/Article.aspx?id=124811

Hello,
I posted this topic as well and my mom is now on 20mg of Prozac (you need to gradually increase to this ammount). The Prozac is suppose to be in your system for at least a month (or more) to have any affect on your ca125 levels.
Mom has now had 8 treatments of Caelyx (Doxil) and has been on Prozac for a month and half. She wished she knew about the Prozac earlier in the treatment though.
Yes, her ca125 levels have consistently been coming down while on Caelyx.
She will likely have another treatment and if levels are still presenting well, she will hold off another trial, of Avastin (and a secondary drug along with avastin)for now. Also, dr's have said they would like to wait 3 months before starting a new drug.
Happy New Year to you all!
Great to hear momanderson doing well!!
Hugs
Mimi

i just sent the article to my doctor and asked his opinion. He said there are a lot of drug interactions that they dont always know about. anything is possible. i said if he thought it was worth a try i would try it as i do have depression problems , he said why not. so i'll pick up the prescription today and see how it goes. I am currently taking doxil. Keeping my fingers crossed !

Another possibility is quercetin. See:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20447470

title:

Dietary quercetin combining intratumoral doxorubicin injection synergistically induces rejection of established breast cancer in mice.

This is a July 2010 abstract on Pubmed.

Have seen reports where athletes taking 1000 mg of quercetin daily had fewer colds etc. This suggests that this dose is quite safe.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders