Did anyone have a rash prior to ovarian cancer?

I had endometrial cancer 3 years ago; I was recently told I have a cyst on my ovary and have to wait 3 months to see if there is a change. I'm concerned as all my symptoms are similar to ovarian cancer, i.e., bloating, fatigue, belching, low back pain and pain in my left groin. I've also noticed I have a rash on my forehead and neck. I'm wondering if anyone else had those symptoms due to a cyst or if my symptoms are indeed ovarian cancer.......did anyone have a rash on the forehead or neck? My father has leukemia; but I don't think that is hereditary......your opinions please.....tx.

30 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks for your reply. I never mentioned the rash to my doctor.....I think I'll schedule another appointment as I have neck pain and a rash......and painful lymph nodes. It took me a year to convince drs. that there was something wrong before and then they finally discovered I had endometrial cancer. My body is telling me something is a miss; my energy level has decreased over the past few months. I'm just not feeling well. Thanks for your comments on the rash; I'll look into that......

Wow, I struggled with a horrible itchy rash before my diagnosis--although it was mostly on my torso and arms. And then again before my recurrence was diagnosed. The dermatologist did all sorts of tests and they never found the cause, I wonder if it was the cancer!

Maybe.....my rash isn't itchy......its on both sides of my neck for quiet some time, and just started on my forehead. I have a cyst now, so maybe that's why I have the bloating, and pelvic pain. Can you tell me more of your symptoms of OC. I had endometrial cancer 3 years ago but opted to keep my ovaries.....and now I fear I may have OC. I've all the symptoms, but don't know if the cyst is causing them......anything you can share or remember will help. Thank you.

Well, I have all those symptoms. Can a cyst cause the exact same symptoms? I have nausea as well. Wonder if its just a cyst......oh well, I'll just have to wait 3 months and see if there is a change to the cyst. Just seems a long time to wait.......

Just my opinion, but I would not wait 3 months. Have they done a ca125? I would def get that done sooner than later. Not to worry you, but if it is something you want it taken care of now.

My recurrence I felt a lump in my side...not a good thing. The chemo I took totally wiped it out and I am so thankful. I am on chemo again but for nodularity somewhere in there...that lump is still gone. I had no symptoms first go round and no symptoms other than the lump the second.

Best of luck to you.
:)Kim

Kim, they did do a CA125 but told me to come back for the results in 3 months that's when I get the 2nd ultrasound. I'm going to schedule another apt. There's a history of colon, kidney and uterine cancer in my family, so I don't like the idea of waiting. Also, I have the flu now for over a week; my body is slow to fight it. Thanks for your comments........I'll be making an apt for next week.......Trina

Hi Caitirish,

I'm in the SF Bay Area, too. I found this info about dermatomyositis in an article at discoverymagazine.com:

"Ovarian cancer is one of the malignancies that can sometimes cause dermatomyositis, a disease related to such autoimmune syndromes as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Like these disorders, dermatomyositis results from the immune system’s attacking normal tissues. In some cases the cause is unknown, but in others it is thought that viral infections have injured muscle cells and caused them to release their contents to an immune system that has never encountered them before. These contents include enzymes that run the cell’s protein-assembly machinery and other proteins that normally reside inside the cell’s nucleus. Responding to these molecules as if they were foreign, the body mounts an immune reaction, progressively destroying the body’s own muscle fibers and inflaming the overlying skin. Steroids that suppress the immune system help by dampening the reaction and diminishing the resulting rash, muscle pain, and weakness."

You were diagnosed with endometrial cancer 3 years ago, you have a family history of uterine cancer, you have a lot of the tell-tale symptoms of OC and your doctor wants to wait 3 months so you can do another scan? I'm sorry, but I think I would push a little harder for some answers. Waiting 3 months for the result of a CA125 is ridiculous. Are you with an HMO or a PPO? In other words, can you see another doctor? How did you learn that you have an ovarian cyst--pelvic ultrasound, transvaginal US or CT scan? Also, is this doctor who wants you to wait 3 months a gynecologic oncologist?

Hi, tx for your reply. The cyst was discovered during a transvaginal US......I thought it odd to be told to wait 3 months for a follow-up US, but from my reviews on-line I guess its normal procedure. The doc that told me the results of the US is not an oncologist. I'm going to schedule an apt with my regular doc next week and get a complete blood count done as well as ask for the results of the CA125. I was told however, that the results of the CA125 cannot confirm OC.

Did you have OC also?

before fist surgery had rash on torso-went to skin dr. and he said it could be an indicator of cancer. have not had with the two recurrances but the first time my ca 125 was over 3000

Incredible.....was your rash itchy? Mine is not and just on my neck and forehead. Also, did you have sciatica? I feel something is pressing on my sciatic nerve, I've bad pain on hip/buttocks......wonder if that's another possible symptom. I'm going back to the doc......this is too much pain....

I didn't have a rash or itching before I was diagnosed.

Mimzi, do you mind telling me what your symptoms were? Trina

Trina,
I don't have any insight about the rash, but I wish you good luck and I agree that you're better off not waiting the three months. Can you call and get your CA-125 results now rather than wait?

Tx somethingroyal......I just called and the doc is out today. I'm going to call in for the results tomorrow. I know the results don't always determine OC but I'm not waiting any longer. I need to find out if a cyst can produce the same symptoms as OC. Thanks for your message....

Yes, I had a rash or breaking out on my face, neck, back and arms and was being treated by a dermatologist about 3 months before I found out I had OC (I have clear cell - 1C). I had a lot of itching on my back but not on my face. He never mentioned that it could be an indicator of cancer. Best of luck to you and I pray yours is not OC

Maybe its not related as my rash doesn't itch. Thanks Faerae........I hope you're well. Did you have nausea, fatigue, bloating, pain? Trina

I had the hand rash that would come and go, the picture of it is on one of the links posted in previous response from Shamrock. I haven't had it since diagnosis and treatment. I'm stage 3c, high grade serous, remission.

I had a rash over my trunk, arms and legs about 9 months before diagnosis of OC. I thought it was hives because my nerves were in bad shape. My mother-in-law had been living with us six years and between dementia setting in, difficulty with both of us dealing with her, I didn't attribute the rash to any other cause. However, I had bloating, pain, and all the classic symptoms of OC but was totally ignorant. In April 2002 went to my GP who ordered a CT scan. After surgery, chemo, 8 months remission, another surgery and 30 months chemo and now November 2010 have been NED. I am so grateful for every day!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders