COMPLEX OVARIAN CYST

what is a complex ovarian cyst? Should this be biopsied? Is this a sign of ovarian cancer? Thanks

6 replies. Join the discussion

If you have the opportnity to get them removed and have no use for them, take advantage of it. I've had ovarian cysts, even had a dermoid or teratoma (same thing). I begged my Dr. to just take them out, I was 35 at the time. He wouldn't take them out, even though I knew I wasn't going to need them. Now look where I'm at...

Good luck to you!

A teratoma tumor or dermoid cyst is parthenogenetic, which means reproduction without fertilization. These cysts can have hair, teeth, bone etc. Pretty freaky huh? They are not a undeveloped twin, these are produced by women by themselves! Mine had brain tissue!

Ov cysts:simple cyst- fluid filled, complex- areas of fluid mixed with solid material.

Dear x-raygirl,

IF THE COMPLEX CYST MEANS PART FLUID AND PART MATERIAL, HOW DO WE KNOW IF THE MATERIAL PART DOES NOT HAVE ANY CANCEROUS CELLS? I WAS TOLD THAT THE FLUID PART OF AN OVARIAN CYST IS NOT CANCEROUS, AND WE JUST NEED TO WORRY IF THE OVARY PRESENTS WITH SOLID MATERIAL, IS THIS THE SAME INFORMATION YOU WERE GIVEN? THANK YOU SO MUCH.

From my understanding if they are fluid filled it is not a big deal. They will eventually burst and be absorbed by the body. As far as the complex cyst goes, I don't think you can know for sure if the solid part is cancerous without a biopsy.

Mine was diagnosed as a complex cyst via ultrasound during my pregnancy last year. Had it removed during my c-section and pathology came back borderline ovarian. During the operation I overhead my doctor say it looked like a dermoid cyst. Good luck to you. I pray it's nothing!

Have a gynecologic oncologist take it out. Mine was popped by accident by my ob/gyn and she even told my husband, after my laparoscopy, that everything looked fine, not cancerous. Ended up being Stage 2C because she had popped it and it was cancer, would have been a 1a, if not for that. So, get a gyn/onc to perform a laparoscopy. Probably nothing, but MUCH better safe, than sorry.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders