Cranberries and platinum chemotherapy

http://www.cancercompass.com/cancer-news/1,15254,00.htm
I drank Ocean Spray Cranberry juice the whole time I was on chemo, especially alot during chemo infusion and the week or so after. My CA125 came down dramatically. I plan to start drinking it again since it seems to have an anti ovarian tumor cell affect from this study. It sure can't hurt. For those of you on chemo now, it can't hurt and will keep you hydrated, keep the bladder infections away, and maybe help the chemo kill cancer cells. If you don't like the taste, cut it half and half with water. I did that with many juices when on chemo since it was easier to drink alot of it that way.

25 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks so much for the post...you are right...can't hurt. I just read that R.W Knudsen 100% Cranberry Juice is one of the best...has the most polyphenols. Good job keeping your eye out for all of us!

Thanks for that reference. I wish I had known that early on in my chemos when I battled a urinary infection after chemo 2 and 3. I did know that cranberry juice was helpful to fight infections prior to diagnosis, but guess my chemo brain forgot it during the chemo. Will start drinking it again to try and help the numbers come down. thanks again.
Pat

Very happy to hear about the cranberry juice! I have recently tried the cran-pomegranate juice - pretty good. I, too, cut the juice with water especially around the time I have metal taste in my mouth. Drink, drink, drink lots of liquids during chemo and all along the way - it helps!

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip about RW Knudsen 100% juice, koh847. I have been looking for something more concentrated and have not been able to find any. Thanks a million.

In a report presented at a national meeting of the American Chemical Society, scientists demonstrated in cell culture studies that human ovarian cancer cells resistant to platinum drugs became up to six times more sensitized to the drugs after exposure to the cranberry compounds in comparison to cells that were not exposed to the compounds, which were obtained from juice extracts.

The findings, in a study funded by the National Institutes of Health, have the potential to reduce the harmful side effects assoicated with using high doses of platinum drugs for the treatment of ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer cells tend to develop resistance to platinum therapy and higher doses of the drugs can cause unwanted side effects, including nerve damage and kidney failure.

Ovarian cancer cells were treated with various doses of a purified extract of commercially available cranberry drink (containing 27% pure juice), exposed the cells to the platinum drug and compared them to cells that were not exposed to the extract. The maximum amount of juice extract given to the cells was the human equivalent of about a cup of cranberry juice.

Apparently, these compounds appear to bind to and block certain tumor promoter proteins found in ovarian cancer cells. The result seems to be that the cancer cells become more vulnerable to attack from the platinum drugs. Researchers hoped to eventually identify the most active anti-cancer fractions of the cranberry extract and determine the optimal dose for effectiveness against ovarian cancer.

Source: American Chemical Society

I had kidney damage going into chemo with taxol/carbo. I drank cranberry juice and water like it was a job....constantly having a glass by my side and drank the most around chemo time and the two weeks afterwards. My kidney values after 6 chemo treatments are still the same as at their optimal reading. I did get one bladder infection during chemo but it was not a real bad one...took cipro immediately and knocked it out. I also had dramatic results from chemo...my numbers went down quickly. I think it may have been in part the cranberry juice. I plan to start drinking it again. I still drink alot of water, green tea, ginger tea, organic skim milk, and other organic juices (pomegranate, acai, etc.), but plan to add back in my cranberry juice. Thanks for the info, gpawelski.

Boosting the drug senstivity of tumor cells with various compounds have been investigated for numerous years, to make it possible to give lower doses of a chemotherapy agent while still achieving an effective response and minimizing side effects. Specifically enhancing the sensitivity of cancer cells to killing by chemotherapy drugs has been a focal point of a number of research scientists.

There has been occasions when an ovarian cancer patient would have Chinese herbal medicines added to chemotherapy. Now, the herbal medicine probably didn't do all that much by itself, but what it seemed to do was to chemosensitize the tumor cells. While some believe that benefits may seem questionable, researchers from the Chinese Cochrane Centre, in a published study in the online journal Cochrane Library, found no evidence of harm among patients receiving herbal concoctions.

And according to a study published in the Annals of Oncology, treatment with Chinese herbal medicine may significantly reduce nausea associated with chemotherapy.

I too had read about this and drank Cranberry Juice
( 100 % juice, no sugar added ) throughout chemo, making sure to drink at least 2 glasses the day before, the day of, and the day after infusion. My CA-125 dropped to 7 before my 2nd treatment and has been in low single digits ever since. In addition to studies done on its impact in intensfying the effect of chemo, it is known to be an immune system stimulator, so it is one of the juices I drink on a regular basis.

Hi to all......interesting information. What about cranberry supplements, do they work the same as the cranberry juice. I have been taking these for years to help keep the uti's away. Curious to see what you all think.

I can't speak for the supplements. It seems like they would work. My daughter just finished a degree in dietetics and she says natural is always better than supplements....in other words, the food itself is better than a pill when possible. I have been buying nutrition books lately by Elaine Magee. She has one called Food Synergy that talks about eating certain foods together to enhance the absorption and action of the two foods' health benefits. She also wrote one about how to eat to avoid breast cancer. I bought that one too and figure some of the info translates to any female cancer. There are recipes in it as well. Go to Amazon.com and type in Elaine Magee and you will get a number of books she has written for sale. Not knocking nutritionists, but registered dieticians study food down to the cellular level in the body. Their training is much more extensive than a nutritionist. My daughter's program encompassed anatomy (their lab was with cadavers), physiology, organic chemistry, regular chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, and I could go on with all the dietetic courses, etc.. It is basically a premed degree. Now she has to do an 8-10 month rigorous internship in a hospital and then she can sit for the RD boards to become a registered dietician. There are even some nutritionist programs online so it is not nearly as rigorous a study. That is why I look for authors who have RD after their name.

I just found 100% cranberry juice Ocean Spray brand at Harris Teeter grocery store. There is a Lakeland brand that is organic at some of the healthfood stores. I could not find the RW Knudsen brand here in my area which I would have preferred. It is very tart but I added water and a Truvia and it was not too bad. Truvia is a natural sugar substitute made from the stevia plant, I think.

Great to hear this about drinking cranberry juice....
will go out and get some of thats PRONTO
:D

I have heard some someone on here about drinking welshs' grape juice and that their own doc said it had anti cancer effects... killing off cancer cells
so a middle of the night drink for me is welshes.,...
or early morning... like 5 am
before... I am really getting up for the day

pomegranite is supposed to be good also

maybe we should post one for each kind of juice & its effect on cancer >???
Just a midnight thought ranbling in my head....

ttfn for now
thanks MOM

I tried but I hate cranberry juice,,it is just something I can't get over. I hate the stuff like poison!!

I too had read this study and started drinking 100% cranberry juice mixed with something while on carbo. I plan to do it again when I go back on carbo next month. You can always mix it with a little gingerale to cut the taste.
Also the GOG is starting a trial that studies the effects of diet and exercise. The PI sites a study where the diet included lots of fresh fruit and veggie juices. I'm looking into buying a juicer. I see the one advertised on TV by Jack LaLane. Any advice from people who have juicers?

Thanks for this information. I had not read or heard anything about the benefits of cranberry juice for ovca patients. I do like it and bought some sugar free, 100% juice yesterday. I just finished 10 months of chemo for my 3rd ovca recurrence in 4 years. Luckily mine is still platinum sensitive, but may not be if I ever have to do this again. I have stayed away from cancer related articles of late, just get tired of it being the only thing I read about. Now it is time to get healthy and strong again. Thanks ladies!

Hello All!

Just an fyi about Cranberry juice. I also started drinking the juice for my first chemo. Then looked on the Slone Kettering Complementary Medicine database. Found that you should NOT drink this juice if you are taking Warfarin/Coumadin for blood thinners. I know that many OVCA patients also have problems with blood clots because of the cancer, (I'm one of those). So just be aware that something that is so natural and good for you can have a bad reaction to other medicines..You all know to talk to the Doc. about all of this...
I had no clue and didn't think something so good for you was bad for me.

If you aren't having to take blood thinner...It looks like a really good additional to OVCA ladies diet...cheers!

Concerning the juicer, I have one and tried making real fruit juices. I wasn't that crazy about them. They do not taste the same and I guess it is because I am so used to store bought juices that contain additives. But they were thick and foamy, and you couldn't store them long, you are supposed to drink them after you make them. I didn't care for it and found it to be cumbersome, but I also didn't read up on having one either. I prefer to buy my juices at the store.

I had read the NIH study in Cure about a six fold sensitivity to Platinum drugs and ate dried cranberries by the bag along with cranberry juice during treatments.

When I mentioned this to my gyn/onc he said, "Sue your body is not a test tube". Guess what, I think it's just that, a major science experiment and depending on what we put in it or expose it to we are either a Mad Scientist or a Nobel Prize winner.

Sue

Patricia,

Cran-grape juice is very tasty, and the combination was recently touted as better health wise than cranberry juice alone. I take small bottle of cran-raspberry juice to work because sometimes I just get sick of water, water, water.

I had trouble drinking pomegranate juice, so I put 4 ounces in a pretty fluted wine glass. Then just sipped it like wine. Silly, but it helps. Also thought of it as a medicine I needed to take.

Really love the actual pomegranate seeds, sold in containers at the fruit market. Delish and a great lunch snack. Out of season now though.

Dried cranberries are better than the juice but you have to be careful about buying them. I tried them from Meijers and spit them out, real chemical taste. Didn't like them from Pappa Joe's either, but they were real good from Vince and Joe's. So you just have to shop around your local fruit vendors.

Sue

Wow...this certainly sounds promising. Drink up girls!
Do whatever you have to get it down even if you hate the taste! :-)

Thanks for that great article!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders