does ascites always recur with a recurrence?

I was wondering how many women had ascites when first diagnosed and had it come back, and how many had a recurrence without ascites

17 replies. Join the discussion

I had ascites when diagnosed. No ascites when I recurred. Possibly because we started retreatment right away on the CA125 number rise as opposed to waiting.

I had a little ascites around my liver when I started, but haven't had any since, even though I've never been NED.

I never had ascites until the middle of my Avastin maintenance. It disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared!?!

Because of my ascites that is how I was first dignosed with ovarian cancer. I also discovered that my cancer was back after 4 months of remission due to my ascites returning. It seems everybody is different.

Two recurrences and never any ascites, but could have some now. Will find out in 3 weeks.

Five liters of ascites when diagnosed but also two recurrences and no ascites. Rising CA 125s and CT scans caught the recurrences.

Have only had a little fluid around my liver. Had it drained while in surgery. Came back again a little about a year ago. Have never been been in remission.

Ascites when I was diagnosed. 2 recurrences and both times a very small amount of ascites.

I had 2 liters of ascites removed during my initial surgery in 1987 but did not have any when I recurred in 1993.
Helen

Gallon of ascites drained during debulking surgery plus plural effusions on both lungs. No ascites since. Recurrence caught from rising CA125.

Ascites is what got me diagnosed. Didn't have any with first recurrence. 2nd recurrence has been different. Originally decided to do liver rfa but ca 125 went sky high; eventually started doxil when it was apparent that liver rfa didn't work. Doxil quit working at treatment #5 and ca 125 went through the roof. We then explored having a liver resection but pet scan showed ascites and spreading to spleen and other areas. Had ascites drained 3 weeks ago but it's back again even though I started taxol weekly the week I was drained. Have parenthecesis scheduled for Monday. I hope and pray the taxol will keep it gone this time. It has me pretty scared!

my mum has ascites again even though she was in remission for only 3 months, getting drained next week and having more ct scans, this disease sux!

Prior to my surgery, I needed two paracenteses, with almost 3.7 liters the first time and over 4 liters the second. I also needed two thoracenteses. That was in June, 2010 and have not had ascites again.

I had ascites when first diagnosed. A CT scan 5 months later found a 2cm mass, no ascites, Dr. let it go as he thought it was just resolving scar tissue. 2 months after that another CT scan found 6cm mass with ascites.....I think maybe the cancer has to get to a certain size to generate the ascites....if my Dr. had done surgery when I first recurred then there would have been no ascites.

Littlefox

I didn't have ascites either time. I waited 6 months after the CA125 began to rise befor taking Chemo.

did your tumors show up on the cat scan? how much did your ca 125 rise? was it a steady rise or did it sometimes not go up orr down?

I had a little ascites when first diagnose but with first recurrence it's much worse.had 5 litres drained last week and waiting to be drained again today. On weekly taxol/carbo and the good news is ca125 is going down. Hopefully ascites will reduce the more chemo I have. I agree though, this is the worst symptom of my cancer xxx

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders